Carnival in February

M

Milli

Can someone tell me the exact holiday date for the Carnival...I remember one day devoted everything shut down and each and every dominican partying throughout Puerto Plata. My memory is bad.

M

mrbean

Probably a bit early for an exact date, as last year they changed the date for Santo Domingo rather close to the time... The La Vega carnival is every Sunday for the month of Feb, with the 3rd sunday (I am told) being the best.

T

trina

I think the one day you're talking about is Feb 27 (or 26...Independence Day). But in POP, there is a party on the Malecon every Sunday in February.

I

ivan erickson

NO, NO, NO !!! La vega is not the best carnival. Ask around, you will get a clearer picture if you ask someone who has actually been there for carnival. Santiago has the longest running, the most organized and the most original carnival. Though I would recommend going to all. The BIG parade in Santiago is February 27. You won't be dissappointed !

M

Milli

Thanks guys...its February 27 and that solves my problem

S

Sean

Not that easy

I asked the same question a week or so ago, and got little response. The DR tourist board in Miami doesn't respond to its e-mails, and the office in Chicago told (incorrectly) that there is only one celebration "in the country" and that's on Independence Day, the 27th of February. (The tourist board website has 2001 information, and nothing on next year, yet.) I was surprised that so few readers here are aware of accurate information on the topic (but, I'm certain some have other things to worry about), but I've done some reading and searching and came up with answers that, to me, seemed reasonably accurate...that there are celebrations in different parts of the country throughout February (primarily on Sundays), and, yes, there is a culmination on the 27th (or, really?) with the biggest celebration being in Santo Domingo. I, too, have read and heard from many sources, that the events in La Vega are considered to be the best (whatever "best" means to who's commenting).

I

ivan

Re: Not that easy

Sean, Please forgive me for being a pest, but your conclusion about la vega is ( I'm sorry!) WRONG. Carnival in La Vega is for the most part a commercial event. It is the one that people talk the most about in the capital and in tourism circles because of its proximity to Santo Domingo. Commercial sponsors(beer, rum and cigarettes) and tour operators have made it a popular destination. There you can experience carnival in a convenient little package. I have been going to se the carnival in different towns for a few years sponsored by NY State Council on the Humanities and NY Folklore Society among others, spending time with mask makers and event organizers learning and taking pictures. February 27th in Santiago is it.

T

Theresa

Re: Not that easy

I found this link that was made from the carneval in La Vega and found it to be very interesting but there is no dates for 2002 posted. Even has music...