Iron bars for windows and balcony?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I need to put iron bars on my apartment windows and balcony in Santiago...Any recommendations on who does that kind of work in Santiago?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wow! I hear a lot of Crickets!

Be patient. You are asking for specific information, not common knowledge or gossip. Sometimes that takes longer to get. You have to wait until someone able to give you good information sees your question.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Burglar-Proofing

I need to put iron bars on my apartment windows and balcony in Santiago...Any recommendations on who does that kind of work in Santiago?

We are having grilles (not for the house we live in) made in SD, about 180 km from here....
There are reasons for doing so.

We'll install them ourselves.
Again, there are reasons for doing so.

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can locate Wilson from "La Sorpresa" workshop, you have a gem. They have done almost all of my ironwork to perfection.

Another possibility is Liberto Rodriguez, who has his shop on Calle Arturo Grullon, in back of Charlie's Motors, which is across the side street from Arcadio Diaz' Atalier. Charlie's is on Metropolitana.
Liberto is an expert with steel...

And there are lots of people that do that work in Santiago.

If not in a big hurry, wait until I get back on Saturday and we can talk.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Be patient. You are asking for specific information, not common knowledge or gossip. Sometimes that takes longer to get. You have to wait until someone able to give you good information sees your question.

Plus it is a long holiday weekend here. Plus lots of live in rented apartments which already HAVE bars and windows. Plus gee -- honestly -- from 11 PM to 10 AM the next day, you consider a long wait? You will have a lot of adjusting to do for life here. It is the Christmas holidays... no one really gets back to work til.. well. say.. mid January,. and then there is the long weekend for independence day.. and then of course, there is the preparation for Carnival and there are probably two or three more long weekends in there for various saints and battles.. then .. well Before Semana Santa.. ok.. if you have to wait til after Semana Santa for an answer.. that might begin to be a long wait.

Paz sciencia

the science of peace

we gringos are sent here to learn it

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Plus it is a long holiday weekend here. Plus lots of live in rented apartments which already HAVE bars and windows. Plus gee -- honestly -- from 11 PM to 10 AM the next day, you consider a long wait? You will have a lot of adjusting to do for life here. It is the Christmas holidays... no one really gets back to work til.. well. say.. mid January,. and then there is the long weekend for independence day.. and then of course, there is the preparation for Carnival and there are probably two or three more long weekends in there for various saints and battles.. then .. well Before Semana Santa.. ok.. if you have to wait til after Semana Santa for an answer.. that might begin to be a long wait.

Paz sciencia

the science of peace

we gringos are sent here to learn it

t's true that January can be somewhat of a lost month here with so many national holidays, but contact the people hillbilly has mentioned or wait and talk to him, as he suggested. There are plenty of places desperate for your money, but why not go with a recommendation from a reliable old hand like HB.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
If you can locate Wilson from "La Sorpresa" workshop, you have a gem. They have done almost all of my ironwork to perfection.

Another possibility is Liberto Rodriguez, who has his shop on Calle Arturo Grullon, in back of Charlie's Motors, which is across the side street from Arcadio Diaz' Atalier. Charlie's is on Metropolitana.
Liberto is an expert with steel...

And there are lots of people that do that work in Santiago.

If not in a big hurry, wait until I get back on Saturday and we can talk.

HB

Thanks HB!

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
And thanks to everybody...didn't mean to seem impatient!

We had somebody downtown to do iron work but he didn't seem to know how to do certain things, so I was always skeptical. It time to get somebody else!

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
And thanks to everybody...didn't mean to seem impatient!

We had somebody downtown to do iron work but he didn't seem to know how to do certain things, so I was always skeptical. It time to get somebody else!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Grilles (Burglar Proofing)

.... he didn't seem to know how to do certain things, so I was always skeptical. It time to get somebody else!

There should be good craftsmen in Santiago.
{We decided on SD because of easier transport.}

I'd advise against having several people come to your place for a quote.
I'd certainly wait for HB's advice.

We sent our own design via email to the w/shop.

Wall anchors (as part of the grille) should go through the wall, not just into the wall.
{You can stop short of piercing the wall and insert a 3/8" bolt at 90 degrees in a hole at the anchor's end.}

Hot-dip galvanizing would be the best; Zinc Coating Paint "Crown" # 7007Q is a good alternative.

Install yourself, if possible.

donP

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
DonP:
Bought a house, already had bars. Lousy paint job,- gobby, runny , ugly welds and rusting in a lot of spots. Had new ones made for a new room we created,- came brand new and just as ugly as the old ones,- poor paint, ugly weld and rust showed up with days!
Can you explain "hot dip galvanizing"? Also , where can you get zinc coating paint 'crown' 7007Q. Trying to resurrect these old bars rather than replace them,- tho ugly, they seem quite secure.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
DonP:
Bought a house, already had bars. Lousy paint job,- gobby, runny , ugly welds and rusting in a lot of spots. Had new ones made for a new room we created,- came brand new and just as ugly as the old ones,- poor paint, ugly weld and rust showed up with days!
Can you explain "hot dip galvanizing"? Also , where can you get zinc coating paint 'crown' 7007Q. Trying to resurrect these old bars rather than replace them,- tho ugly, they seem quite secure.