Wage increases for public school teachers

Aug 6, 2006
At least one large elementary school in Barahona has been closed since before Christmas. They claim that they have not yet finished repairs to the building. Before that, students had two four-hour sessions per day. Education there now is worse than it was in pueblos in Mexico in the 1960's. They got five hours per day, 165 days a year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So just out of curiosity, how much is the average teacher salary after this wage increase?

looks like the teachers are not happy with that:
Los maestros rechazan el aumento de sueldos de 10% - DiarioLibre.com

the salary depends on a teacher. i spoke to a director of a school here in POP and he explained he has two types of teachers: private (paid by school) and public (paid by the ministry of education). the salary is per time block, if i can say so. morning block, afternoon block. a private teacher in a public school will get about 15-16k pesos a month. a public teacher will get about 30-35k pesos a month (as forked out my the ministry of education).

i was told there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?

this is why i think many of the teachers here deserve public flogging rather than pay rise. not to mention that so many of them have no qualifications whatsoever to do their "jobs".

Aug 6, 2006
Before the Revolution in Cuba, there is a legend that the train to Havana at the end of the month was always stuffed, because the law required teachers to pick up their check in the provinces at the school where they allegedly worked, and the teachers on the train lived in Havana and only showed up on paydays.

There are three main problems in Latin America with education:

The schools are underfunded, the teachers are unqualified, and the teachers do not show up to teach.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can be. i assume the revolution put a stop to that. nothing like good, solid communist education.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
looks like the teachers are not happy with that:
Los maestros rechazan el aumento de sueldos de 10% - DiarioLibre.com

the salary depends on a teacher. i spoke to a director of a school here in POP and he explained he has two types of teachers: private (paid by school) and public (paid by the ministry of education). the salary is per time block, if i can say so. morning block, afternoon block. a private teacher in a public school will get about 15-16k pesos a month. a public teacher will get about 30-35k pesos a month (as forked out my the ministry of education).

i was told there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?

this is why i think many of the teachers here deserve public flogging rather than pay rise. not to mention that so many of them have no qualifications whatsoever to do their "jobs".

are you kidding me? the teacher subcontracts the job to some rube? what is that?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?"

This should be investigated, those found doing this should be publicly announced with full name, cedula, location etc. fired and stripped off of all teacher pension rights and not be allowed back into any kind of teaching or government job.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"...there are public teachers who hire a replacement teacher for 8k pesos and don't even bother to go to school ever. they get paid their salary, pay off the replacement they hired and are still left with decent money without leaving the house. neat, isn't it?"

This should be investigated, those found doing this should be publicly announced with full name, cedula, location etc. fired and stripped off of all teacher pension rights and not be allowed back into any kind of teaching or government job.

well, since dv8 posted it, maybe it is common knowledge within the fraternity. what need is there for an investigation? my buddy's girlfriend told me that her math final grade was paid for with hard earned money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will not name names or make a denuncia, btw, my lips are sealed. but i fully believe it happens. public teachers are often folks with 30 years of "working". typical botellas. they are difficult to touch. any government related jobs are open to corruption process.

a while ago there was a strike of teachers. one of the "maestros" held hand made sign saying SOMOS DIGNO. no, you are not. how dare you ask for better salaries for teaching if you don't know proper spanish?

here is another great example of who dares to demand more money:

2z9gu2q.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
"Coalisi?n indeed!

I had a Cuban girlfriend for five years, and the letters and posts from her daughter, who was once a dancer at the Tropicana, suggest that Fidel has a rather long way to go in the instruction of written composition and legible handwriting in at least one instance. Her thinking skills were none too swift, either.But I suppose that some dancers are not all that good at writing in any country. I cannot say that Lil Kim would be any better than this girl. Strangely, her mother named her Yusef, and seemed to have no reason for doing so.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
With four kids in school here, I actually KNOW what goes on, and it "Ain't Pretty"!
"Education" here is just another "Corrupt Government Business"!
Children are just the "Pawns" in this "game"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 12, 2005
With four kids in school here, I actually KNOW what goes on, and it "Ain't Pretty"!
"Education" here is just another "Corrupt Government Business"!
Children are just the "Pawns" in this "game"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hence the large amount of private schools here. Well worth the pesos considering the alternative.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, My kids all GO to "Private Schools"!!!!!
You can send your kids to private schools, but you have to "Educate Them" at HOME!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
i will not name names or make a denuncia, btw, my lips are sealed. but i fully believe it happens. public teachers are often folks with 30 years of "working". typical botellas. they are difficult to touch. any government related jobs are open to corruption process.

a while ago there was a strike of teachers. one of the "maestros" held hand made sign saying SOMOS DIGNO. no, you are not. how dare you ask for better salaries for teaching if you don't know proper spanish?

here is another great example of who dares to demand more money:

2z9gu2q.jpg

What exacly do you think is going to come out of the proposed reform going on?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What exacly do you think is going to come out of the proposed reform going on?

some good things: more schools is a start. i would have preferred to see this money invested in people rather than things but one cannot have everything. i know that there are lots of schools being built, all over the country. yes, DR needs more class rooms but it also needs better teachers and some projects allowing poor kids to go to school. it would be great if all public schools provided a uniform to the students, one set a year. and all books, one set per year, to be returned at the end of the school yera (or be kept in the school at all times). but so far it's dumb teaching the dumb how to be dumb.

number two is better salaries for teachers. again, theoretically this is a great thing. teaching is a difficult job and it should be rewarded accordingly. "accordingly" is a key word here. in poland all teachers pass different stages of pay, the longer they teach the more they get. but they are also evaluated every year to assure the quality of their service. additional courses and qualifications are government sponsored (and by EU as well).

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
So just out of curiosity, how much is the average teacher salary after this wage increase?

Salary increase wont atract better teachers [unless increased by 500% LOL], nor it will make the present teachers any better.

Btw, traditional teaching is anacronic, even for the rate of information flow in the 1950'.

All educational material to be transmited has been coded long ago, you dont need a 'live' teacher.

It is 'explicit knowledge' and even 'tacit knowledge' has been codified to a great extent, so much of it is no longer 'tacit

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Teaching is even more complicated than programming or working with computers... or at least it requires more insight.

when programming or working with computers you know for sure what to expect from it... they are all the same and speak only one language, binary.