Grass fed butter. Seriously?

May 29, 2006
Saw this on another DR board. Just wondering, if you can't live without grass fed butter, maybe you're not quite ready for the DR?

I've never heard of the stuff. Is it somehow worth the $10/pound I imagine it sells for? I know European butter can be cultured somehow, but to me butter is butter. They say Lurpak is what to get in the DR(though not grass fed). Am I missing something???

Is there any place between Cabarete and Santiago that sells grassfed butter? I'm used to Kerrysgold in the states, but they don't carry it here

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
President butter is imported from France. I understand that the milk fat content is higher than the regular grocery store butter sold in the USA and Canada. It's available all over the north coast (and probably other places but have only bought it here). I always thought that cows only ate grass,----till I got here and found out they would kill to get at my hibiscus bushes!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm a picky son-of-a-bitch so it's only President butter for me. The local stuff is pretty awful in my opinion. The flavor is funky and the texture as well. When chilled it's brittle. Very odd if you ask me.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Kerrygold from Ireland is the standard to judge a butter. The cows in Ireland have a much richer grass heavy diet than anywhere else in the world. Used to be available here when the EEC had butter mountains but alas no more. I bring it back with me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I grew up eating butter made by my mother from raw milk from cows that ate mainly grass and hay. Nothing better on fresh Johnny Cake and baked beans.

May 29, 2006
I have a great idea for a new "everything bagel", Colorado style.

One of the chefs I used to work for was very fond of that. He'd simmer an ounce of cheap weed on the stove in some water with a pound of butter for an hour or so, strain it, then chill it in the fridge to skim the butter off. He'd make cookies sometime or spread some on an English Muffin. Now that was some grass fed butter..

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
One of the chefs I used to work for was very fond of that. He'd simmer an ounce of cheap weed on the stove in some water with a pound of butter for an hour or so, strain it, then chill it in the fridge to skim the butter off. He'd make cookies sometime or spread some on an English Muffin. Now that was some grass fed butter..

Ah Ha!
That sort of grass.
Now I get it......

"Hey man this butter's off!"

"No Dude, Just a bit high".........

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I usually by Lurpak now also, but this only started after being forced (yes, forced, because I hated it) to take my "Holistic Health" class in Midwifery school. Once you know how margarine and american butter is made, and what it's made from... you will never go back to it again.

Bertania thought I was crazy as the Lurpak is 3x the price of the big tub of crap that I used to have her buy, but she can't deny the taste. UmmmmmmmUmmmmmmm.

SHALENA

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I usually by Lurpak now also, but this only started after being forced (yes, forced, because I hated it) to take my "Holistic Health" class in Midwifery school. Once you know how margarine and american butter is made, and what it's made from... you will never go back to it again.

Bertania thought I was crazy as the Lurpak is 3x the price of the big tub of crap that I used to have her buy, but she can't deny the taste. UmmmmmmmUmmmmmmm.

SHALENA

I haven't eaten margarine in decades... that crap is abhorrent.

anarquista

Dec 15, 2004
Kerrygold is worth it, especially when the other options available taste like straight up vegetable oil. Plus I feel like I'm supporting happy Irish cows.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Kerry gold rocks. if you can ever find the herbed version of it, it is worth the added price.

Kerrygold from Ireland is the standard to judge a butter. The cows in Ireland have a much richer grass heavy diet than anywhere else in the world. Used to be available here when the EEC had butter mountains but alas no more. I bring it back with me.

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
"Once you know how margarine and American butter is made, and what it's made from... you will never go back to it again." - Shalena

Shalena, I could believe anything about margarine, but with respect to American butter, I give: how is it made that is so revolting? By the way, I thought I ate French butter, but on googling just now, I find that Plugra is made by an American company.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I haven't eaten margarine in decades... that crap is abhorrent.

Can't stand butter.

Love Flora. Spreads from the fridge.Has no taste to like or dislike , Waterproofs toast adequately, Needs no refrigeration.Doesn't smoke when you forget it on the stove, Has all sorts of added whatnots and does not contain other whatnots ( so it says), keeps for thousands of years and a useful little box when it's finished....

And cheap.