American Milk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've had a couple of threads about the milk in DR .... which I actually don't mind. It does have the flavor [to me] of canned evaporated milk.

This week when I was shopping at La Sirena, they had a display of milk on sale, I was leery but I tried one. It's "First Class" brand [their store brand] and we had it with cereal this morning. It tastes just like US milk! I checked the packaging, and it's "Made in the USA for Ramos".

So for all of you pining for a glass of American milk, give it a try.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have tried several brands of leche entera from different supermarkets and all of them taste just like USA milk. You may have to hunt to find leche entera in the market as I have seen it mixed in with yogurt, next to OJ, bottom shelf with the aqua coco, etc.

Now if only I could find some Wonder bread...........

For the most part if I go to the larger supermarkets I can pretty much find everything I need. So far my favorite market is La Nacional on 27 esquina Lincoln in SD.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have tried several brands of leche entera from different supermarkets and all of them taste just like USA milk. You may have to hunt to find leche entera in the market as I have seen it mixed in with yogurt, next to OJ, bottom shelf with the aqua coco, etc.

Now if only I could find some Wonder bread...........

For the most part if I go to the larger supermarkets I can pretty much find everything I need. So far my favorite market is La Nacional on 27 esquina Lincoln in SD.

Hi bigbird, I'm talking about the boxed milk. I've had some bad luck with the refrigerated milk - expensive and sometimes already spoiled.

We used to shop at that Nacional, but switched to La Sirena in San Cristobal once my suegra died. [We used to make a trip to SD, visit her and shop too]. If I were going to SD today, I think it would be to Jumbo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi bigbird, I'm talking about the boxed milk. I've had some bad luck with the refrigerated milk - expensive and sometimes already spoiled.

We used to shop at that Nacional, but switched to La Sirena in San Cristobal once my suegra died. [We used to make a trip to SD, visit her and shop too]. If I were going to SD today, I think it would be to Jumbo.

Sorry, didn't know you were talking about boxed milk. In that case I will surely give it a try. What Jumbo in SD would you go to? I tried Jumbo at Agora but it doesn't come anywhere close to what La Nacional has to offer.

Yes on the leche entera, you have to check the expiration date.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i googled wonder bread. looks like something i'd only feed to my dogs. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry, didn't know you were talking about boxed milk. In that case I will surely give it a try. What Jumbo in SD would you go to? I tried Jumbo at Agora but it doesn't come anywhere close to what La Nacional has to offer.

My husband isn't here [if I don't actually drive, I don't watch street names], but I think it's on Luperon. It's a MASSIVE store, with everything under the sun.

I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My husband isn't here [if I don't actually drive, I don't watch street names], but I think it's on Luperon. It's a MASSIVE store, with everything under the sun.

I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, I think I know the one you are talking about. On the upper level they have a play, amusement area for kids? This Jumbo is in SD but not really located in D.N.

Aug 21, 2007
I don't think Wonder Bread is really good for you. People in the US haven't seen it on the shelves for some time, as the company was owned by Hostess, who went bankrupt. Recently, the Wonder Bread part of the company was purchased and production will restart soon, if it has not already. (Not to judge, but one is better off to eat a whole grain bread….)

Wonder Bread headed back to shelves - Feb. 27, 2013

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK, I think I know the one you are talking about. On the upper level they have a play, amusement area for kids? This Jumbo is in SD but not really located in D.N.

Yes, that's the one. It's huge and has everything you can imagine.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

You will never find the quality and quantity of imported items in any Jumbo compared to El Nacional no matter how big any El Jumbo may be.I've been to both and El Nacional has way more imported goods than El Jumbo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed SpiceGirl.... and the STI Nacional... the new one.... is exceptional.

Remember, I saw and bought 'Baby Back Ribs' there -- it was marked and marketed as such....
thereby creating a new Spanish lexicon

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bronzy",...both "Super Mercados National",...AND "Jumbo" are owned and operated by the same SPANISH Company.
I shop BOTH, All The Time, like almost EVERYDAY!
The "Jumbo" on Luperon has even MORE imported foods than the big Super Mercado National in Arroyo Hondo near my house.
If anyone is driving into SD, or Santiago, to shop either place, If It's Jumbo, come on Tuesday, if it's National, come on Wednesday, that's their discount "Fruits & Veggies" day,20 to 50 % off on MANY items!
I just got home from "National"!!!!!!!
"Pola/La Sirena", Again they are the same company, also have "F & V" sales today.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC