Having a baby in the DR!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
This is for all the foreigners who live on a small budget and want to have children here in the DR.

A Dutch guy here in BC and his woman were expecting twins and they were born premature at 7,5 months 3 days ago. Being a foreigner he got the foreign treatment meaning double the normal rates.
He couldn't afford that and had his children moved to another clinic that was cheaper and who confirmed to him that they had 2 incubators. They did have 2 but only one was working so they put both babies in one incubator which was no problem as the parents were assured by the doctors. Both babies suffocated!
I just came back from the wake, the tiny babies both were placed in the same little box. I can't get rid of the image of the 2 blue babies. The father was still presented with the bill!!

Never forget that this is a 3rd world country and even though many are born healthy every day I'm certain that many also die because of lack of everything.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
How sad.

When I first came here twenty+ years ago, it was explained to me that traditionally, children were not registered until they were two or three years old because of the high infant mortality rate.

Though improvements have been made, you are very correct to remind us that the best of medical care is not always available.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a high rate of deaths here among prematurely born babies, we talked about it a while ago. i think that deciding on birth here without insurance and without much money is simply stupid if there is another option. if anything goes wrong one is in a deep ass of trouble.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
was the clinic in BC or in SD?

Sad story....and they had the nerve to present the bill...

but I'm sure it wasn't 'their fault'..:(

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
UPDATE
It was the San Rafael hospital in the capital.
The dad had to pay first a down payment of RD90.000 which he did. Then after the first day they told him he had to pay an additional RD140.000 for the first day. He said that it was expensive and they moved the children to another hospital in order to save some money. The first hospital called the last one to see whether they had an incubator and they said yes.
Arriving at the second hospital there was only one incubator, the first hospital forgot to ask if they had 2. :ermm:
They decided to put them in one which should be no problem.
The dad got handed another bill for RD180.000
Then the dad was told that the smallest one had died, he was sitting next to the baby when he saw that it was still alive!!!
They did some work on it again but to no prevail.
The bigger one needed a blood transfusion but they had no blood!! The dad has a cold so he couldn't give blood, he was told that he had to go to the Red Cross to pick it up, he also had to pay RD2000.
On the way back to the hospital, the cab he was travelling in got caught up in a traffic jam so he got out and ran the remaining mile to just arrive in time to see his other baby die.
The babies were born the natural way but it was a very troublesome birth, the babies came out black and blue from the bruises and lack of oxygen.
It's a tragedy!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Sad story.
I wonder why if the parents could pay that much they didn't have insurance?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, could you plse explain the normal procedure for a premature delivery of twins?
Its hard to say without knowing the gestational age of the babies.
And people have different meanings for "7.5" months pregnant, you never know if they are going by the standard layperson's understanding of 9 month pregnancy or the medical one for 10 months.

I am concerned though about why the babies were born "black and blue"...

SHALENA

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Shaleena, you have the expertise, but the rest of us know very little of this except that words cannot explain the sadness of this passing.
As I reflect on this I know that my many kids were all born well in the Puerto Plata Hospital (scary as it is) and I wonder how many of the children of the very poor encounter this problem (no incubator) and perish from this earth. No words can explain this. RIP little ones.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I thought public medical care was free??even for foreigners.......

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Fuk that! Postal time!!! End of story

this is for all the foreigners who live on a small budget and want to have children here in the dr.

A dutch guy here in bc and his woman were expecting twins and they were born premature at 7,5 months 3 days ago. Being a foreigner he got the foreign treatment meaning double the normal rates.
He couldn't afford that and had his children moved to another clinic that was cheaper and who confirmed to him that they had 2 incubators. They did have 2 but only one was working so they put both babies in one incubator which was no problem as the parents were assured by the doctors. Both babies suffocated!
I just came back from the wake, the tiny babies both were placed in the same little box. I can't get rid of the image of the 2 blue babies. The father was still presented with the bill!!

Never forget that this is a 3rd world country and even though many are born healthy every day i'm certain that many also die because of lack of everything.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I wish I could personally place a wreath and offer my condolences in person, but thankfully Frank hopefully laid so many heart felt condolences for all of us. A very disturbing occurrence of which I am sure we are all considering today. Us fathers are, I know, struggling to comprehend what this guy is going through right now, and are all failing, it is impossible.
I am sure we all wish there was something we could do to change this situation, but it is done.
If there is a god, look over these children and their parents, at least grant them this.

As far as fees go, never pay them. No court in the country will enforce this, 100%.

No snide comments of yes they will. They won't.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
So very sad. I pray for the parents, who will carry this loss for the rest of their lives. RIP wee ones.