Dominican first latino to ny 17th century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Dominican American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home in Santo Domingo, in what is now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say. He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with Portuguese and African blood, according to the City University of New York?s Dominican Studies Institute."

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
How could there be a downtown if there were no non-Indians there yet?

down town could refer to commercial area or wikipedia could mean the location of present day downtown

btw dont go on a tangent based on pure semantics, the real point how far back you can trace dominicans in the USA

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
A cut and paste from wikipedia.

Juan Rodriguez (Jo?o Rodrigues in Portuguese or Jan in Dutch), born in Santo Domingo—currently the capital of the Dominican Republic—was the son of a Portuguese sailor and an African woman and was the first documented non-Native American to live on Manhattan Island. As such, he is considered the first non-native resident of what would eventually become New York City, predating the Dutch settlers. He is also considered the first immigrant, the first person of African heritage, the first person of European heritage, the first merchant, the first Latino, and the first Dominican to settle in Manhattan.

Of note his Dutch contemporaries are known to have referred to him as a Spaniard.

I am keenly interested in colonial history of New York and New England.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
This makes me so proud of my Portuguese bloodline. We do know how to do more than fish and play with concrete.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Good to add that he came on board of a Dutch ship as a servant/translator to the Dutch captain. When they arrived at what now is New York, he married a local and when the Dutch left he decided to stay, spending winter at a Dutch fur trading post. Later these Dutch traders/settlers founded New Amsterdam.

Did I mention already they were Dutch?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I could hear it now, in the colmados and colmadones in Villa Duarte and in the speeches given by those Washington Heights "politicians" on Parade day:

"Nosotros fuimos los primeros en llegar a la gran urbe. S?, as? mismito como lo est?n oyendo: LOS PRIMEROS!"

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
"Empiric", nice thread????
You only need 97 more posts to reach your "GOAL"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

my goal?, what goal? did i mention any goal?, ok, I forgot you know better than anyone here...

btw, what was wrong with my previous threads, so you differenciate, stating this one is 'nice'...,

however not asking for diatribe

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Make it as phony as you wish if it sounds like there were dominicans involved? Is that the idea? If it doesn't make sense why post it?

spliting hair?, what does not make sense to some people, it does for othes,

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe you could explain it to the rest of us. How cloud a person be downtown a century before there was a downtown? And be in the USA before there was USA?
Are you saying that Christopher Columbus was not Italian?

George Washington was not American?

Toussaint Lovertoure was not Haitian?

Hmmm....

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Are you saying that Christopher Columbus was not Italian?

George Washington was not American?

Toussaint Lovertoure was not Haitian?

Hmmm....

Columbus was not Italian, GW was not American, and Louverture was not Haitian.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe you could explain it to the rest of us. How cloud a person be downtown a century before there was a downtown? And be in the USA before there was USA?

Geesh, READ the OP. Says first in Manhattan. Not USA. There was certainly a downtown Manhattan in 1700s.

And on that note, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.