Supermarket Peso Fiddle

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
I've entered this in North Coast as this is where my experience of the title is from.

I understand that the peso is divided into 100 centavos? Has anyone ever seen one?

Consequently fractions of a peso are rounded up or down either side of 0.5 of a peso.

For sometime now, shopping at La Sirena and Tropical in Puerto Plata, when the round up is on the side of the shopper any change given is always a peso short despite the till receipts at both establishments printing out the change to be given by the cashier.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to correct the cashier, then had to wait for the supervisor to come and open the till again.

Tacano you may say, but I say no, it is the principal.

How many customers, how many days, weeks and months of this towards the companies profits?

Are the cashiers under instructions to always 'save a peso'?

Check you change friends.

FB.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I've entered this in North Coast as this is where my experience of the title is from.

I understand that the peso is divided into 100 centavos? Has anyone ever seen one?

Consequently fractions of a peso are rounded up or down either side of 0.5 of a peso.

For sometime now, shopping at La Sirena and Tropical in Puerto Plata, when the round up is on the side of the shopper any change given is always a peso short despite the till receipts at both establishments printing out the change to be given by the cashier.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to correct the cashier, then had to wait for the supervisor to come and open the till again.

Tacano you may say, but I say no, it is the principal.

How many customers, how many days, weeks and months of this towards the companies profits?

Are the cashiers under instructions to always 'save a peso'?

Check you change friends.

FB.

Really?
A centavo is worth .0002352941 of a dollar!
Ask for a 1/8th of a chiclet.
This is really not even worth the bandwidth, steal a limon to break even for two years!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Everyone has their own weird things that annoy them I guess, I could not sit there waiting for a peso if my life depended on it! If you were ahead of me I would just give it to you!
He is talking Cents, not Pesos...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Land of Millionaires

From the times when smaller coins (down to 5 centavos) were still legal tender (as theoretically they are still today) I have a collection of those.
Whenever I offer them to the cashier they are refused.

I don't blame the cashier girls as nobody (probably not even the banks) wants that small change.

The explanation is easy:
I obviously live in a country of millionaires... :bunny:

donP

May 29, 2006
Like CC said, Chiclets have been the currency for fractional pesos for years. I remember the centavos from way back. A medio peso coin could get you a small soda and was worth about 25 cents back then.

I have couple kopeeks saved from when I was in Estonia. 1/100th of a ruble isn't much any more.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Like CC said, Chiclets have been the currency for fractional pesos for years. I remember the centavos from way back. A medio peso coin could get you a small soda and was worth about 25 cents back then.

I have couple kopeeks saved from when I was in Estonia. 1/100th of a ruble isn't much any more.

You are lucky to find a cup of NYC street coffee for a buck these days.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Now it is even pesos

...Chiclets have been the currency for fractional pesos for years.

Nowadays many stores try to give you sweets instead of pesos, claiming that they do not have any (but quite often they in fact do...).

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't understand this s**t either. why have money that does not exist? centavos are gone. stop with the idiotic concept and just use round pesos. but banks, bushiness and the government make money on this, i presume.

and remember: 0.01 to 0.49 is rounded down; 0.50 to 0.99 is rounded up. don't f**king fret over this.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Not excusing them but I sorta understand the cashier's side of this as if there's any money missing at the end of the day, they have to pay it out of pocket (no matter if it was due to a mistake or from giving out change "correctly"). Might not be much for you and me but when you're making minimum salary, every chele is worth something.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Go to Bravo, the cents are there rounded in favor of the client. 3.99 = 3 pesos

Last edited:

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
On the other side, KateP, imagine the supermarket taking 20 cents from you, 9 cents from the next person in line and so on. How much would they make in a single supermarket in a day? Remember they pay taxes on what's on the receipts.

This cent and peso thing only favours the owners, but I understand the cashier shouldn't have to pay for it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but then, on the other hand, there is plenty of round downs as well so at the end of the day it may even out...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is amazing to me that there is a thread about this. It is amazing to me that I have responded to a thread about this.