AMET director says ?parking agents? are illegal

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today?s El Dia, Thursday 16 January quotes the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) director as saying that the self-styled parking attendants who have forcefully privatized city streets by charging for the right to park there are illegal. General Juan Geronimo Brown Perez said that Law 241 says the practice is against the law. ?The issue of the parking agents is that they are violating Law 241. That law specifies that the practice is contrary to the law. It is not that we do not want them to work. It is that we cannot allow chaos in the country.? He said that AMET agents have arrested around 200 people for the practice. The parking agents intimidate drivers seeking to park on city streets near areas where events or activities are taking place to pay or risk damage to their vehicles. The practice has escalated to the point where these informal parking attendants are even issuing tickets and charging from RD$50 to RD$500 for the service.

Source: DR1, Eldia

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I couldn't resist a while ago to tell a guy who was asking me money that. He looked at me like if he saw water burning.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I used to regularly give 10 pesos to the one legged guy on the side street on the north side of the Nacional Supermarket in Santo Domingo.

He lived in Capotillo and was at work every day. He was murdered a few months ago. One of the baggers told me his brother killed him.

He had lost his leg from a gunshot wound. He was upbeat and worked hard at what he did.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
A friend of mine once refused to pay to park for the free concert on Sundays in the Colonial zone and his tires got slashed. Illegal or not it is still in your best interest to give the guy 10 pesos unless you live there and see these guys every day.

popvisitor.

Nov 14, 2013
Today’s El Dia, Thursday 16 January quotes the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) director as saying that the self-styled parking attendants who have forcefully privatized city streets by charging for the right to park there are illegal. General Juan Geronimo Brown Perez said that Law 241 says the practice is against the law. “The issue of the parking agents is that they are violating Law 241. That law specifies that the practice is contrary to the law. It is not that we do not want them to work. It is that we cannot allow chaos in the country.” He said that AMET agents have arrested around 200 people for the practice. The parking agents intimidate drivers seeking to park on city streets near areas where events or activities are taking place to pay or risk damage to their vehicles. The practice has escalated to the point where these informal parking attendants are even issuing tickets and charging from RD$50 to RD$500 for the service.

Source: DR1, Eldia

Why don't the AMET Agents just sweep these guys up and collect their pound of flesh?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A friend of mine once refused to pay to park for the free concert on Sundays in the Colonial zone and his tires got slashed. Illegal or not it is still in your best interest to give the guy 10 pesos unless you live there and see these guys every day.

Or chat with AMET about them and see if they can be made to go away once and for all.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's generally considered the norm up here, everywhere in the city where there may be a gathering of some sort, or a popular area. Even in a public area, I went to the Boathouse in Boca Chica last night and had to part with 50pesos for the luxury of parking outside. Every city/country I have parked in anywhere has actual parking meters or a toll booth, I have no issue with parting with 50pesos. And if they are watching my car, they are not breaking into my house.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The guys at the Charimicos end of Sosua Beach eke out a small living in this way. Your car will not be damaged or vandalized and they wash it for a few pesos more. In a country where there are no jobs you guys are very harsh. This is not New York. Leave these poor guys alone.Besides in a short time the new great beach plan will be in effect and everything will be just wonderful.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The guys at the Charimicos end of Sosua Beach eke out a small living in this way. Your car will not be damaged or vandalized and they wash it for a few pesos more. In a country where there are no jobs you guys are very harsh. This is not New York. Leave these poor guys alone.Besides in a short time the new great beach plan will be in effect and everything will be just wonderful.

They are not watching any cars. That's why they want to charge when you park and not when you leave, because they are not sure they will be around when you leave. How can you watch a car and not be around?.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They are not watching any cars. That's why they want to charge when you park and not when you leave, because they are not sure they will be around when you leave. How can you watch a car and not be around?.

Well that is the drivers fault, I pay the guys here to be sure my car is as was when I get back, and so I pay when I get back. If you pay before hand then you are silly, sorry, but that is illogical and a schoolboy error!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Well that is the drivers fault, I pay the guys here to be sure my car is as was when I get back, and so I pay when I get back. If you pay before hand then you are silly, sorry, but that is illogical and a schoolboy error!

I tell them they get half when I get there and half when I leave.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Ofcourse you shouldn't pay anything upfront if you plan on paying at all. They often say: bien cuidado ahi, jefe, to which I don't react or only say "'ta bien". Depending on my mood and if I have spare chance (20 or 25 pesos max) I give the something when I get back, but most of the times I take off without paying attention to the guy.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
It's generally considered the norm up here, everywhere in the city where there may be a gathering of some sort, or a popular area. Even in a public area, I went to the Boathouse in Boca Chica last night and had to part with 50pesos for the luxury of parking outside. Every city/country I have parked in anywhere has actual parking meters or a toll booth, I have no issue with parting with 50pesos. And if they are watching my car, they are not breaking into my house.
And you didn't say hi to me, not even a HUG? :ermm:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The parking guys at the Charimicos end scratch or a few pesos in a country where there is very little employment opportunities. When you pay the fee pesos they ask you are assured your car will not be vandalized or damaged. I usually have them wash it too. This is not New York. There are legitimate complaints about the DR but this is a good thing. Tipping someone to watch out for your car in a poor country is common. Iknow it's a public Street but these guys provide a service and are polite and responsible. I have seen them help motorists when their cars did not start
and even go for gas to give to AMET when they ran out. I doubt the traffic police will do anything to change the current situation. This is a good thing and I like it. Lets go back to complaining about the loud music coming from the bars at night and leave these guys alone.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Uhhh, bad, bad move. If you don't pay them upfront they assume you are not going to pay, and not only will not watch your car but they will also give your car the same treatment they give to non payers. If you then come back and pay you just waste your money.
If you pay them upfront at least you might get lucky and actually have you car watched or ignored. If they don't and your car gets vandalized or stolen, the 20 pesos you paid are going to be the least of your worries.

You know, one of the worse gringo mistakes is to think you can outsmart the tigres. You can't.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When I go to Boca Chica I always park with the same guy. He charges 50 pesos. When I get the car I give him 75 pesos and thank him for not stealing the car.

I'm thinking of taking the bus next time to get in touch with my inner sardine.