In the Time of the Butterflies

S

Susana

This is a new 2001 (made for TV I think) movie made about the Dominican Republic. Does anyone know how and where I can see it or buy it?

N

Nancy

I just watched it on ShowTime a week or so ago. Maybe they will show it again.

C

Carol

Nancy

I would love to watch it too. Unfortunately I am in England and although I have cable, that's not a channel I get.

If anyone knows when it comes out on video or DVD I would be grateful.

Carol

T

Tony Castaneira

Don't waste your time.

I am not going to get into the politics of the story. But as a movie it was poorly made. Salma hayek, while a stunning woman, cannot act her way out of a paper bag. Edward James Olmos was terrible as Trujillo. The movie was made in Mexico and in no way looked like the DR.

Other Points: What Dominican parents would let their Teenage Daughters ride a train(?) to Santo Domingo by themselves back in the 40's? Why Would Trujillo alow himself to be allow himself to be alone in a room with a enemy? How would a girl be allowed to threaten El jefe with a Bow and Arrow and not be swarmed over by Trujillo's bodyguards?

Just a few of the many ridiculous points of the movie.

F

FRED

Re: Don't waste your time.

Hollywood movies are just as ridiculous. The movie "Black Rain" starring Michael Douglas(Not his real name)a Jew,has to save the Japanese from themselves. How utterly riduculous.

G

GringoCarlos

The book is a good read, but remember it is FICTION with some historical facts, and is available in Spanish or English. The movie was a waste of time.

M

Mame

HEY, GUYS: Re: Don't waste your time.

Give us a break... WE KNOW FACT FROM FICTION! Don't try to deprive us women of a "chick flick." It's the sort of "story line" that women like in a movie - get it?! While it's true the movie very much deviated from the real, true political side of the story, we women have to admire the "butterflies"!!! You guys have your "heroes" - we got ours, too! And, fellas, you don't need to respond - me woman, me live in USA!! nuff said!

-Mame-

M

marykohn

I think the character Michael Douglas played had to save his own reputation, by saving his "face" in spite of being in a really foreign culture where things are done completely differently. I'll agree, it wasn't a movie everybody would like.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: HEY, GUYS: Re: Don't waste your time.

Forgeting the facts or politics the movie sucked. Bad acting and terrible editing. My wife. who loved the book(go-figure!) saw the movie also. We even video taped it to send to friends in the DR. She hated the movie so much she erased the tape.