Huelga Tomorrow at Supermarkets and Colmados

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Apparently there will be a strike at all supermarkets and colmados tomorrow, meaning they will be closed. They are closing for the day to protest the recent tax hikes.
Not sure if Playero or Yanets will participate, being in tourist zones, but I asked in GH and they will be closed.
Title should have read Jan 16

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Apparently there will be a strike at all supermarkets and colmados tomorrow, meaning they will be closed. They are closing for the day to protest the recent tax hikes.
Not sure if Playero or Yanets will participate, being in tourist zones, but I asked in GH and they will be closed.

Source???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Gaspar Hernandez has long been a strike town. They are much quicker to strike there than anyplace on the North Coast, with the possible exception of Nagua.

I was in Playero as late as 6 pm today and there was no talk of strike there. There is no talk in Sosua of a strike as far as I know.

To claim that there will be a strike in "all supermarkets and colmados" is to go well beyond your data.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I heard a really long advert on the radio about this the other day, but it was saying they are going to be striking in different towns on different days. So I think it will move from place to place, it's not going to be everywhere at the same time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yesterdays DR1 news:
Shops on strike in Valverde

Shop owners in the northwestern provinces of Valverde and Santiago Rodriguez began a strike yesterday morning, Tuesday 14 January, in protest at against the requirement to install tax printers linked to the Tax Department (DGII) computers and the increase in the sales tax, as part of a series of shutdowns across the country.

Several businesses in Santiago respected the call to strike and nearly all of the shops in Calle del Sol closed their doors.

According to the president of the Dominican Traders Association, the strike began at 6am and was due to end at 6pm. He said that the closures would continue on Thursday 16 January in Espaillat, and that businesses in neighboring provinces could also join the strike if they wanted to.

Traders on Calle del Sol said the country was not ready for the new system of tax printers that would cost more than RD$150,000 to install.

The strikes began last week in the provinces of Duarte (San Francisco and Macoris) and Maria Trinidad Sanchez (Nagua) and the organizers say they will continue in other parts of the country throughout the month of January. The businesses did not participate in deals offered by the DGII and now want the government to cover the cost of the tax printers, many of which cost around RD$60,000.

Comerciantes cierran sus puertas en Valverde y Santiago Rodr?guez - listindiario.com

And I can confirm that all shops, supermarkets (big and small) and colmados were closed in the two provinces.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what the f**k is that? didn't the DGII say clearly the machines are for businesses that make over 7 million pesos a year? and that the cheap models of those printers cost only 25k?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
what the f**k is that? didn't the DGII say clearly the machines are for businesses that make over 7 million pesos a year? and that the cheap models of those printers cost only 25k?

Yes, DGII did.

From yesterday's Sosua News:

We wrote on December 14 that all commercial enterprises in the Sos?a area received a letter from the IRS (Direccion General de Impuestos Internos) in which they were given notice that they had to buy and install a financial software program. With that program will be tracked exactly what the turnover of the company is and what amount of ITBIS (value added tax) has to be paid to the government. For smaller companies the cost would be around 80,000 peso. Larger companies have to invest more than one hundred thousand pesos for the financial program. But not everything is as bad as it seems. After mass protests of mainly smaller companies as Colmado's (grocery) butchers, vegetable vendors and the like the Dominican IRS gave in. The head of internal taxes, Guarocuya Felix, made an appeal to the small business owners to stay calm. The tax administration was not adequately equipped to implement the software programs, he said. Furthermore, the system is introduced only for companies with a turnover of more than RD $ 7.8 million per year or for purchases over RD $ 30 million.

So the introduction of this registration system is postponed to a later date and will then apply only to large enterprises.
Source: Listin Diario

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So does this effect big chain store as well? Like Pricesmart? My wife told me she was going to go shopping there with friend?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So does this effect big chain store as well? Like Pricesmart? My wife told me she was going to go shopping there with friend?

i am pretty sure that big businesses already have all the printers they need. they will not waste time. time is money. this is why they are big business and hack up millions of dollars a year.