200.000 vehicles off the road?????

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
200,000 vehicles could be taken off the roads

The director of Ground Transport, Luis Estrella says that as a result of inspections carried out for the issuing of the "revista" stickers, around 200,000 vehicles would be removed from circulation starting in January. The vehicles are said to not meet the physical and mechanical conditions established by Transit Law 241-67. Estrella said there are around one million vehicles in circulation, of which 20% will be removed. "We are not delivering the "revista" to vehicles that are in a bad condition. He said that the DGII should do the same and not issue the drivers license stickers, the "marbete" to those that are not in optimal conditions. He said that Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) officers would decide if they could circulate or not. The inspectors are checking for chassis, window glass and indicators in adequate conditions. The inspectors are being lenient with the legal requirements that establish that the mirrors, lights system, muffler, and tires must be in good condition. Likewise, every car needs to have a spare, tire jack, emergency kit, security triangle and fire extinguisher.

Renovaci?n de Revista sacar? de las calles 200 mil chatarras -

It would be an improvement but whether it will be done that's the RD$20million question

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's more like 200 million question, because if they charge around 1000 pesos to each one to overlook the issue that's how much they'll be making, and guess what will happen?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This is so reminiscent of another country I lived in previously.Exactly the same order and reasoning almost to the letter.

No real test stations and a corrupt system together with high vehicle replacement cost plus unsatisfactory spares and mechanics.

It rapidly became a license for the police and the like to make goods sums of money.
It's still is.....

I would expect the same here but........ I'm willing to be surprised.

Jan 9, 2004
200,000 vehicles could be taken off the roads

The director of Ground Transport, Luis Estrella says that as a result of inspections carried out for the issuing of the "revista" stickers, around 200,000 vehicles would be removed from circulation starting in January. The vehicles are said to not meet the physical and mechanical conditions established by Transit Law 241-67. Estrella said there are around one million vehicles in circulation, of which 20% will be removed. "We are not delivering the "revista" to vehicles that are in a bad condition. He said that the DGII should do the same and not issue the drivers license stickers, the "marbete" to those that are not in optimal conditions. He said that Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) officers would decide if they could circulate or not. The inspectors are checking for chassis, window glass and indicators in adequate conditions. The inspectors are being lenient with the legal requirements that establish that the mirrors, lights system, muffler, and tires must be in good condition. Likewise, every car needs to have a spare, tire jack, emergency kit, security triangle and fire extinguisher.

Renovaci?n de Revista sacar? de las calles 200 mil chatarras -

It would be an improvement but whether it will be done that's the RD$20million question

That law has been in effect for many years has done little to remove the clinkers off the road. If they really tried to enforce it, every syndicate and transport union would strike until the government acquiesced. Unfortunately, the law is only for show.

If the government really wanted to improve the quality of vehicles circulating in the DR, they would allow vehicles between 5-10 years old to be imported. It makes little sense for a poor country to allow in only vehicles that can only be afforded by 20% of the population (vehicles no older than 5 years).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That law has been in effect for many years has done little to remove the clinkers off the road. If they really tried to enforce it, every syndicate and transport union would strike until the government acquiesced. Unfortunately, the law is only for show.

If the government really wanted to improve the quality of vehicles circulating in the DR, they would allow vehicles between 5-10 years old to be imported. It makes little sense for a poor country to allow in only vehicles that can only be afforded by 20% of the population (vehicles no older than 5 years).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the government would allow the importation of older vehicles, but they are beholden to the new car dealers, who do not want that. those are the guys who are in place to act as loansharks in the event the government needs an emergency infusion of cash.

Aug 6, 2006
Last summer, I took a guagua back to Barahona from Para?so. It had a huge dent in the shattered windshield that looked like a bowling ball had tried to escape from it.There was no blood, though. I did what I always do: I looked at the tires. If I see cord peeking thru where the tread should be, I take the next guagua. Of course, this is hard to do when it is raining or at night.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Someone asked if you can do it online marbete renewal still, as they have extended it through January? online or only exterior locations you must appear at?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
the government would allow the importation of older vehicles, but they are beholden to the new car dealers, who do not want that. those are the guys who are in place to act as loansharks in the event the government needs an emergency infusion of cash.

What? What are talking about, rambling meanderings of some paranoid plot, with zero integrity or proof! Post us your research on this, where are your facts to such mindless drivel? How are car dealers acting as loan sharks for the government, where is proof of this? Sheesh..

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Someone asked if you can do it online marbete renewal still, as they have extended it through January? online or only exterior locations you must appear at?

It can only be paid at the banks as far as I know because of the extra RD$600 fine they have to collect . The online system was shut down in December.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Let me see...
- they stole my jack...
- they stole my spare... their loss
- never seen a security triangle here
- got the fire thingy at home...

If somebody sees a 1997 4-runner with 2 white sideguards on the passenger side of the car... can you please steal them back and let me know by pm?

Thanks

BelgianK

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It can only be paid at the banks as far as I know because of the extra RD$600 fine they have to collect . The online system was shut down in December.

Mixing things here. Even though arrugula says marbete, (s)he probably means revista, of which the time to get it was extended to 31st of January. Revista can't be done online, you can find a buscon though that will get the legitimate revista without needing to bring your car, just with your copy of matricula and insurance.

Or pay for the jackpot for just the sticker without any process.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The reasoning is sound. Dangerous Buggered up old cars polluting the sky and roads.
Get 'em off!
Who could disagree?

The foundation for actually being able to put in a fair and impervious system?

Nah!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Please please remove the cars with no lights what so ever, front or back - they drive all night long with their imaginary night goggles - dead trap !