wedding in dr /paper work done from dr

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
hello, question from canadian traveling to dominican rep for wedding ,
vacation is several months and wedding date is not set,
i have read that i would have to /from cananda go to dominican consulate for paper work translate to spanish etc. and the papers once valid are good for 3 months..

question starts here ... can all of this be done while inside the dominican rep, because i do not know the date of wedding and could be more then 3 months after my arrivale and if paper work is already done before going.. it would then not be valid anymore.

have anyone (canadian marrying dominican) ever done all the paper work from inside.

what should i bring with me on the trip birth certificate ids . anything from canadas government?

thank alot for the help in advance...

please no comments on are u sure you want to marry a dominican etc... i dont need advice on that one :)

deezee

Jan 4, 2014
Yes you are correct on the 90 days. Ours had run out also you have to go back and you pay the fees and we paid a man to do the leg work to Santo Domingo to refile (5000.00 pesos) I would check with both governments to see if any thing has been changed lately to file.I would bring an original copy of birth certificate (an apostled copy) Notarized not good enough. Passport any divorce papers also will be needed (apostle also) to prove you are divorced. Check with the DR government but the answer is yes you can do it all here. We got married in a civil wedding first. No need to wait easily done while you are here if you bring everything. Then we did a church wedding.

Nothing at all wrong with marrying a Dominican Woman. I have never regretted it and never will.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
I'm American but probably the same. Just went thru the process. Use a lawyer. You need your birth certificate and translate into English. A certificate of divorce. Then certificate notorised saying the certificate of divorce is ok. Then a certificate saying you are single. copy of passport. All translated to English. Total cost for lawyer was 6500 rd. Then 10,000 rd for judge perform ceremony at office of registrar.
This is only for foreigner , much easier for the Dominican novia.
This is current price on north coast for me.
Getting married tomorrow.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
hello, question from canadian traveling to dominican rep for wedding ,
vacation is several months and wedding date is not set,
i have read that i would have to /from cananda go to dominican consulate for paper work translate to spanish etc. and the papers once valid are good for 3 months..

question starts here ... can all of this be done while inside the dominican rep, because i do not know the date of wedding and could be more then 3 months after my arrivale and if paper work is already done before going.. it would then not be valid anymore.

have anyone (canadian marrying dominican) ever done all the paper work from inside.

what should i bring with me on the trip birth certificate ids . anything from canadas government?

thank alot for the help in advance...

please no comments on are u sure you want to marry a dominican etc... i dont need advice on that one :)

Go to a Dominican Consulate in Canada. You might be able to complete the paper work there or at the very least they will tell you step by step what to do once you are in the DR. Good luck.

LTSteve

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Just call the DR embassy. Probably get all the info on their website as well. But they will help you over the phone for clarification. I think is pent 150 usd in texas for all my paper to be translated and notarized. But you do know the birth certificate and divorce certificate have to be apostilled. That is done by your government. In my case the state of florida.

Apr 13, 2011
I recommend that you get all the paperwork you need done (copies, translations, apostille, etc) before you go to the DR - while you are in Canada. I know that you are concerned that the paperwork may be out of date before the wedding date - but while you are here in the DR with all the paperwork, you can use it to submit everything - and then maybe you can make an arrangement on the date of the civil service marriage with the person who would be conducting the service. If necessary, you can have the actual marriage done early (the official "I does" and signing the paperwork) - and wait to have the ceremony/party with relatives later when you are ready to have the party.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I recommend that you get all the paperwork you need done (copies, translations, apostille, etc) before you go to the DR - while you are in Canada. I know that you are concerned that the paperwork may be out of date before the wedding date - but while you are here in the DR with all the paperwork, you can use it to submit everything - and then maybe you can make an arrangement on the date of the civil service marriage with the person who would be conducting the service. If necessary, you can have the actual marriage done early (the official "I does" and signing the paperwork) - and wait to have the ceremony/party with relatives later when you are ready to have the party.

Good idea. I had not thought of that one. Quick wedding in an office and the real thing later on. Thankssss