Tired Of The Music

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
I've been here going on my third week. Have been spending my days getting set-up and localized, and my nights out and about the town. I've been all over and have grown a little tired of hearing the same exact songs all day and all night. It's like every Dominican has a playlist of 20-30 songs which gets pumped through everyones speakers.

The only escape I've found is PURE night club in Playa Dorada. But then you have to deal with being treated like an asshole b/c I don't have an all-inclusive bracelet.

I was a DJ in the US and would like to go to a place that mixes it up a bit. Even the karoake here plays the same songs. I've asked a couple of places if I could DJ and they replied that they already had a DJ. I even offered to play. I've DJ-ed in clubs all over the US and Canada and know how to keep the party going.

I've heard plenty of people, mostly gringos, complaining about the same thing. Just wondering if anyone knows of any place in the POP area that plays more that bachata. Don't want to start my own bar just to hear good music while out with my friends.

Any Advice????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been here going on my third week. Have been spending my days getting set-up and localized, and my nights out and about the town. I've been all over and have grown a little tired of hearing the same exact songs all day and all night. It's like every Dominican has a playlist of 20-30 songs which gets pumped through everyones speakers.

The only escape I've found is PURE night club in Playa Dorada. But then you have to deal with being treated like an asshole b/c I don't have an all-inclusive bracelet.

I was a DJ in the US and would like to go to a place that mixes it up a bit. Even the karoake here plays the same songs. I've asked a couple of places if I could DJ and they replied that they already had a DJ. I even offered to play. I've DJ-ed in clubs all over the US and Canada and know how to keep the party going.

I've heard plenty of people, mostly gringos, complaining about the same thing. Just wondering if anyone knows of any place in the POP area that plays more that bachata. Don't want to start my own bar just to hear good music while out with my friends.

Any Advice????

you know how to keep the party going in the USA and Canada. . this is the DR. they don't mind hearing the same ten songs they have been hearing since 2003. save your energy for more profitable exertions. you can't fix this.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Any Advice????

20-30 songs ?? Don't think so, unless these songs are from Prince Royce and Romeo Santos, otherwise I would estimate to 10 max.:cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you visited pure then you have exhausted all options to hear something other than bachata. sorry. your only hope is a loss of hearing. after 8 years in DR i am half way to total deafness. give it time.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's barrio music, the same old bachata on relay for the last 8 years as if they are new releases. This is how we can derive that for a nation of music lovers, they really know very little about music, quality, variety or ambience. To Dominicans music is a noise in the background they are brainwashed into knowing the words to, and they sing it today with the same emotion they did the first day it was released. Music value is barrio mentality no matter where you are, what class of company you are in.
I am switched off to it now, I don't even here the whining of bachata, the repeat of merengue, the predictability of salsa. Adventurous with music as they are with their diet, bland, same old same, every day with no interest of trying something new.

Mention trying something new and they will look at you like you just kicked their dog to death while throwing rocks at their sister.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's barrio music, the same old bachata on relay for the last 8 years as if they are new releases. This is how we can derive that for a nation of music lovers, they really know very little about music, quality, variety or ambience. To Dominicans music is a noise in the background they are brainwashed into knowing the words to, and they sing it today with the same emotion they did the first day it was released. Music value is barrio mentality no matter where you are, what class of company you are in.
I am switched off to it now, I don't even here the whining of bachata, the repeat of merengue, the predictability of salsa. Adventurous with music as they are with their diet, bland, same old same, every day with no interest of trying something new.

Mention trying something new and they will look at you like you just kicked their dog to death while throwing rocks at their sister.

actually, HUG, i agree with everything you say, except for the point where you say that music is a noise in the background. music is a noise in the foreground. my Canadian friend asked me if there is such a concept in the DR as background music, and, if there is, i am yet to hear it. music has to be played at volumes which defeat any attempt to converse.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Voodoo Lounge in Cabarete can have some more interesting DJ's spinning from time to time…often saturday nights.

As for Pure….ive never been treated badly there. I just find it has way too many men in :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I stand corrected. Agreed!

ever go into a quiet bar, with the intention of having a beverage and some conversation with your company? what happens? as soon as your arse hits the chair, some birdbrain barmaid torpedoes you with 120 decibels of Antony Santos, as if you asked for it. then, to add insult to injury, she asks if you are enjoying it.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's hard to put together "DJ" and "Good music" in the same sentence. Dembow, Reggeton and all those horrible things you listen time and time again are the local equivalent to the music played by DJs in the US, in my opinion. Crap.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's hard to put together "DJ" and "Good music" in the same sentence. Dembow, Reggeton and all those horrible things you listen time and time again are the local equivalent to the music played by DJs in the US, in my opinion. Crap.

there are good DJs out there, like Tiesto, and Sasha, and John Digweed, et al. they just don not play rubbish.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
actually, HUG, i agree with everything you say, except for the point where you say that music is a noise in the background. music is a noise in the foreground. my Canadian friend asked me if there is such a concept in the DR as background music, and, if there is, i am yet to hear it. music has to be played at volumes which defeat any attempt to converse.

Last year, a girlfriend and I, as a joke, started imitating Dominicans mannerisms while they sing example:
"anything' dios..throw both hands up while looking up
no no no...easy
close your eyes, touch your heart, etc...

I find that HILARIOUS (I must say i become very good at it, even better if I know the lyrics well :) )

I also look for new gestures when I see people singing and into it.

I am sorta of bachata mime artist ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
there are good DJs out there, like Tiesto, and Sasha, and John Digweed, et al. they just don not play rubbish.

Tiesto is not rubbish? I beg to differ.
Yes, I know they go GAGA over him, not my bag.
I can listen to DEEP HOUSE for hours, but Tiesto, no thanks.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You will get used to it. I am not even a music lover and I miss the variety but there are many more things in DR that will get you more upset I am sure :)
Welcome to Paradise. hehehehehehe

Nah!
I still hate it as much as the first time.

1000Watts of pure distortion playing Raggeton or whatever that hideous din is called then the standard Bachata/ merengue mix blasting my ears away whilst in competition with the next-door bar and a succession of passing morons in mobile noise machines.
Mention the word 'suave' in relation to noise and they look at you as though you have grown another pair of antennae.......!

Arrggh!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love reggaeton and dembow. this is welcomed change from bachata and merengue.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The discos on Cabarete beach offer some variety other than bachata. But then I didn't come here to listen to American guys shouting and swearing as a form of music.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Must be something wrong with me then because I love it.....No one even bothers to knock on my room door in the morning until they hear "Creiste" coming from my room and me screaming "TE EQUIVOCASTE!". I have one CD that a Dominican burned for me in Sajoma in 2007 and its like I just got it yesterday. I have my favorites and I loved being invited to get togethers because I'm sure I'll hear them all an average of 4 times each before I go home. And anytime in a taxi.....

The kids are more partial to the Reggaeton except little Victor who cannot go a day without bringing me the laptop to play, as he puts it "Bebeer mi beeya lalalala" (Marc Antony "Vivir mi vida")

I never get tired of the same bachata................

SHALENA