DR made the list again!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
DR is on the list of countries with the worst record of forcing early marriage.
1. Niger
2. Chad
3. Central African Republic
4. Bangladesh
5. Guinea
6. Mozambique
7. Mali
8. Burkina Faso
9. South Sudan
10. Malawi
11. Madagascar
12. Eritrea
13. India
14. Somalia
15. Sierra Leone
16. Zambia
17. Dominican Republic
18. Ethiopia
19. Nepal
20. Nicaragua
Source: UNICEF

Read more: Ethiopian former child bride tells her harrowing story | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.icrw.org/child-marriage-facts-and-figures

My daughter's sister moved together with a guy one month after she turned 14, she just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago and has already a 9 month old son.
How many girls I've seen here younger than 16 with children, it's very sad

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My daughter's sister moved together with a guy one month after she turned 14, she just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago and has already a 9 month old son.

Sad but your example sound different than forced/arranged marriage which I am quite familiar with. I could be wrong but I don't think girls in DR are married off by their parents with no options to return home.

I wouldn't wish either on my daughter but it is different.

Jun 18, 2007
Sad but your example sound different than forced/arranged marriage which I am quite familiar with. I could be wrong but I don't think girls in DR are married off by their parents with no options to return home.

I wouldn't wish either on my daughter but it is different.

You're right she wasn't forced to "marry", she had her mom's consent because it was the will of God.
Here it's not forced but more like it's stimulated. :ermm:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Whoever conducted this study doesn't know the first thing about DR, or Latin America for that matter.
Forced early marriages are not a problem here for two main reason that anybody who's been here long enough knows very well:
1) Teens don't get married. They just move in together, just like adults do
2) Teens do this by their own will, and almost always against their parents' will.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Whoever conducted this study doesn't know the first thing about DR, or Latin America for that matter.
Forced early marriages are not a problem here for two main reason that anybody who's been here long enough knows very well:
2) Teens do this by their own will, and almost always against their parents' will.

In their defense: Child marriage prevalence is defined as the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before age 18 (from the study)

More understandable to see the DR but I just think a distinction should be made when it is initiated or forced by parents.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hey frank recktenwald
This report is false because in this country it is illegal for an adult to have sex with an under age person even if that person has had kids or have been living with an adult. The law in this country states that if adult over the age of 18theen has sex with an under age girl even if that girl had already giving birth to a child he can be sentence to prison even if the girl parents consented, so whoever made that report had not read our laws regarding having sex with under age kids.

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
Atleast they are married. In the US they just get knocked up.

DR is on the list of countries with the worst record of forcing early marriage.
1. Niger
2. Chad
3. Central African Republic
4. Bangladesh
5. Guinea
6. Mozambique
7. Mali
8. Burkina Faso
9. South Sudan
10. Malawi
11. Madagascar
12. Eritrea
13. India
14. Somalia
15. Sierra Leone
16. Zambia
17. Dominican Republic
18. Ethiopia
19. Nepal
20. Nicaragua
Source: UNICEF

Read more: Ethiopian former child bride tells her harrowing story | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Child Marriage Facts and Figures | ICRW

------------------------------------------------------
I used to live in Allentown, PA and they have a fully functional day care center in the local high school. All I would see is literally hundreds of high school girls pushing strollers on their way to school.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lots of teens here get prego and start living with older men. but they do not get married, really, even if they refer to their partners as esposo/marido. what kind of criteria went into making this list? the number of teen pregnancies? this is no way indicates early marriage. statistics from JCE? you are not legally allowed to marry before 18. church records? again, you cannot legally marry before 18 years of age so this would have no relevance.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Hey frank recktenwald
This report is false because in this country it is illegal for an adult to have sex with an under age person even if that person has had kids or have been living with an adult. The law in this country states that if adult over the age of 18theen has sex with an under age girl even if that girl had already giving birth to a child he can be sentence to prison even if the girl parents consented, so whoever made that report had not read our laws regarding having sex with under age kids.

Who ever made the laws on this is even more stupid. You can be married at 14 yet not have sex till 18.

On another note about child pregnancies. I am sure here in the capital there are many, but not as prevalent as I notice on the Northcoast. Maybe it is just me, but I notice young mums much more down there.

I remember a 30 something mum on the beach one day down by blackbeards, very vocally proud that she was about to become a grandmother. Then her daughter turned up and she was even more proud to parade her about so everyone knew she was due. Her daughter was 10 year old. My friend had to pick my jaw off the ground for me, I was emotionally stunned. I genuinely wonder whatever became of that child, the older one, not the newborn. What life can they have ahead with parental care like this. She'll be 18 now,.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
... and so the girls no longer have their innocence - they begin the struggle of every day life, so incredibly sad, how to put food in the mouths of the kid(s), hook up with someone else hoping that they will help them only to find themselves with yet another kid ... and so it goes on... education is what these girls need, they really could have a better life with just a small amount and of course a different perception on life!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
As far as forced marriage goes, mostly marriage is a concept, even people who you might presume are married because they have been living together for 10 years, have three kids and refer to each other as husband and wife are more than often not a registered married couple. According to this concept I have about three wives here, all of whom I slept with more than twice and bought a Big Mac, since that Mcdonalds they have referred to me as their husband.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hey frank recktenwald

Your kidding right???

Jun 18, 2007
Hey frank recktenwald

Hey Bernie,
Come on get your head out of the sand!. You're Dominican, you know how it is here!
Yes it's against the law so what? Does the law do something about it? Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do the parents do something about it? Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
A minor can get married if they have the parents consent. He/she becomes a "Menor Emancipado".

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Castle a piece of paper does not make you a married couple. A 14 yr old girl can perform all the tasks of a wife sex, cleaning, cooking, having children etc. If you look at the list of countries they do not need a piece of paper registered any where stating they are man and wife.

A older Dominican man living with a 16 yr old girl in the campo and acting like she is a wife, is far more important then any piece of paper.

Those nice pieces of paper you get when you marry in the DR are far more important to"gringos" then Dominicans, because Dominicans can marry without having a paper with " Extracto de Acta de Matrimonio" on the top.

I think getting married in some parts of the world is as easy as taking a girl from her home and having sex with her and 9 months later she is a new mom.

Sorry Castle but DR is not immune to this.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Yeah, most parents actually dread this!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hey frank recktenwald

It does happen often! Yeah, the man is accused of "seducci?n de menores". He is usually taken to court and even to jail. But these cases usually end up in a monetary agreement.