american man extorted in cabarete

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I don't know why but I smell something fishy with that story.... Why is the guy asking for money ???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he gathered 3,700 already, so he says. towards legal costs. that reminds me of a blog of some british dude who's been locked up for growing and selling pot and who's also asking for money to help with legal costs. don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe the whole legal and police part is not that unusual in DR.
But that he was "working to create an exchange program with American schools" in Cabarete?? it doesn't sound right to me.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah well looks like his story is truthfull to me....... either his stuff was robbed and rhe condo torched or it was an accidental fire and someone saw an opportunity to win a computer and some nice stuff.........

I sincerly hope things turn out ok for him. The donation thing is probably to pay the 10 000$ and get the f@#$ out of indian country!!!! And I dont blame him at bit !!!

Another police/justice association when they smell there is some $$ in for them. He should probably get another lawyer from out of town/region ( u never know if he his part of the game too )

Some more good PR for the dominican republic, north coast in particular. Good going local powers!!!! Shoot ureself in the foot, again.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I love it. We all know how corrupt this country is and yet the middle a gringo gets caught up in it, it's always his own fault.

Same with every single person that gets murdered.

I guess random crime doesn't happen in the DR... nor basic unabashed extortion. It must be the gringo is getting his just deserts.

Maybe it's our way of convincing ourselves that this kind of thing won't happen to us.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also, there goes the story that nothing bad ever happens to black foreigners in DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
More holes in this story then a wedge of Jarlsberg, IMO, this mook fell asleep in bed with a lit butt, and has no money to pay for the damages he caused.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sounds rather viable but his choice of destinations is suspect considering his objectives. I expect he will not be granted leave for 1/3 the cost of the requested compensation. I would suggest that the amount donated up to now might be slightly exaggerated to grease the wallets of those contemplating donating.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
also, there goes the story that nothing bad ever happens to black foreigners in DR.

A story told by one and believed by none.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe I am too jaded but the guy's story is quite inconsistent.

I relocated to the Dominican Republic on the 14th of October to pursue study abroad programming for American students and teachers, as well as to work on a documentary ?the other side of paradise?.

Probably got fired from his job and went South for a few months of beach bumming and mongering. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

After initiating my projects in the coastal beach town of Boca Chica, I decided to concentrate my efforts in the northern region of Puerto Plata in the small town of Cabarete.

Weird choice of locations for his "educational" project.

In order to penetrate and gain the respect of the local communities I solicited the assistance of a 24 year old Dominican whom I previously met and interacted with on prior visits.

Looks like he found himself a boyfriend. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

I left the apartment around 2:30pm to go work at my local writing spot, Vela Vela, located on the beach.
Around 6pm I finished my daily work and decided to return home. I encountered my assistant on the beach and he decided to return with me. We arrived around 6:30pm. ... After the initial walk through I noticed that my bag with my laptop, Ipad and US money were missing.

He goes to "work" without taking his laptop or iPad; what does his write on, table napkins? Why bring "assistant" home at night?

On a positive note, my bag with my laptop and Ipad were later found.

WTF? Half the post was about the alleged "robbery" and then out of nowhere everything is "found".

As I have traveled to the Dominican Republic various times over the last 4 years, I?m fully aware of the perils of working here: drug trafficking, police corruption, juvenile delinquency to prostitution....When I returned I was informed that I could not file a ?denuncio? for the robbery because they did not have a computer to do it. They were informally letting me know that in order to do so I would have to pay them. I refused.

The guy knows how things work in DR and wouldn't pay a few hundred pesos to file a report? This is just dumb.
I can go on here, but I think there is a story behind a story here. I see a boyfriend trying to go for a quick score to get his regalos de navidad, and trying to cover with a fire. The rest is building owner trying to cover their damages and little police action trying to fleece a gringo, nothing unusual.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This is stupid. It's just another variation of the widely played scam-a-gringo extortion game. I'm not a fire investigator but the left foot corner of the matress seems like the most damaged thing in the room and I'll bet that's where the fire started, leading me to believe that this Professor of "International Relations" may have popped a seed while sitting on the edge of the bed while reflecting upon his overall Dominican experience. Only a theory.

I would expect that the owner's damages don't really amount to much more than a grand but hey, it's the D.R. and why go for one when you can shoot for 10? That seems to be the standard "get-out-of-jail-card fee anyways. Just like with all the other vic's they'll gladly take the cash-in-hand and for his $3,500 our Man has acquired yet another credential in his quest for understanding in the field of International Relations.

It's obvious that his parents can't afford to help out. Their sweat shirts are from Wal-Mart along with most of the furnishings seen in the clip.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Believe the Dominican police or landlords or the American?? Hmmmm. tough call!

There is no real justice system here, we know that... This is why we are safe from ever becoming a developing country like our old friend Pichardo pitches.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
here's the story: Lynchburg Man Trapped In Scary Overseas Court Case - WSET.com - ABC13

and his personal blog with more details: Trapped in Paradise | American Extorted in the Dominican Republic

dominican today had this story as well.

It seems that he likes Latin America a lot.. and the boys and girls.. Start an exchange program in Boca Chica?? With the working girls?

He reminds me of some of the gringos i met in Venezuela.. They are so called English Teachers.. Barely speak Spanish.. do the work for a real bad salary.. only positive thing for them is that they date a lot of their female students..

May 29, 2006
Black American guy in his 30s, raised in the south, recently relocated to Cabarete, looking for money and possibly a scam artist..
Hmm.. why does that sound familiar? :)

Naw.. couldn't be. Odd how bad his grammar is for "an educator."

May 29, 2006
It seems to me someone in Cabarete could check out the story pretty quickly. Word gets out fast in a small place like Cabarete..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and a side note: facing 30 years in prison? please. this is a maximum penalty for murder.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
and a side note: facing 30 years in prison? please. this is a maximum penalty for murder.

Yes but it's quite an attention grabber.

He should have slipped the couple 1,000RD notes for the denuncia.

For a Guy who is so well educated in "International Relations" and has travelled through South America he is glowingly naive about the cost of doing business in the 3rd World. GWU and Trinity U are a pretty impressive resume for an educator.