Dominican 'Queen' before Marilyn Monroe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Not To Worry", "Emedic" is just trying desperately to reach his goal of 500 posts anyway he can!!!
Since he has nothing personal about the DR to post, he just "Searches The Net" looking for ANYTHING, mostly irrelevant to "Cut & Past",. or POST!
The "Jokes On Him", the "OFF TOPIC FORUM" is way beyond his level of comprehension!
"Original Thought" is required there!
ps, "Conspiracy Theorists",...Need Not Apply!!!!
"E Man", I think there is "something", or "someone" under your bed???
Better Check"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
By birth like most Dominicans.
Maria Montez Biography

Thanks. The link provided by the original poster suggested that she was the child of Spanish diplomats, who were reassigned to Ireland, where she met and married (at age 17) her first husband. She then spent the rest of her life between the US and Europe. Assuming what he presented to be facts, she is not obviously Dominican.

Aug 6, 2006
If she was born in Barahona, then she was not born in the Embassy, which would have been Spanish soil. It is likely that she also was a Spanish citizen as well. I see in her bio that her father was an honorary consul, which explains why the family lived outside the capital. Her mother was born in Bani. Her father was a primarily an exporter, rather than a diplomat.

When she was at the height of her fame, Spain was an ally of Nazi Germany, and Trujillo was pushing the idea that the DR was a mostly White country. There is a hotel in Barahona named for her as well. Maria Montez International Airport has no scheduled flights from anywhere. I bet the jefe de aduana has a really great time of it. Barahona was sort of the center of a sugar boom at about the time when she was born. This "Dance of the Millions" as it was called, ended in the early 1930's.

These days, her fame is not well known except by reputation. Barahona has not had a movie theater for decades.

Last edited:

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks. The link provided by the original poster suggested that she was the child of Spanish diplomats, who were reassigned to Ireland, where she met and married (at age 17) her first husband. She then spent the rest of her life between the US and Europe. Assuming what he presented to be facts, she is not obviously Dominican.

your conclusion is WRONG, read the link, slowly

"diplomats", plural, in the same country?, DR, really?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I now defer to some of the best advice ever given on how to conduct yourself on the internet. Given by Mark Twain who died some sixty years before anyone ever heard of the internet.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I now defer to some of the best advice ever given on how to conduct yourself on the internet. Given by Mark Twain who died some sixty years before anyone ever heard of the internet.

I'd say nearly 80% of all Dominicans are of "Spanish descent" . I can personally track both sides of my family back to roots in Madrid and the Canary Islands, but I'm still working on filling in quite a few blank spaces.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
As far as I can see most ex-pat are happy living in DR [they have not been force to anyway], specially those with real family, dominican or also 'imported/exotic'

those who complaint about DR are not living a happy family life anyway, seem to me...

It also seems to me that from that group come those who don't like when someone identify/point a sucessfull dominican, even to the point of questioning her/his dominican nationality

those I have identified, were either born in DR, or at least one of their parent was born in DR

nationalism is bad thing, when there is no reason to beleive people from x place are better than the rest

after all 'they' say we all come from Africa, [dont have the link now, but it has been researched/studied]

be happy accept reality

PD
how do i become a member of the "off topic" club? what is it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.