Sosua Beach Music

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the singer in the last video had a harsh voice.

I think you will enjoy this one much more

[video=youtube;58TYPR6DWR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TYPR6DWR4[/video]

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Wonderful! Thanks. I will look for these guys. I hope they make enough pesos to continue bringing this music to the beach.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wonderful! Thanks. I will look for these guys. I hope they make enough pesos to continue bringing this music to the beach.

They are part of a group of 4, Grupo Sosua Colibri. I've posted a video of the group and will be posting another later today.

I've been told that Jose also sings Malaguena Salarosa very well. I plan to record that next time.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, the singer in the last video had a harsh voice.

I think you will enjoy this one much more

[video=youtube;58TYPR6DWR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TYPR6DWR4[/video]

what did you record this on? the audio is pretty decent!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
what did you record this on? the audio is pretty decent!

I have a consumer grade video camera and currently using the microphone on it. I have ordered a microphone and hope to try it out this weekend.

The acoustics at the beach are not made for recording singing, but it helped to get closer to them. i just posted another of the full group of 4 and had them stand closer together than when I did the first videos of the group, and also stood closer to them, getting just the upper body. That helped, at least with the volume.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have a consumer grade video camera and currently using the microphone on it. I have ordered a microphone and hope to try it out this weekend.

The acoustics at the beach are not made for recording singing, but it helped to get closer to them. i just posted another of the full group of 4 and had them stand closer together than when I did the first videos of the group, and also stood closer to them, getting just the upper body. That helped, at least with the volume.

i was just commenting on the tones of the instruments. the sound of the pen on the grater thing around 1.35 sounds really correct.

May 29, 2006
The grater thing is called a guira. They used to be made from gourds with notches cut into the sides.

May 29, 2006
Voy P'alla was the first bachata played on Dominican radio. It was done as a merengue cover with a female singer and when it became popular the bachata version of it took off.

Does anyone know what persiana means? Shutter?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Voy P'alla was the first bachata played on Dominican radio. It was done as a merengue cover with a female singer and when it became popular the bachata version of it took off.

venetian blinds, i think.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Venetian blinds, slatted shutters. The old style windows that I have, the kind where you turn the handle and a number of sections of glass open up, are also called persianas. I insist on keeping those windows because it is possible to keep them partly open on rainy days.

May 29, 2006
It must have been something that used to open like a door or be unbolted 20 something years ago when the song was written. The meaning I got was the girl was suppose to unlock her windows so she could elope.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It must have been something that used to open like a door or be unbolted 20 something years ago when the song was written. The meaning I got was the girl was suppose to unlock her windows so she could elope.

The dictionary definition not always the same as how a word is used here. You are probably right.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i was just commenting on the tones of the instruments. the sound of the pen on the grater thing around 1.35 sounds really correct.

I don't understand. What sort of measurement is that and how is it obtained? How are you able to pick out a single sound and attach a value to it? Are there instruments you use to get these measurements?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't understand. What sort of measurement is that and how is it obtained? How are you able to pick out a single sound and attach a value to it? Are there instruments you use to get these measurements?

i have been around sound reproduction for over 50 years. i have been to innumerable live concerts, and i know how instruments sound. what you have posted sounds accurate, because it has not been doctored and compressed in a studio..

measurements don't tell the true story. you can build an amplifier circuit, crank in horrendous amounts of feedback, and it will measure wonderfully on an oscilloscope. it might sound like crap, though.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Not even close...Bachata had been on the radio for decades before that. Ever heard of Eladio Romero Santos, Aridia Ventura, Marino Perez, Ramon Cordero, Luis Segura, Leonardo Paniagua, Juan Bautista, etc...heck even Blas Duran was before that time...

Here's a sample of old bachatas sang by the some of the guys that started the whole thing back in the 60's / 70's.

[video=youtube_share;Nda79tnvx88]http://youtu.be/Nda79tnvx88[/video]

May 29, 2006
I know Bachata goes way back before Santos, but getting radio play was different because many of the older Bachata songs were sexually suggestive, usually using some metaphor about food. Santos and later Raulin started a new wave with more romantic songs of bitterness. My Spanish isn't that great, but a song about "sucking the seed" is pretty obviously not just about some mango..

[video=youtube;L_M2uHQ3fqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_M2uHQ3fqw[/video]