Shipping under $200 laptop to DR from reputable dealer? Will it pass by aduana?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I understand services like PickNSend and EPS will only charge a rate/pound for anything under $200. No tax is involved here.

But let's say a business like Walmart or a reputable ebay/Amazon seller sells a new (but older) laptop for $190. Will it go through aduana and will I have to pay 18%?

I'm not talking about an imac or something expensive that I miraculously bought for $190. I'm actually talking about an old laptop that may cost about $230 regular price, but today it's at $190. These are old laptops with 1GB ram and a 50GB drive, with no OS.

Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does not matter what business sends it, if it is less than $200 no tax. Use EPS, they are very dependable and clear customs same day.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Does not matter what business sends it, if it is less than $200 no tax. Use EPS, they are very dependable and clear customs same day.

Just be sure that an invoice is included in the package so that the aduana doesn't need to guess at the price.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Laptop = $$$$$ to aduanas

Invoice slip....ya whatever like Iverson said " we're talkin about practice" but substitute practice for Aduanas

They make up the own rules

Hands down the most corrupt, incompetent, uneducated and illogical of all the government departments and it's not ever close

But I'll tell you later how I really think......

EPS they are just another of Aduanas little bitch's they do what they are told

Maybe you'll be lucky though and I don't mean to offend anyone but like I have stated on this site before I HATE ADUANAS !

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Laptop = $$$$$ to aduanas

Invoice slip....ya whatever like Iverson said " we're talkin about practice" but substitute practice for Aduanas

They make up the own rules

Hands down the most corrupt, incompetent, uneducated and illogical of all the government departments and it's not ever close

But I'll tell you later how I really think......

EPS they are just another of Aduanas little bitch's they do what they are told

Maybe you'll be lucky though and I don't mean to offend anyone but like I have stated on this site before I HATE ADUANAS !

Have no idea what prompted this rant, but I buy a lot from Amazon and other US sources and have it shipped via EPS. Have never had a problem with either EPS or the aduana. If there is an invoice in the package, it goes right through, no questions asked. If there is no invoice, EPS contacts me and asks for the invoice. I copy what was sent me by email by the seller when he confirmed my purchase and send it to EPS.

Either way, as long as the total is under $200 there are no issues, no problems, no charges.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
But if it's a laptop, are you guys sure that it doesn't go through aduana even if it's under $200 and it has an invoice from a reputable busines?

I talked to my rep from Picknsend and she says that it if it's a laptop (in this case, a 12-lb box), even if it's under $200 and there's a valid invoice, it will go through aduana and they will find the "real book value", whatever that means.

Last edited:

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
But if it's a laptop, are you guys sure that it doesn't go through aduana even if it's under $200 and it has an invoice from a reputable busines?

I talked to my rep from Picknsend and she says that it if it's a laptop (in this case, a 12-lb box), even if it's under $200 and there's a valid invoice, it will go through aduana and they will find the "real book value", whatever that means.

BINGO ! Like I said in the first line of my post

Laptops = $$$$$

and now I will direct you back to my original post

I hope for your sake that were both wrong though

Buena Suerte !

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Have no idea what prompted this rant, but I buy a lot from Amazon and other US sources and have it shipped via EPS. Have never had a problem with either EPS or the aduana. If there is an invoice in the package, it goes right through, no questions asked. If there is no invoice, EPS contacts me and asks for the invoice. I copy what was sent me by email by the seller when he confirmed my purchase and send it to EPS.

Either way, as long as the total is under $200 there are no issues, no problems, no charges.

So naive.......and it's not ranting it's truthing

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You can always dispute the charges before getting the merchandise from customs. You can go and show them the walmart website so they can see the price for themselves, but IMHO you will spend more in gas than in tax. Relax, even if they consider the laptop price to be $400 or $500 USD, the taxes should'n't even be DOP 2K.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
bought several laptops under 200$ through amazon, and shipped through encargopaq... never had an issue...

BelgianK

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
You can always dispute the charges before getting the merchandise from customs. You can go and show them the walmart website so they can see the price for themselves, but IMHO you will spend more in gas than in tax. Relax, even if they consider the laptop price to be $400 or $500 USD, the taxes should'n't even be DOP 2K.

How did you come to the price of DOP2k for something that's $400-500? The tax is only on the price, right? Or do the dimensions come into play?
My fiance got a tv that cost $470 and had to pay DOP13k. I'm guessing that's about 80% of the cost of the tv.Something just doesn't seem right. The company she used is Vimenpaq.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
How did you come to the price of DOP2k for something that's $400-500? The tax is only on the price, right? Or do the dimensions come into play?
My fiance got a tv that cost $470 and had to pay DOP13k. I'm guessing that's about 80% of the cost of the tv.Something just doesn't seem right. The company she used is Vimenpaq.

Tax % varies according to the type of product. Computers and related products enjoy the lowest tax %, and home appliances are among the highest. I got that number from my own experience. I just bought an XBOX ONE as a gift, the price in Amazon was $399, and I paid RD$ 1,500 in taxes.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009

So you paid 2,000 pesos for a $500 laptop? In other words, you paid about $540 to retrieve the laptop from EPS?

What's the rule-of-thumb for laptops? Because the picknsend rep seemed to think that I will pay 18% in taxes. She suggested that even if the invoice said $180, the people from aduana will assume that the invoice was 'fixed' so that I would not have to pay taxes.

In other words, according to picknsend, aduana assumes that sub-$200 laptops do not exist and any laptop at under $200 is really the buyer trying to rip off aduana in order to not pay taxes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have shipped many electronic items via EPS, including laptops. never an issue. never paid taxes on items invoiced below 200 bucks, regardless of their value in DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i have shipped many electronic items via EPS, including laptops. never an issue. never paid taxes on items invoiced below 200 bucks, regardless of their value in DR.

Ditto for me as well. And I had a few "sleepers", where the invoice was a Fugazy and never paid. EPS has a good hook in Aduana.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Same here

I had an experience recently where the true value was questioned. I sent a screen shot of the catalog page to EPS and the item was processed normally without further questions.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
EPS specifically has great contact with aduanas. i would send the laptop with them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OLDschool" looks like you need a "Refresher Course"!!!!
I am posting on an "Acer Chrome" that I purchased online from Amazon.com a few months ago.
It cost $199 US Dollars,..."Lucky Me",... came in UNDER $200!
I had it shipped "EPS", NO "Aduana" charges.
Just as "KEN", who never posts anything that isn't "Spot On', especially if it involves shipping something to the DR, posted!!!!!
I just "Think" I know everything about the DR, Ken actually DOES!!!
Soooooooooooooooo, order that "Laptop" if it will have an invoice of under $200.
AND, the shipping costs are not added to the invoice.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Same here

I had an experience recently where the true value was questioned. I sent a screen shot of the catalog page to EPS and the item was processed normally without further questions.

I guess picknsend is full of BS then.

Is it possible that this could be incorrectly managed by the courier (eps, picknsend, etc)? Or is it the same for everyone? In other words, can picknsend (or anyone else) screw me?

The reason I moved to picknsend is that their cost/pound (DOP$172) is a bit less than EPS.