infant mortality rate in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i posted the original story in another thread. few days ago 6 prematurely born children died in a public hospital in SD, allegedly because of an apagon that caused problems with equipment. originally the hospital claimed that only 2 kids died on the day of the long apagon and the other 4 died the day before, from unrelated causes (complications due to premature birth).
La muerte de seis ni?os provoca tensi?n en la Maternidad de Los Mina - DiarioLibre.com

today the ministerio de salud publica denies any deaths were caused by apagon and the causes of death were due to other causes.
El Ministerio de Salud P?blica respalda a la maternidad de Los Mina - DiarioLibre.com

this story has been picked up by all newspapers. in 2013 there were 2,600 infant deaths in DR with infant mortality rate for 2013 being 26.7 deaths per 1000 live births.
Revela que de 2,600 muertes de ni?os 80% fue de neonatos - listindiario.com

i looked at wiki and the newest rates are for 2005-2010, with DR showing the rate of 29.57 deaths per 1000 live births.
List of countries by infant mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WHO shows steady improvement in infant mortality too:
Mortality rate, infant (per 1,000 live births) | Data | Table

May 29, 2006
Here's a graph of childhood mortality rate in the DR. It was over 10% 40 years ago. Another factor is the number of kids who are being born in hospitals vs in some campo shack.

1524815_10202594458720178_187657300_n.jpg

One of the most common causes of childhood deaths is diarrhea from bad water(vibrio)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most of the public hospitals have inverters/generators, however I have no clue what they have tied into them (what equipment) The Dominican government claims, and probably with some justification that the DR's numbers of infant mortality do not accurately reflect Dominican mortality rates due to the number of Haitian births in the country, pushing the infant and mother mortality rates up due to the poorer health of the Haitian women.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Now let's look at the causes of infant mortality:

Minister of Public Health pledges to work on the issue of underage pregnancies and on increasing breastfeeding rates.

Santo Domingo - The Dominican Republic UNICEF office presented the 2009 State of the World’s Children report at an event headed by the Minister of Public Health (SESPAS) Dr. Bautista Rojas G?mez, United Nations System Resident Coordinator, Valerie Juliand, and the coordinator of the Catholic Church’s Mother and Child Pastoral Service, Father Jos? Navarro.Representatives of the Pan-American Health Office, USAID and the ILO also took part.

During the presentation of the report, UNICEF representative Francoise Gruloos-Ackermans emphasised that maternal and neonatal mortality is one of the country’s main challenges that has to be tackled as a priority, echoing recent declarations by the President of the Dominican Republic. She stated that preventing underage pregnancies was a serious problem that requires creativity, a joint effort, and careful analysis of successful experiences.

She also stressed that mother and newborn health and survival are intrinsically linked, and that many of the same interventions that save the lives of mothers will also benefit their newborn babies. Across the world, regions with high maternal mortality rates also register high neonatal mortality rates.

Quoting the report, which this year is devoted to Maternal and Neonatal Health, she said that women from the world’s less developed countries are 300 times more likely to die during childbirth or due to pregnancy-related complications, while children born in developing countries are 14 times more likely to die in the first month of life compared to children in industrialised countries.

Referring to maternal and infant mortality rates, the UNICEF Representative stated that “we cannot remain indifferent, especially as most of these deaths can be prevented”, even with simple measures like improving hygiene.

Commenting on the statistics that place the Dominican Republic among the countries with high maternal mortality rates, Minister of Health Bautista Rojas accepted that “there are problems that quality (in medical care), and this is what we have to improve”, while stressing that access to health services coverage was high.

“Initially, health providers attribute this quality problem to a lack of equipment, but the birth centres are equipped with machinery”, declared Rojas, referring to the causes of the high maternal and infant mortality rates. The minister emphasised the need for “the quality (of healthcare) to be taken on by the doctor from the pregnancy, birth and afterwards”.

In the Dominican Republic, out of 127 maternal deaths for each 100,000 live births, 27% occur as a result of pre-eclampsia, 21% due to post-natal complications, 12% due to haemorrhages, and a certain percentage as a result of abortions, as well as other causes, according to figures presented by Marisol Pe?a of the Health Ministry’s Epidemiology Department.

In most of these cases, deaths occur in mothers aged between 20 and 29 and 10 and 19, according to the expert. Almost 90% of maternal deaths take place in the country’s Eastern Region and in the frontier area, in public hospitals, and a low proportion occur at private clinics and victims’ homes.

A presentation followed on the work of the Mother and Child Pastoral Service, which works in the context of the efforts to reduce mother and child mortality, especially in the neo-natal period, as a community actor in poor neighbourhoods, using the example of Pastoral de la Crianza in Brazil, with a focus on a care continuum for mothers, newborn babies and children.

Father Jos? Navarro, director of the Pastoral Service, explained that “we are running an educational process with the mothers in their communities, seeking among other objectives to improve the timely use of health services and following the guidance and prescribed treatments at the health centres so that they are put into practice in people’s homes”.

The main results that have emerged about the impact of the Mother and Child Pastoral Programme include: A trend towards 46% reduction in chronic malnutrition, 48% reduction in risk of obesity, 39% reduction in rate of moderate or severe anaemia, three times higher exclusive breastfeeding rate until the age of six months and a 48% increase in the number of children who complete their first year vaccination schedule.

The launch ceremony was attended by a group of beneficiary mothers with their babies and volunteer advisers who work in the Mother and Child Pastoral Service programme, which runs in poor neighbourhoods of Santo Domingo and other cities in the Dominican Republic.

UNICEF Dominican Republic - Health - Minister of Public Health pledges to work on the issue of underage pregnancies and on increasing breastfeeding rates.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Most of the public hospitals have inverters/generators, however I have no clue what they have tied into them (what equipment) The Dominican government claims, and probably with some justification that the DR's numbers of infant mortality do not accurately reflect Dominican mortality rates due to the number of Haitian births in the country, pushing the infant and mother mortality rates up due to the poorer health of the Haitian women.

That is correct. The majority of Haitian women who cross over to give birth do not get prenatal care in Haiti.

May 12, 2005
I don't know why there isn't more emphasis on breast feeding. It is the healthiest thing for the baby and unlike formula, mother's milk is free.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, the number of infant (and maternal) deaths has been improving steadily for the past 5 decades. in DR and all over the world, thanks to better equipment, medicine and improvement in health and nutrition of women. back in the 70's my mother went to a gynecologist for the first time in her life when she was 9 months pregnant with my brother. she had absolute zero of prenatal checks of any kind...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If it continues to improve then reproduction must slow down, the human race can not continue to improve on these things and maintain reproduction at such a rate. I suspect we shall continue to grow and life shall continue to become more desperate for those responsible.

May 29, 2006
The birth rate in the DR has already declined to just over 2 births per woman. It's still around 3.5 in Haiti. The world population should level off to about 9 billion around 2050 with most growth in Africa. The world age pyramid will change so that there are more people who are older and fewer that are under 15.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jesus Christ BOB, is ther ANYTHING bad in the DR that isn't the "Haitians Fault"???????
You sure you ain't a Dominicano?????
You got the "No Es Mi Culpa" excuse down pat!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Took the words out of my mouth CC, or should I say fingers.....

Crap need to go my dog pulled a towel off the washing line. Malditos haitianos!!!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
You and Bob are the total opposites of each other! You hardly if ever say anything nice about the DR and Bob, if ever, says anything bad about the DR.:)

This just shows what the DR really means to the both of you.Each of you see the DR differently and there's nothing wrong with that. The both of you are giving your view points.

Viewers need to understand that Haitians and Dominicans(not just Dominicans) feel the same way about each other.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jesus Christ BOB, is ther ANYTHING bad in the DR that isn't the "Haitians Fault"???????

Wash your mouth out with my d..... What are you accusing me of now? Are you telling me there aren't lots of Haitian babies born in Dominican hospitals whose mothers are mainly young and unhealthy. I think I 'm the realist here, you are the sensationalist.
Go to the Pirates Refuge Hotel in the Colonial District. If they are still there you'll see two of the most beautiful women in the world, both Haitians.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Can you point out blame, all most of us mature and unargumentative reasonable souls might see are facts. Far be it from me to claim that you prefer an argument or an insult rather than a discussion, but in this case (I won't point out previous, in which case I would) it might seem that way to some. Other than being a complimentary moderator if you see untruths in Bobs posting on this thread then I suggest your retirement is not only from a professional perspective a real possibility, but pure ignorance (in the most respectful manner possible) of the Dominican Republic also. No, I do not care that you have been here a million years, I do not care that you have a million friends here, what I do find under such threads are facts, now please point out the mistruths at hand so we can progress rather make play day of relevant threads of interest.
I thank you for tending to my request before an onslaught of abuse, obviously of which I expect.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Bob,
While there are many Haitians giving birth in the DR with complications, I do not believe that their numbers justify the maternal mortality rate here. The main causes of maternal mortality in DR are hypertension, hemorrhage, sepsis (infection) and abortions/miscarriages. There was a study done last year called “Situation Analysis of Children and Adolescents in the Dominican Republic”, that concluded that 80% of the maternal deaths in the DR were PREVENTABLE. Therefore it wouldn't matter if the mother was Haitian or Dominican, they were PREVENTABLE deaths.

I have played around with the notion, of once I graduate, to carry on a 5 year long study of maternal mortality in DR, but SEPARATING the Dominican mothers from the Haitian mothers. I am interested in knowing how different the rate would be excluding Haitian mothers, but I do not believe it would be a big difference, just in my experience.

In 2012, the DR had 175 (registered) maternal deaths...that is to say a mom died every OTHER day, somewhere in DR from complications of childbirth. This is an absurd number due to the fact that we know that 98% of these women get adequate prenatal care and 99% deliver in a hospital/clinica.

My take on maternal death here is that its time for them to stop having meetings, and conferences, and start DOING something. I'm still at point A with the Ministerio de Salud as I was 2 years ago. And it doesn't hlp that you have to start all over with new people every time a new President comes. Do you know how it feels to get "this close" to getting something actually done and the next time you call, there's a new Director....then you have to start all over again because they don't care how far you got with the other one, there's a new Sheriff in town.

Anyway,
Sorry DV8, I know this is about neonatal mortality. I don't know too much about that as my focus has been on the moms. But of course, they go hand in hand.

SHALENA