currencu

D

debbie

I am from Ontario Canada and have booked a vacation to Santo Domingo in March 2002. My question is can I exchange canadian currency to pesos once I get to the DR at a money exchange.
Some say canadian money is not well accepted. Thank you

C

chum

Hi Debbie,you can change your money right at Las Americas Airport (SDQ) I am also from Ontario Canada and this is the best way to change your CAN.dollars into D.R. pesos.It is best not to change it in Canada because of the rate of exchange. Bring a small amount of American ($20,00-40.00) dollars,I believe they still charge U.S.(10.00) at the airport upon your return to Toronto. Brian.

R

ricktoronto

Canadian to Canadian Currency Advice

As a fellow Canadian, banker and 6 time a year DR visitor, I strongly advise that you take US $ (cash if not a lot and you have a room safe, American Express Traveller's Cheques if a lot) and exchange $US--->$RDS.

Should get around 16.75 to 1 $US.

OK to use credit card for hotel though, I usually get almost the same rate with VISA for my hotel.

Our currency looks so much nicer than US though, you have to admit.

R

ricktoronto

Take US and not CDN and avoid airports

US$ to RD pesos will get the best rate and will be more familiar to the cambio staff and forget any booths at any airport (whether the airport at Las Americas or Toronto) as you get hosed.

Take US$ exchange at a cambio OUTSIDE your hotel bank/cambio where the rates are also pretty poor.

You will be safe going into town to do this.

The $10 US is a must to elave though I see AA takes pesos at the gat- 160 or 170 as I recall from August.

E

El Gordo

Never Had Any Problems With C$

Myself I can't see changing $$ twice to receive a 'better rate'.
Any time I've changed C$ in the DR the rate I received was fair.
I've never had any problem changing C$ in the DR maybe speaking some Spanish does help..
Of course being from the 'Center of the Universe' and a 'Banker' 'Rick' knows so much more than anyone else (!)

C

canadian traveller

Re: Never Had Any Problems With C$

I too, have never taken anything but Canadian funds to the D.R. I see no point in converting twice, why bother? The rate of exchange works out the same in the end anyway, any moneychanger will exchange it for you.You don't feel any pain while making the transaction, not like exchaging into American! Ouch, now that hurts!

A

aristoba

Re:problems With C$

well what ever you call "works out the same"
if you buy US$ in canada and buy the pesos here
you gain about 80 pesos per $100.
There is a french restaurent in Cabarete That will sell you a meal plus a glas of wine for about that money.
So while you might not see the point, many canadians do.

J

Julia

Re:no Problems With C$

Me I work in Dominican Republic every year and I am leaving in 3 weeks for the season and I never had problems with my canadian money, you can change your money at the hotel...The first time I went there, I changed my money in USD before I leave and I lost because I had to change again in RD Pesos!

D

Doug

Re:no Problems With C$

it's mch better to change it twice, i've been countless times and US is always better. What I do is phone the bank and ask how much for a hundred Cd they will tell you about.... lets just say 67 bucks US. Then phone western Union and ask what they'll give for 67 bucks US in the DR and what they will give for 100 cad in the dr, you'll find your ALWAYS better with US. But the answer to the persons question is No Canadien money is fine, I've seen ppl change it all the time and no problem. But you will do better with US.........Does that sound clear????

W

William Leslie

Re:no Problems With C$ (Chg to US)

If you will check the archives there was a very detailed explanation of why it is is definitely better to change Cdn to US before you come. Yes you do gain more pesos. I think Jim Hinch may have done the explanation about 3 months ago.
It does not work out the same as some of you have suggested.

L

Lyse

Re: Canadian to Canadian Currency Advice

At 157$CDN if not 158$ for 100$US is it still worth it???

D

Doug

Alawys...as long as your getting the current rate from a bank in Canada ....and changing it very soon you will always come out better with us

N

Nelly

Does anyone know the current rate of exchange for cdn $ to pesos?

C

canadian traveller

i must admit i never did well in math clas.... mabe someone can explain what i am doing wrong...
i take $100.00 cdn, i get $62.82 usd, i trade the us for pesos and get 1005.12rd.the exchange is 16.00... now i take $100.00 cdn, at an exchange of 10.40, does that not give me 1040.00 pesos? so, that would mean i get more for my canadian?

T

Tgf

One thing wrong with your equation is that you don't get 16 pesos to the US dollar, but rather around 17 pesos to the US dollar presently. That will make a difference favoring converting to US dollars prior to arriving in the DR.

C

canadian traveller

tgf, i took the rate of exchange off the internet, i too get more for my cdn, once i am there, so to me, still seems no sense to convert twice!

will be in the d.r for xmas, my 19th vacation there! am counting the days....yippie!

C

canadian traveller

alrighty, this was bugging me, so i just phoned my dad who lives in cabarete, he said you are only getting 10.25 for cnd. and 17.00 for usd. soooo, if my calculations were right, you are better off to exchange to usd. first! am happy to discover this after all this time....will buy me a few extra cervesas!

D

Doug

As always the case, I've never seen it better to take CAD....ever

M

mobrouser

ct, when you go to your bank to buy those $US, i bet you pay more than $1.59 (or whatever bay st. is quoting today) so don't forget to include your true cost of buying US$ in your calculations.