Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wage increases for public school teachers

The Ministry of Education has announced a 10% wage increase for public schoolteachers, effective in paychecks issued on 25 January. Minister Carlos Amarante Baret recalled that in 2013, public school teachers received a 36% wage increase. Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service
    So just out of curiosity, how much is the average teacher salary after this wage increase?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

At least one large elementary school in Barahona has been closed since before Christmas. They claim that they have not yet finished repairs to the building. Before that, students had two four-hour sessions per day. Education there now is worse than it was in pueblos in Mexico in the 1960's. They got five hours per day, 165 days a year.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by esl_prof View Post
    So just out of curiosity, how much is the average teacher salary after this wage increase?
    looks like the teachers are not happy with that:
    Los maestros rechazan el aumento de sueldos de 10% - DiarioLibre.com

the salary depends on a teacher. i spoke to a director of a school here in POP and he explained he has two types of teachers: private (paid by school) and public (paid by the ministry of education). the salary is per time block, if i can say so. morning block, afternoon block. a private teacher in a public school will get about 15-16k pesos a month. a public teacher will get about 30-35k pesos a month (as forked out my the ministry of education).

i was told there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?

this is why i think many of the teachers here deserve public flogging rather than pay rise. not to mention that so many of them have no qualifications whatsoever to do their "jobs".

4. Likes Criss Colon, caribmike liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Before the Revolution in Cuba, there is a legend that the train to Havana at the end of the month was always stuffed, because the law required teachers to pick up their check in the provinces at the school where they allegedly worked, and the teachers on the train lived in Havana and only showed up on paydays.

There are three main problems in Latin America with education:

The schools are underfunded, the teachers are unqualified, and the teachers do not show up to teach.

6. Likes esl_prof, Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

can be. i assume the revolution put a stop to that. nothing like good, solid communist education.

8. Likes esl_prof liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    looks like the teachers are not happy with that:
    Los maestros rechazan el aumento de sueldos de 10% - DiarioLibre.com

the salary depends on a teacher. i spoke to a director of a school here in POP and he explained he has two types of teachers: private (paid by school) and public (paid by the ministry of education). the salary is per time block, if i can say so. morning block, afternoon block. a private teacher in a public school will get about 15-16k pesos a month. a public teacher will get about 30-35k pesos a month (as forked out my the ministry of education).

i was told there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?

this is why i think many of the teachers here deserve public flogging rather than pay rise. not to mention that so many of them have no qualifications whatsoever to do their "jobs".
    are you kidding me? the teacher subcontracts the job to some rube? what is that?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for, maybe LESS!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

"...there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?"

This should be investigated, those found doing this should be publicly announced with full name, cedula, location etc. fired and stripped off of all teacher pension rights and not be allowed back into any kind of teaching or government job.

12. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    "...there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?"

This should be investigated, those found doing this should be publicly announced with full name, cedula, location etc. fired and stripped off of all teacher pension rights and not be allowed back into any kind of teaching or government job.
    well, since dv8 posted it, maybe it is common knowledge within the fraternity. what need is there for an investigation? my buddy's girlfriend told me that her math final grade was paid for with hard earned money.

14. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i will not name names or make a denuncia, btw, my lips are sealed. but i fully believe it happens. public teachers are often folks with 30 years of "working". typical botellas. they are difficult to touch. any government related jobs are open to corruption process.

a while ago there was a strike of teachers. one of the "maestros" held hand made sign saying SOMOS DIGNO. no, you are not. how dare you ask for better salaries for teaching if you don't know proper spanish?

here is another great example of who dares to demand more money:

16. Likes Squat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast