urgent , looking for a cheap second hand car to get me from a to b !! punta cana

Martanathan

Jan 8, 2014
Hello everyone ;-) I am looking for a cheap car to buy within next 3 weeks, not fussed about the brand just a car to take me to work and to drop the kid to school . I have checked the traders on line and they seem to be very expensive , comparing to the prices of used cars on London ( peanuts !;-))) Anyone has one perhaps or know any places in PC where i can get one . many thanks , warm regards nathan

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You will not get anything like you will get in London for the money. Maybe double your money for the same expectations. What is your budget, what is cheap to you might be expensive to me.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
what's your budget and/or what are you looking for (age, condition). You get better deals on sites like emarket.do than on supercarros.com and in both cases you will only know what you got when you drove it for a month.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Make up your mind do you want a cheap car or do you want a car to take you from a to b......I have found out you can't have both here.......even when you spend too much you get too little

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Like you, I was shocked at car process here when I first came from England. You can buy a little cheaper if you buy privately, but then you have the problem of the title transfer, which is complicated here. Many buy from a dealer just because they will handle the process.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You wont find a cheap car that is reliable.

Make friends with a Dominican, and head to Moca for a day. Or, buy a moto
I bought a 1992 Montero that runs on gas there for about US$3000, and spent another US$1000 fixing it. Cars are expensive.

On a side note, how the hell do Dominicans afford these cars? There are a lot of cars on the roads, nice ones. How can they buy a US$20,000 SUV when they make RD$20000 a month? I don't get it!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Everyone lives in debt (average joe), constant debt their entire lives!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Huh. I live in the campo, only white person for miles, and I have the crappiest oldest car! Baffles me...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Credit is easy to get, interest is incredibly high. In campo there are a lot of handshake contracts if people are unable to secure bank or dealer loans. I've been offered cars on credit without contract on several occasions, no thanks!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Keep in mind Punta Cana/Bavaro has pretty much no good mechanics and zero parts. Would recommend instead spending a bit more and getting a newer car and avoiding problems. I went the cheap old carj option first then finally got rid of it (after spending pretty much the same amount it had cost me) and bought a new Kia Picanto. Small car but economic to drive and cheap in maintenance. There are a couple of dealers in this area you might want to visit, maybe something worthwhile will pop up.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I did ask about getting credit for a moto, my gas bill was killing me. The bike was RD$60,000 and on a payment plan for 18 months came to RD$93,000. I laughed my way out of the dealership...

I see some of the bigger banks have fairly reasonable rates.

Sorry for the thread hijacking.

Martanathan

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you all for the advice it is quite amazing that the cars are so expensive in DR I will be arriving hopefully in about two weeks will have to look around and see what I can find once again thank you all for the advise ;-)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would think having a reliable car will be very important to you in Punta Cana. With the new boulevards, the roads are good. But this is a well spread out place. Thus you should get a vehicle that has good gas mileage. On the other hand, most people do get around on public transportation that is cheap but wont get you door to door. Also you will be practically limited to day time trips.But since you will be with a child, make your life easier and do get the car. It is probable once you are here you can find some one who is leaving and will sell you their new car for a good price.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy a used Toyota Corola.
There must be a million of them here.
The Taxis and Moto Conchos are most Corolas.
Parts are cheap and available, and mechanics are familiar with fixing them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I second Criss on the toyota corolla. IMO, the best car for the 3rd world countries. parts everywhere, mecanics know them inside out, and super easy to sell them. my aunt has a 1990 toyota corolla she has been driving for years, other than a battery and maintenance that thing runs great...my cousin has a 2009 suzuki grand vitara and that thing has been nothing but headaches.
I myself, am looking for a cheap pick up truck...prefer a toyota hilux 4 cylinder, have been looking at the prices and is insane. they will sell the house before they sell their hilux or tacoma... another one I'm looking at is a very tiny Datsun pick up truck with a 1200cc engine..like the daihatsu hijet
if I didn't have to have a pick up... the only choice for me would be a corolla. Get a good mecanic to check it for you. You should be able to get one for under $3000.00 usd or rd$120,000.00 pesos. If you drive stick shift even better.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You wont find a cheap car that is reliable.

Make friends with a Dominican, and head to Moca for a day. Or, buy a moto
I bought a 1992 Montero that runs on gas there for about US$3000, and spent another US$1000 fixing it. Cars are expensive.

On a side note, how the hell do Dominicans afford these cars? There are a lot of cars on the roads, nice ones. How can they buy a US$20,000 SUV when they make RD$20000 a month? I don't get it!

Droga biz on the side.

Enigma23

Jan 6, 2014
Buy a used Toyota Corola.
There must be a million of them here.
The Taxis and Moto Conchos are most Corolas.
Parts are cheap and available, and mechanics are familiar with fixing them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jajajaaja You made me laugh with this one!!! That's precisely how I describe the Carrito Publico to my American Friends and Co-Workers!!! I say remember your friends old busted up 79 Corolla?? Remember sneaking off campus for lunch and how loaded down with people it would be? Yep! That's pretty much what riding in the Carrito Publico is like!

Thanks for the giggle!

Also on a side note my Fiance is selling his 1996 Ford Thunderbird, he's in Gaspar Hernandez area. I don't know how much or the details but it rides well.