Santo Domingo reminds me of a Maze song

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
“How come the things that make us happy make us sad”
Joy and Pain-Maze

I’ve been here for 6 months now and I have to say most of it has been a positive experience.

One of the main reasons I like this place is that people just make things work. Maybe not efficient as it should be, but they make it happen.

Maybe because of the lack of regulations or non-enforcement of regulations things get done here. Also being poor you have to work with what you have.

One of my first examples of this was walking down a section of a street that was dark at night because it was not well lit. In the middle of that section is an apartment building. Someone made a homemade streetlight and strung some electric wire from the building to the light attached to a tree on the sidewalk. Now that section is lit and it didn’t take much to get it done.

Back in the US you would have had to jump through a bunch of red tape and adhere to different regulations to get that simple light installed.

Now on the other hand is that light properly installed? Could it cause harm to someone walking by? This is the reason we have regulations in the US.

I’ve seen other examples of things being done here that made me shake my head but at the same time, thought hey, if you don’t have many resources but things need to get done, what you going to do?

A list of some other observations on living here. This is only my short limited interaction, so take it for what it’s worth.

Food. Most Dominican food imo is bland. I do enjoy it but not anything I would write home about. There is a variety of different foreign places to eat.

Dominicans don’t mind calling someone, fat, skinny, black, white etc. I guess that’s good because it’s straight forward but does that also lead to the ruddiness I’ve experience (the cutting in line and making everything about them)

Men/ Women/Dating: Same as any other place. If you are the man, women expect you take care of certain things. I’m talking about those traditional man/woman roles. If you get caught up with a gold-digger or scammer don’t blame it on the country. It’s the man not the land.

I find myself embarrassed sometimes because of the images/ ideals I have of a third world country. Especially when those ideals are blown apart. Thinking everything is backward and behind the times. This is a modern city. I guess because the out of date stuff and the inefficiently of some basic services the nice things get over looked.

Then there are things like this revamped parked that makes be happy to be here. Sorry for some of shaky clips. I was testing out my glider. Need a lot more practice. LOL

parque - YouTube

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Glad you Dominican "Glass", is STILL "Half Full".
"Don't Worry, Be Happy" seems to be working for you.
I was like that too, 27 years ago!

ps., I like the "glider", and your video, just always remember, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOOOOOOOOOOW Dooooooooooooown"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Thanks, was kinda nervous first time using the equipment. Defiantly need to slooowwwww down.

Yep, doesn't take much to make me happy, and I've learned not to expect much from people. Funny thing the US made me adopt that mentality. LOL

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Does anyone know the significance of this statue? Also I forgot to post where this park is located. It's across the street from Plaza Baron, on the South side and across the street from Clinic Abreu on the North side. There is a type of boy scout club house on the North end of the park. There were a bunch of kids camping out in tents last night. Something I didn't expect to see.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's the famous,..."3 Kids Sitting On a Pile Of $HIT Holding a Bottle of Presidente" Aloft",statue!!!
It speaks volumes about Dominican Children's chances for a happy life!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My "Dominican Glass" is not "Half Full", Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, "Half Empty",......It' BROKEN!!!!

ps. They weren't "Camping Out", that's where they live!!!!!!!

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Now that's funny. I thought it had some type of a Greek or Roman tie-in. Thanks for the clarification. Don't cut yourself on that broken glass.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Dear GOD",what is DR! coming to????
Who let "RG84" in HERE???
A Sense Of Humor"??????
Do we allow THAT here?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps, "Greek" is not that popular here, BUTT, it is available!

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....... Also I forgot to post where this park is located. It's across the street from Plaza Baron, on the South side and across the street from Clinic Abreu on the North side. There is a type of boy scout club house on the North end of the park......

I wonder when they opened that park back up. That park was shut down for 4, 5 years or more. There is a restaurant across the street on the corner and every year the owner would put up a huge sign reminding people how many years the park has been closed. Good to know it is back open.

A lot of small projects have been going on in Gazcue lately. They are just about finished with the new sidewalk at the entrance of Parque Independencia.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Was working out at the park ( well trying to get back into it) and a Haitian came and start using the equipment. A police officer saw him and told him to leave. The Haitian had a look like, Why I'm just exercising."

I was a little taken back by this, but then I thought was this done out of hatred or because the park was paid for by tax payer money and the officer felt he was a free loader?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Was working out at the park ( well trying to get back into it) and a Haitian came and start using the equipment. A police officer saw him and told him to leave. The Haitian had a look like, Why I'm just exercising."

I was a little taken back by this, but then I thought was this done out of hatred or because the park was paid for by tax payer money and the officer felt he was a free loader?

which do you really think it is?

Aug 6, 2006
No: irony is a classification of aluminum at the scrap yard. If it has screws of steel in it or other ferrous metal, it is irony.
Der Fish

So irony can be detected with a magnet?

Ferraris are obviously Ironic and so is anyone named Herrera and ferreterias.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Another thing I like about the park is it is right next to my favorite spot for Chicharrones. I know people say Villa Mella has the best, but the ones I've tried were from there, but off a truck, so maybe not the best test. For now this place is the best I've had since being here and I've tried a few places. Best time to eat is right when they come out the grease!!! Yeah a cold Presindente and some hot Chicharrones!!!

check out my video and you might want to try yourself:

[video=vimeo;84178900]https://vimeo.com/84178900[/video]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's the famous,..."3 Kids Sitting On a Pile Of $HIT Holding a Bottle of Presidente" Aloft",statue!!!
It speaks volumes about Dominican Children's chances for a happy life!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My "Dominican Glass" is not "Half Full", Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, "Half Empty",......It' BROKEN!!!!

ps. They weren't "Camping Out", that's where they live!!!!!!!

Still laughing.