Revista -getting experience in Higuey

Feb 7, 2007
Last week I renewed my revista.

To start, I went to Banco de Reservas. I remember old time it was just to pay 45 pesos and be done with it. Now, after doing a 20-minute wait in line, I was told I needed copy of matricula because they enter some info from matricula on the Receipt. I was told (after I complained) that I do not need to do the queue again. Later that day I brought in copy of matricula, skipped the line, paid the fee, and got the revista receit.

The next day I went to get revista, in Higuey it is Obras Publicas place in Villa Hortencia ... I cam at 4.15 was told they work till 3.30 pm only, so I was back on my way. I also asked guachiman if they required anything such as fire extinguisher etc he said nope...
The O.P. place is right after Presidente warehouse (coming form Higuey towards el Seybo). You will turn right into the first "major road" it looks like a small park. Beware that after turning right, the asphalt stops suddenly and there is a huge hole which is hardly seen form the driver's position. The first time I went in there, I tested my shocks. So slow down to a crawl and pass that hole slowly. About 200 meters straight, then turn left in front of a big parking lot, then immediately to the right to get to the lot. The parking lot is actually a green area covered with "caliche" and some grass here and there.

The process was really easy. It's 10.30 ama nd I pull into the O.P. lot. I am told by a guardia (upon asking "cual es el proceso") to go look for "the guy with the folder". So I find the "guy with the folder", who along with his "assistant" checked my car - front lights, turn signals, rear lights, and stop light. Not even windshield wipers or the horn. And you can completely forget about the triangle, botiquin, or the jack. So after he tested all the lights, the assistant-guy shouted "ta nitido" from the rear and I got my stamp on the matricula copy page.

I went inside the "house" (aka office), and did the line there. The line was about 15 people and it went fast. They took my copy of matricula, copy of insurance, and the tax (revista) receipt, and in like 5 minutes they handed me a page with "revista" sticker. Later on, I just peeled the revista sticker and pressed it on the windshield. All in all, I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. There were about 15-20 cars in the parking lot, and everything was moving very swiftly.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There are reports of 'at random' checks for triangle, botiquin and extinguisher, I wouldn't bet on it.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, you can always go back. It's not like a one-strike event. If you get "checked" for those items, come back the next day. And if you get checked again, buy the stuff... but I wouldn't buy it before going and taking my chances... (besides I would probably need to go to Capital to buy all that...). And I do assume, Hato Mayor, Seybo, Higuey, Monte Plata, Moca, Bani, Azua... most likely same all over. Capital and Santiago may be a bit stricter.

Feb 7, 2007
Mauricio... and it's not your car gets entered into some kind of database after a failed check, which would pop up the next time you go (at least not here in Higuey). If check failed, you simply do not get the "seal" of approval on your matricula copy with no sticker that day for you.

And most likely there is some "busqueda" because when I was there waiting in the line, the guy showed up with couple sets of paperwork (all sealed with approval), and inside the office he was asked if the cars were there, he said no and was told to bring in the cars.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since your experience was a 20 minute process, you are right. Here in SD, it's more like a 3 hour thing. A botiquin and a triangle wouldn't cost more than 700 pesos The only issue would be the extinguisher.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Since your experience was a 20 minute process, you are right. Here in SD, it's more like a 3 hour thing. A botiquin and a triangle wouldn't cost more than 700 pesos The only issue would be the extinguisher.

botiquin 300, triangle 150, extinguisher 500 .. This was at a small mechanic shop with parts shop inside. At pricesmart today I say an extinguisher for like 295 or something.

Why would someone go wait for hours in SD or STI without spending less than 25$ and being sure they'd get their revista first try is beyond me.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for this post and directions. I will try later this week after the holiday

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Before you put the sticker on your windshield you need to write your plate number in the space on the Revista.