property search

cwillfong

Jan 22, 2014
We are looking to purchase a foreign property and will require financing. Being from Canada we can not get financing for foreign properties through our banks. Is there anywhere that will give financing to canadians to purchase a property close to the beach in a safe area?

Please respond asap with

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wud, I think he means Canadian banks will not lend money to purchase in DR - I presume he's asking for financing info in DR.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Option #1, Rent for a while, take out a home equity loan and/or a personal loan in Canada and purchase

Option #2, Rent for a while, open a bank account in the DR, establish credit, get a mortgage with a lot down and high interest

Option #3, Rent for a while, find a property with an owner who is willing to do a rent to own program, get a GOOD lawyer

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Option #4. Rent, and keep renting, save yourself the pain of not being able to sell in a few years as your dreams and goals in life, and experiences here change what it is exactly you are looking for. Renting here is cheap, I do not see the attraction in buying in a place so randomly changing year after year.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We are looking to purchase a foreign property and will require financing. Being from Canada we can not get financing for foreign properties through our banks. Is there anywhere that will give financing to canadians to purchase a property close to the beach in a safe area?

Please respond asap with

If you are not going to relocate to the DR or use the apartment for a least 6 months of the year than don't buy. Where are you looking? Yes you can get a mortgage in the DR as long as you have the income and assets in Canada to make the payments. Are you looking with the assistance of a realtor? If you still want to buy he can probably steer you to a couple banks. Banco Popular or Scotia Bank may be options. Before I went that route I would consider borrowing against a home you may own in Canada. Can you get a home equity loan or 1st or 2nd mortgage. In the DR you will pay about 8% interest. I am not sure exactly what the term is. You have to be concerned, when buying, the security aspect of the property. If this is a free standing home and you are not there then that opens up a can of worms. If you are buying in a condo complex you will have to pay monthly maintenance fees. Where exactly are you looking? That means a great deal in the DR. Good luck

colonial

Feb 11, 2013
Canadian Bank Scotiabank DR is here and will lend upwards of 20 years with 30% down if you purchase in a tourist region. You need to have great credit in Canada and show ability to meet the loan obligation. The rates will be between 8% and 10% and yes they will fix them for you. That said, I agree with LTSteve, rent first to be certain you like it here and like the area you move to. Good luck

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your other option if you own a house in Canada and have a large equity in it, take out a secured line of credit against the equity on your property in Canada - your interest rate will be prime or close to instead of the 11-12% you'll get here.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
All of the above, plus being an owner of a property here, my personal opinion would be rent! Even if you are planning to live here, there are lots of options, in many areas. Rent, Rent, Rent!