Criscol and MSG in my pollo Frito

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Why would anyone put MSG into Pollo Frito, is that the way they do it down here?

She insisted we use Crisco( ok bad enough).. When we were both cleaning up afterwards I noticed the "Glutamato de Sodio".. I tried to explain that is a food preservative and not that good for you, she didn't hear a word.

ingredients included Oregano and Paprika, squeezed fresh lemon, and the usual... But MSG?

Considering we ate it all in one sitting no need to preserve the pollo...
The only other thing is I thought she used to much oil and it splattered all over the place..
Must admit it tasted like Chicken my mother would make in the 70's, Best Fried Chicken I've had in years...

May 29, 2006
Really.. choose your battles. Someone cooks a meal for you and you whine? You actually complained to them? Then you post your first world rant here??? I would have kicked you out of the house.

What an ass!!

MSG has no flavor, but it "wakens" up the pallet. It's not just a preservative.

Just a tip, if you want to date a Dominican, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!

Last edited:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Really.. choose your battles. Someone cooks a meal for you and you whine? You actually complained to them? Then you post your first world rant here??? I would have kicked you out of the house.

What an ass!!

MSG has no flavor, but it "wakens" up the pallet. It's not just a preservative.

Just a tip, if you want to date a Dominican, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!

haha.....

May 29, 2006
It's also in Maggi Chicken bouillon:

Salt, sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil**, monosodium glutamate, cornstarch, and less than 2% of onion powder, chicken fat, dehydrated chicken, garlic powder, turmeric, disodium inosinate, spices, TBHQ (preservative). **Adds a trivial amount of trans fat. Made on equipment that also processes wheat, milk, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish.

Surprised he's not a damn vegan...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why would anyone put MSG into Pollo Frito, is that the way they do it down here?

She insisted we use Crisco( ok bad enough).. When we were both cleaning up afterwards I noticed the "Glutamato de Sodio".. I tried to explain that is a food preservative and not that good for you, she didn't hear a word.

ingredients included Oregano and Paprika, squeezed fresh lemon, and the usual... But MSG?

The only other thing is I thought she used to much oil and it splattered all over the place..
Must admit it tasted like Chicken my mother would make in the 70's, Best Fried Chicken I've had in years...

Not a fan of MSG myself but Peter is right, it is more than a preservative, it is also a meat tenderizer. Unfortunately, it's also not very good for you. The rest of the ingredients are fine. However having said that I hope you were more gracious with her in person than you are on here. Don't be such a whiner. Winners don't whine.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Not a fan of MSG myself but Peter is right, it is more than a preservative, it is also a meat tenderizer. Unfortunately, it's also not very good for you. The rest of the ingredients are fine. However having said that I hope you were more gracious with her in person than you are on here. Don't be such a whiner. Winners don't whine.

Never whined, maybe the post came across that way... I simply held her hand tightly looked her square in the eyes and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She knows I'm appreciative of her cooking..

Last edited by a moderator:
May 29, 2006
Let's be clear. You whined!

Maybe the MSG makes you grumpy...

Next time you can take her here:

22663_1342302315123_2371180_n.jpg

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

You should cook for her. Show her how good food can taste without that stuff!

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Peter you are correct about msg just a little strong on the point. Many places in north America are no longer using it.
I have the best system. For the past 25 years I have done the cooking for mi esposa and my sons. That way I get to eat the food I like and my family is happy .