Cockroaches!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We seem to have an infestation of them. No matter how many we kill, how much we spray, how much we clean, they keep coming back.

Any tips?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We seem to have an infestation of them. No matter how many we kill, how much we spray, how much we clean, they keep coming back.

Any tips?

ever tried looking to see where they get in? those suckers fly, so they get in through open windows, then hide somewhere where they lay a gazillion eggs.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Any tips?

How to Get Rid of Roaches: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

It appears that Ants actually devour roaches so they would be handy to have around...but then you'd have....Ants.

I have lived in urban roach breeding grounds during my early travels and I have found that the two-step method of roach prevention, namely mopping/ scrubbing with bleach and applying boric acid in crevices when dry does a very thorough job of controlling roach populations. It won't keep them from entering but they'll find no safe place to breed once they do. Pay extra attention to areas around water/ drain pipes.

When we first moved here we had a lot of cockroaches and I was constantly screaming. We tried many things to get rid of them, the toxic sprays, beer in a bucket that is oiled on the side so they can't get out b/c they are so drunk, eucalyptus oils put around the house in little dishes b/c they hate the smell of Eucalyptus, cedar, rosemary.

We also put coffee grounds in some areas b/c they don't like the smell of that either. We put Boric Acid in the area the roaches liked to go and cleaned like crazy but they still came around, less but still there so we got an exterminator to come and since that it has been better but still saw some roaches so I bought these little white cube things from L S and put them in all the places the roaches like.
When we cleaned everything with bleach and or boric acid and packaged all of our food up that helped too.

Now I see one every once in a while.

May 29, 2006
Use boric acid powder instead of regular poisons, which they can build up a tolerance to. Since boric acid is non-toxic, you can use it liberally. They often lay eggs in the gasket around the fridge freezer doors and under sinks. They lay under sinks for the moisture and the gaskets for the heat. The gaskets are heated around the freezer to prevent them from getting frozen to the door. Look inside them and you might be unpleasantly surprised. Check for water leaking or condensing around plumbing since they require water. Also check around the water heater.

Check behind light switch and outlet plates~ this is a common way they get in and they are sometimes attracted to electricity.

Somewhere is a food source to help them breed~it takes a long time to get rid of them since they will eat each other when food gets short.

I heard about some Chinese chalk type poison that you draw on their paths and it's suppose to be very effective and lasts for weeks. It's also prob not that safe.

Do have pets? They love cat and dog food..

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I heard about some Chinese chalk type poison that you draw on their paths and it's suppose to be very effective and lasts for weeks. It's also prob not that safe.

They sell this on Fordham Road in the Da Bronx.

Some guy in the street corner yelling "Tempo Tempo" "Tengo Tempo Tempo".

@Gorgon/Berzin:

Remember?

Last edited:

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
I bought some anti cockroach tablets from La Sirena, can't remember the name but they are in the bug kill dept, there.

I placed the tablets in all likely places about eight weeks ago and the only cockroaches I have seen since have been dead ones.

FB.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Get yourselves some good hunting cats... They do marvel catching those nasty buggers... and then they kill them after having played a little with them... Then I just sweep the dead beasts outside to feed the ants...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The "Chinese chalk" is boric acid. The "cubes" are roach bait made from a mixture of boric acid, flour and sugar. All these things work but cleaning thoroughly in the dark, moist areas near which roaches like to lay eggs is a must.

Also removing non-food items that roaches consume like the glue that holds paper bags together which is the roach equivalent of chocolate cake is a good idea. any paper products with glue like cardboard boxed or paper bags should be thrown away after use. or replaced with plastic equivalents.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They sell this in Fordham Road in the Da Bronx.

Some guy on the street corner yelling "Tempo Tempo" "Tengo Tempo Tempo".

@Gorgon/Berzin:

Remember?

of course!! you marked a line on the floor, or wall, and when they walked over it they died a bit later. it is now highly illegal..do they still sell it there?

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no joke, a cat. especially if you have an issue with them large roaches. small roaches in the kitchen are not that easy. i suggest to clean the whole kitchen with cloro and then put some roach powder inside cabinets, along the sides and in the corners. make sure no animal or kid can reach this powder easily. there is a chinese powder that is very effective, comes in small silver pouches with lotsa chinese letters and rather nice roach drawing. the stuff smells like crushed cookies, very yummy. again, keep away from kids who are known to eat worse things than that...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I can't ever remember seeing cockroaches at our houses. Ants, yes, of course but no cockroaches. I would have to attribute it to Tia moping every few hours with cloro. They couln't survive her cleaning.

I did hear somewhere that catnip killed them but I can't find any evidence.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As soon as I see several cockroaches I fumigate the house. Cockroach free for at least 3 months after that.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
When one lays down with fleas, you know the saying.. Much has to do with where one decides to "become an expat"... When one lives in a Barrio, you get Barrio results... I've never understood why the majority of expats on DR1 just didn't move to Compton in California or Crenshaw Street in Detroit... I mean Ghetto is Ghetto.... I guess it was the Sunshine... But living in a Barrio with all that dust and dirty pavement and not to mention the DOMS... sheesh..

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When one lays down with fleas, you know the saying.. Much has to do with where one decides to "become an expat"... When one lives in a Barrio, you get Barrio results... I've never understood why the majority of expats on DR1 just didn't move to Compton in California or Crenshaw Street in Detroit... I mean Ghetto is Ghetto.... I guess it was the Sunshine... But living in a Barrio with all that dust and dirty pavement and not to mention the DOMS... sheesh..

Depends on the kind of roaches.

The large ones come from moisture. Cleaniness is not the issue. They fly too.

If I Have Roaches, Does That Mean My House Is Dirty? | eHow

May 29, 2006
I agree you have to be esp careful of cardboard. You can also be bringing them in on store boxes. It's not like they don't ever have roaches.