need help negotiating solar purchase

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I have a lot of solares I'm looking at in my neighborhood and want some tips on negotiating. Let's say for example there is a 500 meter lot and the seller is asking 2.5 mil (5000 per meter). Am I completely off base by offering 4000 per meter? I almost feel like they will be offended by my offer and don't even bother.

Has anyone had experience negotiating with sellers and have any advice to offer?

I have also noticed the pricing on some of the solares in the same area can be double which is ridiculous. I think my attorney can check recent sales at impuestos internos but not sure if she can check by sector.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Recent sales may not tell the whole story, people under report prices to save in taxes. 80% of the asking price is too high a starting price.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want it done right, I think I can get you an appraiser from the Banco Popular ....he can consult with you on the area and prices. Since he has no finger in the pie...you get the right info.

HB

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Any real estate agent can give you the correct price per m2 of a sector.

I think it was Donald Trump who said: If I'm not ashamed of an offer I make, I'm bidding too high.

Another thing: if you have the money (no loan needed or payment in installments you can easily start way lower. Otten people here make offers and later think about how to pay it. If you say, i offer 3000/m3 and pay you 1,500,000 tomorrow, don't be surprised if he takes it. If he asks 2,500,000 he probably hopes for 2,000,000 and will take less than that.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Expats tend to go the expat route which is very expensive and will get you no stronger sale.
Negotiating takes a while, offer very very low, half, play the game as a Dominican would, walk away a few times leaving a week or two inbetween each visit. Infuse them with your charm rather than offers of higher prices. It depends where you are buying but in my experience of buying 7 lots I have never accomplished my goal in less than months of interest, buying a meal, few beers and an invitation to a family beach party BBQ.
Expats pay way over ends when they do it the expat way, take your time, irritate or make them love you into selling like any self respecting dominican would.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good advice from Mauricio and HUG....

And the offer to get an appraiser still stands.

HB

May 29, 2006
It never hurts to offer and it's not like everyone sells for asking price..

Winston Churchill is drunk and meets a pretty young woman. After chatting for a while, he asks, "Hypothetically, if I were to offer you a million pounds, would you spend the night with me?" The woman, a bit shocked gains her composure, thinks for a moment and say, "Well, hypothetically, I suppose I would.." Then Churchill asks, "Would you do the same for five pounds?" Insulted, the woman says "What kind of person do you think I am?"

"That my dear, has been established. We are now in the process of negotiating"

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I have a lot of solares I'm looking at in my neighborhood and want some tips on negotiating. Let's say for example there is a 500 meter lot and the seller is asking 2.5 mil (5000 per meter). Am I completely off base by offering 4000 per meter? I almost feel like they will be offended by my offer and don't even bother.

Has anyone had experience negotiating with sellers and have any advice to offer?

I have also noticed the pricing on some of the solares in the same area can be double which is ridiculous. I think my attorney can check recent sales at impuestos internos but not sure if she can check by sector.

Sayonara,

Start low, if you have cash in hand make sure you make that clear with your offer. If you have it in dollars even better. Also, do you have a trusted, Dominican, friend that can negotiate for you? I don't know what you look like but once a Dominican sees a "gringo" all they think about is screwing him over. Get someone to represent you while the negotiating. Maybe a trusted lawyer. Also, don't be afraid to walk away, remember there are lots of "solares" here in Santiago in "good" areas. Dominicans are hard-headed people and they are always thinking of screwing the other person over cause they feel as if that person is trying to screw them over. (Classic game theory at work).

Also, do as the others have stated in this thread, consult bank, or realtor about "real" prices. Dominicans always ask for 2x the amount, no matter what they are selling.

BTW- I am born Dominican so it's ok for me to say these things about Dominicans. ;)