Half Frozen Kindle Screen - Any help out there??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I packed my Kindle with about 50 unread books, was working great in NJ. It's the original Kindle reader. Got here to DR last week, and after a couple of days I decided to relax with a book - but the top half of the screen is frozen and has both horizontal and vertical lines through it.

Yes I've googled, tried restarting it several times, tried plugging it in to the USB port. Took off the cover [leather Kindle cover with light] and tried again.

Throw it in the trash??

May 29, 2006
Just hold it over your head and shake it until the screen clears..

flair-etch-a-sketch-classic_282097.jpeg.jpg

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Absolute record for thread hijack!!
Even includes a mod....

Leave the Kindle on and keep switching it on until it is completely discharged and refuses to open.
Leave it for a bit and repeat until it's really dead.
Plug in to a computer USB and not the wall outlet and leave to recharge for several hours.Do not switch on.
On switch on it should display the opening cover page.

If that doesn't work, use a pin to reset the reset button but you'll lose your books. (I think. Never had the courage to do it.)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Its most likely dead, I've had 2 kindle readers die on me in similar fashion, they are extremely fragile.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Am I missing something?
Or folks here can't even tell the differences between tablet and e-reader?

Yes, I still use a 56K modem to dial in, oh gotta go, I think a call is coming in.
Perhaps you can teach me the difference later.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, I still use a 56K modem to dial in, oh gotta go, I think a call is coming in.
Perhaps you can teach me the difference later.

You look it up why thousands of people still use modems.

For me I love carrying my nook because.
1. Easier to read any time of day.
2. I can read it for hours after hours and It less strains my eyes.
3. Battery last months instead of hours.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You look it up why thousands of people still use modems.

For me I love carrying my nook because.
1. Easier to read any time of day.
2. I can read it for hours after hours and It less strains my eyes.
3. Battery last months instead of hours.

Yes, different Nooks for different Mooks, enjoy your Kindle!

FYI, I have an iPad and ONLY use Android phones, and have a windows environment on my desktop. Each serves its own purpose.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Should have bought an iPad, apple never breaks!

Yeah.... well..... ahem.....

I received a beautiful iPad Air on Christmas Eve. When the Kindle died, I downloaded a couple of books onto it. Yesterday, in the middle of a good book, I left it on the table to go do something. When I got back the screen was off. It died a fast death. Will not turn on, will not charge, D - E - A - D.

Does anyone know if there is an Apple store in SD that would honor the warranty on this?????? It was purchased in NJ.

I don't go back there for 4 months, I know when I do that Apple will replace it, but I need it now!!!

I feel like I've had the kiss of death put on me! Now, if something happens to the MacBook Pro I'll have to go drown myself at the corner.

May 29, 2006
If it's toast, DON'T throw it out! It's very likely you can move the memory card to an external drive or replacement reader.