Temporary Worker Visa is active now!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Temporary Worker Visa is enforced by Chancery - See more at:

http://www.mirex.gov.do/index.php?o...de-trabajador-temporero&catid=51:mas-noticias

The Foreign Ministry said this Friday was carried out the enactment of the Temporary Worker Visa , which may be issued to aliens who have a job offer from a company duly registered in the Dominican Republic.

The enactment of this new category of visa fulfills the mandate of the resolution of the National Immigration Council released today , which has priority actions for incorporating seasonal workers to the National Plan for the Regularization of Foreigners in irregular immigration status .

Says a statement from the Foreign Ministry, the measure was adopted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through Resolution No. 1/ 14, which provides that the Temporary Worker Visa , whose symbol is VTT, have a maximum term of up to year, with one or multiple entries , depending on the length of contract.

In making the announcement , Deputy Minister and Acting Foreign Minister , Jos? Manuel Trullols said the Migration Act provides in Article 13 that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs grant foreigners visas to enter the country , according to the laws on the subject.

The resolution of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs states that for the bestowal of the VTT , the foreign must lodge his application with the Embassy or Consulate of the Republic abroad or in the same Ministry , through its Consular Department and must meet the requirements of place .

Trullols said the Foreign Ministry has notified the resolution for knowledge and execution , to diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic abroad , as well as all national institutions associated with the topic .

" This new category is of fundamental importance . As soon issued Resolution No.1/14 , we proceeded immediately notify all the Dominican foreign service requirements and processing procedures in order to ensure full compliance . This goes in line with the interest of President Danilo Medina of providing the country with a modern , transparent and functional immigration regulation, " he said.

Trullols detailed Regulation of the Migration Act No. 631/11 , Articles 69 and 70 , provides for the Temporary Foreign Worker category and provides for the admission procedure for the same , the requirement of visa seasonal worker .

He argued that the issuance of this resolution is because the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is part of the government institutions responsible for the implementation of the national policy on migration , and in that capacity has been implementing a series of measures designed to regulate the legal framework governing migratory activity in the Dominican Republic .

Among the requirements to be imposed to interested in a VTT, is a letter issued by the original institution, organization , company or individual with which the alien will perform temporary work, stating the commitment to comply with conditions and requirements on labor rights and conditions of the country , reporting on workers , transportation , travel expenses and repatriation.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So this is now requiring the companies who WERE hiring illegal workers. to give them written contracts? with repatriation pay etc? and then they can get visas? I am not quite sure how this is going to work. They still have to go to the consulate in Haiti, ritigh? The DR has never stopped issuing visas in Haiti.

So where is the incentive for the companies to give these contracts or papers? I have not heard of one company that was fined for hiring illegals.

I think this is just a fan fare about what a pretty plan we have... but will not affect anything.

It has always been a well known technique that some contractors have been able to call migration and have the workers deported before payday. Why would they give that up?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OMG, does that really happen???

SHALENA

So it is rumoured.. I never got to talk with anyone.. obviously.. who was actually deported. But I have heard it from more than one source. Certainly have seen that Haitian workers were kept on a construction site.. for the new hotel in Portillo.. with no toilet facitilites, sleeping on the ground, no food supplied.. for 24 days before payday. The local Domnicans protested because the Haitians were being paid less = the Dominicans wanted 600 pesos a day. The folks that catered the food made a lot of money.. Management said (I rode to the capital with one of the engineers on the bus once) that the Haitians were not paid before the time because they did not want them to leave.

So really... this was one of the big hotels.. not a small builder. They could have easily paid for Dominicans.

Everyone says that it is that the Haitians are doing work that the Dominicans will not do.. but it is that the Dominicans will not do it for that money in those conditions. They will not do construction work for 300 pesos a day. They will not spray agricultural insectiside without masks. Only the very poorest will cut cane.

So while this law may be a very good looking law on the books... I do not see any of the Dominican companies bothering to comply with it. Since there have never been any fines for any Dominican company employing illegals.. that I know of.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think this law comes to officially patch some legal holes. When I got my temporary residence in 2001, the ever changing regulations required a signed and stamped work contract stating that I was in a job position they could not fill locally (which I presume was not true). However, the work law prohibited hiring non-residents, effectively forcing the companies to cheat one way or another. As it usually happens, I guess that was the decade when more foreigners came to work in DR ever.