Blackberry 9300 Curve

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Someone here know if the Blackberry 9300 Curve can be used (for Internet) on Claro and Orange ??

Feb 7, 2007
Yes it can, but you must select "Blackberry" plan instead of "Internet" plan when activating. You can do prepaid, by month or by day. For prepaid, Claro is better because it will give you tethering possibility (including MyFi) but Orang won't.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Someone here know if the Blackberry 9300 Curve can be used (for Internet) on Claro and Orange ??
Yes, I had one, 2 years ago. Back then, it was cool ;-)
You can use it in wifi if needed, with the Opera browser and Whatsapp.
But it shall work fine with Orange, no contract, and Internet "paqueticos".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, I had one, 2 years ago. Back then, it was cool ;-)
You can use it in wifi if needed, with the Opera browser and Whatsapp.
But it shall work fine with Orange, no contract, and Internet "paqueticos".

So, you buy things because they are cool????

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
So, you buy things because they are cool????
I never say I did... However buying a Blackberry in 2014 is, well, uncool, for lack of a better word :)
That said, I really like BBM for Android, and the BBM Channels are fun too, soon to come for Android and IOS as well.
The word is BBM is coming to Windows Phone very soon...
So, yes, in a wy, I still like Blackberry...
How cool is that?
:)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is the blackberry (claro) the best phone to get if your main purpose is wifi?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Look here is the thing oringe is cheaper to use but the phone must get 3g internet on 900htz
Othwise you will only get the Eadge plan .it is so slow it is a wast of time . Now claro is a bit more expensive but if you do not know what HTZ your phone works on thy will rip you off oringe sold me the plan and thy knew it would not work thes kids work on comishion so thy well take advantige if thy can oohh and also there is no need to pay a deposit the little F ers got me on that one also.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I don?t think it?s the best phone for wifi only! BBM and certain apps won?t work, and If I remember correctly, push e-mail won?t work either.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
No way!!! You should order a Moto G from Amazon. It's less than 200US$, so it's tax free. And it will serve most purposes.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A quadband GSM phone will work on ANY GSM network. Some phones are dualband only, in which case you need to match the bands they work on with your service provider's (for example, Orange works in some bands while Claro works on the other two).
I'm sure there must be some exotic providers around the world where this does not hold true, but for DR purposes, you can rest assured that any quadband phone will work in any of the local GSM providers. Just make sure the phone is GSM and not CDMA, in which case you would be stuck with Tricom. I can understand that Claro workers are required to tell people that unlocked phones are evil. But that's another story.

As for using only wifi, a wifi only phone would be like a downsized tablet. I know tablets don't have psysical keyboards, but there are some interesting notebooks entering the market that run Android 4.2 and up, which means you can use virtually any phone app in your laptop. Watch out, the worlds are colliding.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Finally I bought a Nokia Asha 303, which is a quad band, pentaband 3G !!

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A quad band SHOULD work, but tell that to Claro. As far as I know, all the BB9900 are quad band.

But, when the local companies had the 9900 series phones, Claro sold the 9900, and Orange the 9930. Both companies will tell you that it has to be the specific model to work with their signal.

Having said that, take a Verizon 9900 to Claro, and they tell you it doesn't work with their signal. All you get is EDGE.

Believe me, I've taken various 9900's from different suppliers to Claro at the same time, and they couldn't get any of them to pull in 2G, let alone 3G.

Oh, ok. Blackberrys are complicated animals. I know people love them because of their keyboards, but their inner workings with data are more complex, and those core services that have to run through servers in Canada are not only a PIA, but also a fragile breaking point given the current situation of the company. I still think it has more to do with Claro technicians not wanting or knowing how to make the 9900 work than anything else.
At this point, all passions aside, I would recommend anyone still using blackberry to run away while there is still time for an easy transition. I know it's going to be hard for some, but it's time to face reality: blackberry is gone and it's not coming back. Spending money on a new blackberry is an act of lunacy.