All stores are closed in Moca.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Any news on this.

I was going to go out to buy few stuff but my worker said all are closed to fight the government on taxes. Is this only Moca thing or is any other places closed as well?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thought you lived in Santiago, met a friendly Korean fellow at the oil change spot and could sworn it was you. He was a presbyterian pastor that drove to Haiti on a weekly basis and was really friendly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Closing a business so you make less money to protest tax requirements just makes so much sense.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Closing a business so you make less money to protest tax requirements just makes so much sense.

you have lived here long enough to have that one figured out. it is like Dominican Economics 101. if you cannot sell your product, push up the price, so that when you sell anything today you make up for what you did not make yesterday.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thought you lived in Santiago, met a friendly Korean fellow at the oil change spot and could sworn it was you. He was a presbyterian pastor that drove to Haiti on a weekly basis and was really friendly.

Oh no... I am not friendly at all. :p.

I do live in Santiago but I work here in Moca, then again I spend more time here than my home. :(

I think I met that pastor once on someone's house warming party. I think I helped him on his phone downloading few christian related and Korean radio related apps.

You will know when you spot me on a street as I am probably one of the tallest or probably heaviest Asian in Santiago at 6'2" and at 230lbs+. I lost a lot of weight though that is why I should probably around 230lbs.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Any news on this.

I was going to go out to buy few stuff but my worker said all are closed to fight the government on taxes. Is this only Moca thing or is any other places closed as well?

What is wrong with these people? Pass on the tax to consumers and pay it to the government. These people have been screwing the gov out of taxes for years and now that their hand has been forced they close. That make a lot of sense. Close and don't earn a living. You want better services and more services than pay the tax. Moca will probably have tires burning in the street. They resort to public protests at the drop of a hat. The gov can't trust them to honestly collect and pay taxes so they are forcing these people to comply. The gov has turned their back for years allowing business' to collect or not . I think they are smart to now be able to monitor these people. Call it stupid, unfair or theft. Times are a changing and it is time for attidudes to change.

LTSteve

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
We had that anti-tax strike in Bani last week. Though a bit inconvenient, I enjoyed the peace and quiet. No loud colmados or conchos. I think we should have the strike every week.

As for the tax issue: the idea of the strike did not seem to make sense to me, either. I believe the expression is: cut off your nose to spite your face. I'll show the government: I am not going to do business for a day and lose money so the government will know that I am serious about not paying a tax to the government even though I have been charging customers 18%.

But on the other hand, if public services were actually offered and public servants actually did their job, then paying the 18% tax wouldn't be so bad. Why should I pay so much so elected officials get a new luxury car every year and free electricity and jobs for all their family members?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's not as stupid as it seems. Since the whole village is doing it and people have to eat, they'll sell tomorrow what they didn't sell today. It's also more a signal to the government than to hurt the government with not generating taxable sales.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's not as stupid as it seems. Since the whole village is doing it and people have to eat, they'll sell tomorrow what they didn't sell today.

it makes no sense. people will not buy tomorrow what they did not buy today. it's like claiming they will have two meals tomorrow because they did not have one today. and even thou drinking twice as many presidentes holds certain appeal it is still incorrect.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Not sure how it was handled in Moca, but here in Bani, the strike was announced several days ahead of time. People bought what they needed the day before.

For those (like me) who didn't really think about it and who has a vehicle: La Sirena stayed open, and people went there to shop. No one threw rocks or threatened the store or shoppers in any way. In the end, the locally owned merchants hurt themselves.

As for hurting the government: most of the colmados don't collect or pay taxes anyway. They seem to be the ones the government wants to crack down on.

As for Bani, the strike really wasn't all that effective. It seemed like a way of trying to threaten the government, but Danilo called their bluff by totally ignoring them.

(I forget which person it is who has such a good grasp of economics. Hillbilly? I'm too lazy to search who it is.)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Store owners don?t throw stones or burn tires. This is not that kind of huelga.

On a regular huelga, it?s the tigueres (heroes, for some people) who actually force the stores to close. They damage private and public property. If there?s a huelga and your store is open, they'll consider that you are not being supportive of the protest and the claims done on behalf of the city. They will surely break your windows or something.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
it makes no sense. people will not buy tomorrow what they did not buy today. it's like claiming they will have two meals tomorrow because they did not have one today. and even thou drinking twice as many presidentes holds certain appeal it is still incorrect.
Not true. The strike was advised the day before. People could (and probably did) buy what they needed for the next day already and delaying the supermarket one day doesn't matter either.

The more my wife delays going to the supermarket the more she spends when she finally goes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not true. The strike was advised the day before. People could (and probably did) buy what they needed for the next day already and delaying the supermarket one day doesn't matter either.
The more my wife delays going to the supermarket the more she spends when she finally goes.

not true. if i could not buy a bag of rice today because the shops were close i will not buy two bags of rice tomorrow. those who needed anything on that day went to do their business elsewhere. the shop owners who closed made no money and they will not recuperate it tomorrow. if a worker buys pan de agua y jugo every morning and on a certain day the shop is closed the next day he will buy pan de agua y jugo again, not the double portion.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As for hurting the government: most of the colmados don't collect or pay taxes anyway. They seem to be the ones the government wants to crack down on.

What do you base that statement on? DGII has made it very clear that the new requirements are only for the large businesses, not the small ones like colmados?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What do you base that statement on? DGII has made it very clear that the new requirements are only for the large businesses, not the small ones like colmados?

which is why i do not understand why did they go on strike. dumb move.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
not true. if i could not buy a bag of rice today because the shops were close i will not buy two bags of rice tomorrow. those who needed anything on that day went to do their business elsewhere. the shop owners who closed made no money and they will not recuperate it tomorrow. if a worker buys pan de agua y jugo every morning and on a certain day the shop is closed the next day he will buy pan de agua y jugo again, not the double portion.
The one who normally is buying a pan de Agua con jugo now had to eat the galletas de lujo that his wife was keeping for when her sister from Nueva Yol is visiting next week. Now she has to buy them again when the stores are open again.