Code for FREE money transfer on Xoom

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Just figured I'd post this in case anyone here uses Xoom.com for money transfers...

Use this code in the "Apply Coupon" section: XOOMNEWYEAR

That code is supposed to work for all of January. I just used it myself so confirmed it works.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Even though there are only a few days left in February, the code for free money transfer is: FEBFREEZE

Apr 13, 2011
Has anybody else used these free codes on zoom. Not trying to doubt you PeteyPablo - just sounds too good... so asking...
And - since I have not done xoom yet, but have used other types of transfers - are there any issues or delays (anybody have any problems) that I should know about?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Has anybody else used these free codes on zoom. Not trying to doubt you PeteyPablo - just sounds too good... so asking...
And - since I have not done xoom yet, but have used other types of transfers - are there any issues or delays (anybody have any problems) that I should know about?

I have just started using xoom and the first transaction took 4 days because of a "verification" process, the customer service person told me that that was only for the first time and then the next times it would be same day.
I didn't believe her, so Sunday at around 11:30pm, while I'm here in DR, I did another transaction to see when it would arrive and Bertania came to my bedroom at 12:09am and told me she got a text message that the money was ready for pick up.
And Derfish must have special privileges because my money came out of my account both times BEFORE it was picked up in DR.

SHALENA

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have just started using xoom and the first transaction took 4 days because of a "verification" process, the customer service person told me that that was only for the first time and then the next times it would be same day.
I didn't believe her, so Sunday at around 11:30pm, while I'm here in DR, I did another transaction to see when it would arrive and Bertania came to my bedroom at 12:09am and told me she got a text message that the money was ready for pick up.
And Derfish must have special privileges because my money came out of my account both times BEFORE it was picked up in DR.

SHALENA

Shalena, Derfish is correct but I think it depends how you fund the transfer. If you use credit/debit card they may pull funds right away. In my experience if you fund from a bank account it allows for the 'kiting' as Derfish mentioned because it posts the day after it is picked up. How they don't get OWNED by a trickster transferring non existing funds is beyond my comprehension.

I was subjected to that "verification" process at some point as well. It delays the transfer about a day....and there is an EASY fix for it. Just call the customer service number and they will verify your info over the phone....transfer will then proceed as normal.

And yes, I will post the codes here.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

MJ (Michael Jackson? lol I couldn't resist)... a bit of skepticism is always healthy. You can verify it yourself before the transfer is completed by clicking on the "Coupon Code" field and entering the code. It will then show no fee for the transfer.

They offer two types of transfers: to a pickup location (Vimenca, Banco BHD, Caribe Express) or to a bank account at any of the banks on the island. As far as any issues/delays...on rare occasions there have been some. The verification as mentioned earlier is one (doesn't matter which method you use). Transfers to pickup are generally pretty fast, about an hour. Transfers to banks, can be tricky because there is a time cutoff for deposit the same day...if you don't make it then funds are not deposited until the next day. Be mindful of that on a Friday afternoon transfer...it may get there on Saturday -just- as the banks are closing. Grrrrrrrrrrr

That has been about the extent of the issues. I have unrelated banking issues between Banreservas and Banco Popular and the time it takes them for inter-bank transfers. Double Grrrrrrrrrr

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
Xoom is great, the promo/coupon codes work. I send all the time and no lie, within 5-10 minutes of sending I get an email/text saying it's ready for pickup. That's only the cash pickup option. The home delivery gets delivered 30 minutes-1 HR, it depends on the delivery guy. Using your bank account is cheaper 4.99 vs 6.99 using a debit card.

Aug 6, 2006
Xoom works for me in under an hour, using a bank withdrawal and Caribe Express for the pickup. They charge $4.99 and of course, their exchange rate is around $41.55 RD to the dollar and not 43.

Apr 13, 2011
Great info. I will add xoom as one of my options to send money. And - please do share the codes. And yes, then I can explore the referral option with Derfish...

I'd been using Xoom for a while - over 2 years and I had also to get verify the first time. Sometimes they take longer, and a ffew times I'd been surprised with their speedy service. Recently I sent cash and requested to be delivered in dollars, they call the recipient asking them if they instead wanted pesos and made their case to insist. Obviously the recipient was expecting the cash in dollars and did not accept, but I found this odd. Otherwise, I had an acceptable experience with Xoom. Codes?:knockedou

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Got a code for free transaction for April? I am not going to be here and have to send money to pay the watchyman. Bad planning on my part. Also, if you use a credit card to fund with Xoom, they charge more than the $4.99 cited here. I am not ok with giving them my bank account number or debit card number! If anyone unauthorized gets those they can drain your account. Safer with credit card, but does cost more. Cheers.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
That sounds like a great idea, since I am sure I paid much more than $3 to send. If I remember right, it depends somewhat on how much you send. I have not done it in a while, but I paid more like $15-20 more than the advertised $4.99. Again, that is using the credit card. The Walmart route sounds like the better way to go. Thanks! (Also, just for info, delivery took about 5 hours, they text the person you send the money to if you want.)