My dog might have eat rat poison - help

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Its not 100% sure, but he might have ate one of the blue blocks of poison rat that was around our house.

I had him attach to a leach for last 5 days since we put some around the house but i completely forgot him for 5 minutes and one of the blue block disapear, it just happen 1 hr ago so all the vets are close. I stopped at a pet care center near my house and they told me to mix carbon / leche / 1 yellow egg and give it to him - wich i did.

Anyone have experience with this, is there anything i can do to be sure my dog is ok? I will bring him to the vet tomorrow if its open but any tips would be helpful

Thanks

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
No he looks super normal. Super happy an active as usual...but i heard those poison takes 1-3 days before killing a rat so i wonder if my dog would be feeling bad after that short of a time..

God i hope its just a rat that bringed it in the pipe and it was a coincidence !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
give your dog milk, as much as he can drink. check the ingredients of the rat poison used to make sure what it contains and then visit a pharmacy and get some vitamin K in injection, this is an antidote for the most common compound in rat poison. the injection is very cheap, below 100 pesos for sure. i would visit a vet tomorrow, if possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please learn from this horrible experience!!!!
Get some cats, the rats won't come in your house if you have cats!
Even if the dogs and cats don't get along at first, they WILL work out a "Mutual Respect" relationship.
Sadly, your dog may get sick, or Worse, but remember, Children put Everything in their mouth, and eat a lot of it, it could be WORSE!
GET CATS!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Our cat get anything that moves, and anything that doesn't she bat to see if it'll move. Rats, mice, spiders, cucas...etc.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I tried glue traps, mechanical traps, rat poison.

Got two cats (Leonel and Danilo) from dv8, and I couldn't be happier. Sadly, Danilo ran away from home, but Leonel is still on the job.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
All pet owners, please be sure to have Activated Charcoal on hand at all times,any pharmacy should carry it..add to their food, or give direct, it absorbs all poisons...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Puryear" you need to get a female cat!!!
She won't be gone all the time looking for,.....Well,...."PUSSY"!
Unless she is "Gay" that is!
My big "TOM" has been gone for the last 3 days.
Hope he gets "SOME" and returns, but life can be VERY SHORT for a house cat on the streets here!
I'm sure our female can find a "True Love" to replace her "Kitty Daddy" next, "Season"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Wishing You well",...."IT Absorbs "ALL POISONS"!!!!!!
If ONLY that were true.
With "Rat Poison",,..like "Warfrin" they animals bleed to death over time.
Once it's "IN", it's "IN"!
Best bet is to get you animal, as with a child/adult, to medical emergency care ASAP!
There are some "Emergency Kits" available, but that's just to give, "On The Way" to emergency care!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Got two cats (Leonel and Danilo) from dv8, and I couldn't be happier. Sadly, Danilo ran away from home, but Leonel is still on the job.

cat life imitated political life here so much... leonel and danilo are brothers and were best pals until they grew balls. then danilo left the premises :) leonel was always lazy and liked nothing better than to have his butt licked by ma and to be petted. danilo always preferred to bite owners in the ass and then run away.

anyways, nothing better than cats to solve pest issues!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not So!!!
The ones that make them "Bleed to Death", which is most of them, take time.
The rats that eat the poison, go home and die, they are eaten by their "Kin Folk" and then they die TOO!!!
I have watched my dogs look weird for several days, then start to bleed from every bodily opening.
When you are talking about poisoned dogs, a lot depends on the size of the dog, and the amount of the poison..
The fast acting poisons affect the nervous system, that can be almost instantly.
CCCCCCCCCCCC

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Depends as Chris stated...reason why most go for water, there is always time when using activated charcoal, works very fast

If I'm not mistaken, all rat poisons are extremely fast acting. I had two that were poisoned by somebody from a passing car, and even though I made it home in a matter of minutes, it was too late.