flying to the DR with a dog onboard?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Hi,

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of the latest DR entry requirements when we bring our dog this next trip to the DR?

* What documentation should we bring?
* Any vaccine requirements?
* Does the paperwork we bring from our vet have to be translated in Spanish?:beard:

Thanks so much!

Activ_POP

Oct 8, 2009
Officially - "The animals must be accompanied by a health certificate issued and signed by a licensed
veterinarian and endorsed by USDA"

http://www.cnmsf.gob.do/Portals/0/d...rios para Mascotas/DR DOGS & CATS 8 11 04.pdf

Unofficially - We travel 2-3 times per year with our dogs and don't bother with the USDA endorsement. We do have everything well documented, this includes the APHIS form 7001 completed by us and signed by our vet within 7 days of the flight AND the animal's original rabies vaccination certificate that details the name, serial number, duration, etc of the vaccine as given.

We also make sure that the dogs have been treated for external parasites (with Fipronil) and internal ones (with Praziquantel) and that the names and dates of treatment for those products are on the 7001 form and within 30 days of the flight.

Our preference is to complete the form ourselves, the vets often make mistakes, misspell names or omit important information. Translation is not necessary but we edited the PDF to add spanish translations of the title headings and answers to items 7 and 8 on the form.

We use common sense and make sure that our animals are clean, presentable, and well rested. Bring extra copies of your forms so that the airline folks don't have to go and make them.

Never had a problem entering with our dogs in either STI, POP or AZS. Entry fee is $10 per dog.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Hi,

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of the latest DR entry requirements when we bring our dog this next trip to the DR?

* Does the paperwork we bring from our vet have to be translated in Spanish?:beard:

Thanks so much!

Hello,

Just brought my dog from Denver last month, on American Airlines. It was a piece of cake...
I have a big dog, so she was checked in her crate. Are you checking, or carry on. The paperwork is the same, but there are some rules on the kennel size.

For entry into the DR you will need:

A rabies vaccine certificate issued MORE THAN 30 days prior to arrival
A health certificate issued LESS THAN 15 prior to arrival. (The airline required 10 days, so check with them), give your vet some time to do the cert because they have to send it to the USDA for a stamp

When I arrived in STI, they brought my dog out into the baggage claim area. I stood there for about 5 min before the animal control person came and found me. She brought me into her office, looked at my paperwork for a 30 seconds, took my $10, wrote some info on another piece of paper and handed it to me. I walked out of the airport through customs without a problem. They of course did not even look at the document.

Getting into the DR was easy, the hard part was actually dealing with all the rules for the airline. Call the airline if you are not used to flying with a dog. Also be aware of the temperature restrictions.

Let me know if you need any more info...

And, no, the paperwork does not need to be translated into Spanish

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

Thanks so much!

Firstly nothing has to be translated to Spanish. Take your dog to your local vet and have the vet fill out the paper work. Also make a photo copy of the page in case the airline wants a copy. I have had some airlines request it and others not even looking at the dog. If you can get an extended foot room seat (offered by Jet Blue) I would. They insist the the soft side carrier is push under the seat in front. It really doesn't go under very well. When you get through customs and immigration in the DR someone will see you bringing in the dog carrier and flag you down. You will go over to his or her desk and he will verify your paper work and give you a DR document and you will pay him around $10usd and you are good to go. Hold onto that document. You will need it when you leave. If you are flying into SDQ upon leaving you need to go to the "Pet Office" before you check in for departure. This office is located at the airport but in a separate type store front to the left of the main entrance. Check the dog in there first. Show the paper work, pay the money and then check in. It is a relatively easy procedure. My dog loved walking the beach. Enjoy your stay.

LTSTeve