google maps to navigate in DR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i am not sure if this has been posted already in some other thread but it so happens, google maps have added a few latin american countries for turn by turn navigation. Fortunately, dominican republic is on the list. I have used it on my sony xperia z with android 4.3 and it worked like a charm. It's still in beta stage but its working good so far. I have only tested direction towards pricesmart in santo domingo and it worked good. I do have 3G plan so I am all set to navigate but I am sure you can download the maps of your city and still be able to use it offline. if you are on latest android OS and you have no offline download function then simply zoom into the area you want to download (example: santo domingo) and then type in search "okay maps" this will trigger the map offline download.
enjoy.
AZB

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Be very careful !!... Used it to find an address and was sent out towards the port of Haina when in fact the business i wanted was located just in front of the clinic Abreu, wasted almost two hours getting back to where i originally wanted to go.

Verify the address you want, call the store, whatever... but DO NOT simply go out there with Google maps.

have fun !

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Does google maps support addresses like "casi esquina X", "al lado de", "casimente en la chulchil", "un chin mas alla de", etc?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Be very careful !!... Used it to find an address and was sent out towards the port of Haina when in fact the business i wanted was located just in front of the clinic Abreu, wasted almost two hours getting back to where i originally wanted to go.

Verify the address you want, call the store, whatever... but DO NOT simply go out there with Google maps.

have fun !
Advise well taken but I usually just don't blindly go where navigation sends me. I usually have a pretty good idea how far and where the place is located. If the navigation is grossly off then I have a general idea that I maybe looking at a wrong location.
here is another app which just came to my attention.
waze app for android. its a great app. It will automatically download dominican republic map and its pubic supported. you need a 3g connection on the phone. The users can update minute by minute road conditions for all the members to see. If there is a traffic jam, accident or even a police check / block, it can be posted on the map.
I will test it today. the map seems very complete. Oh, its a free app. check to see if iphone has the same app as well?
AZB

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
O al frente del donde fue el banco gringo?

Yes, very important.
There is for example "La bomba" de los minas, but there is no bomba there; "La feria" but there is no feria; "canodromo" but there is not one; "carretera mella" without the carretera, "El km 9" but there are several km 9, and so forth. Good luck google!

RollinemOut

Jan 14, 2014
i am not sure if this has been posted already in some other thread but it so happens, google maps have added a few latin american countries for turn by turn navigation. Fortunately, dominican republic is on the list. I have used it on my sony xperia z with android 4.3 and it worked like a charm. It's still in beta stage but its working good so far. I have only tested direction towards pricesmart in santo domingo and it worked good. I do have 3G plan so I am all set to navigate but I am sure you can download the maps of your city and still be able to use it offline. if you are on latest android OS and you have no offline download function then simply zoom into the area you want to download (example: santo domingo) and then type in search "okay maps" this will trigger the map offline download.
enjoy.
AZB

Had a friend who used google maps in DR, I **** you not he told me he got lost for almost four hours. I don't think it's up to date really, but hopefully in the future.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
tested google navigation and it turned out to be very useful. it has all important POIs and addresses can be easily recognized. Google does respect the oneway street configuration so this is why it will take you to the destination in a weird way. I often enter one-way streets as they are not marked well. In simple words, google maps / navigation is the best navigation for DR, even better than paid apps / maps.
AZB

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've used Goggle Maps to find a friend's home in San Cristobal. I lost the signal at one point, but it helped be to get the street.

AZB the app Navitel wasn't bad either. Once gain thanks AZB

Feb 7, 2007
I tested it last October though I knew my way I just tested it for fun on then-new Galaxy s4 .... was funny to hear the street names in Spanglish ...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I've used Goggle Maps to find a friend's home in San Cristobal. I lost the signal at one point, but it helped be to get the street.

AZB the app Navitel wasn't bad either. Once gain thanks AZB

rubio, can you upload new updated ola map for navitel?
On thing you can do with google maps is that you can download offline map of the city where you want to navigate to and then even if the signal is lost, you are still on track. Google map seem more updated and complete. I was able to navigate to my home just by putting in my street address and area where I lived, it showed me exactly the full address and took me there right to the door. I did the same for my office and again it took me straight to the door. Impressive. Almost all important PIO's are already listed in Google maps.
AZB