mob robs old warehouse in la romana

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Multitud asalta almac?n del INVI en La Romana - DiarioLibre.com

this almacen stored materials since 2004, hippo's government, originally meant to be used on one of the government sponsored housing projects. the mob forced the door and carried the materials including sheets of zinc, wood and... toilets.

sadly, no photos of revolutionary running with dusty porcelain toilets in their arms ;)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Maybe they figured ten years was the statute of limitations on warehoused people's property and they became pro-active and liberated it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Sorry to hijack, but in same spirit, a couple of weeks ago here in campo, people organise themselves and took over unused field of a finca. Everyone cordons off a small plot and plants vegetables and so........ Happened a couple of years ago too, police were round, took everyone to fiscaleria ( I think), some were put in jail, but in theend everyone got to keep the land......

I kind of understand, these big landowners own lots of land and some of it was acquired under suspicious circumstances "back in the old days", and so for the pueblo to take some back is not a bad thing.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sorry to hijack, but in same spirit, a couple of weeks ago here in campo, people organise themselves and took over unused field of a finca. Everyone cordons off a small plot and plants vegetables and so........ Happened a couple of years ago too, police were round, took everyone to fiscaleria ( I think), some were put in jail, but in theend everyone got to keep the land......

I kind of understand, these big landowners own lots of land and some of it was acquired under suspicious circumstances "back in the old days", and so for the pueblo to take some back is not a bad thing.

No, it might sound like social justice, but rule of law is more important.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Taking other peoples land is quite normal here.. How can this be a good idea??
If you own land here you really have to close it up and constantly watch your land. If somebody suddenly ?move? into your land it will cost you a fortune to get the people out again. They are able to build a house ( or a shack) in one single night and you are screwed.
Normally they start with some vegetables, then some chickens, then the pigs and the cows and suddenly there is a house too.. It is a political problem and you have to pay (a lot) to get the people out ..
I might well feel sorry for people who have nothing , however you cannot just take something that does not belong to you.. And not all land is owned by ?suspicious landowners? .. All the borders of the rivers were once taken in this same way. Poor people living along the river, throwing all their garbage into the river and when a flood comes and takes their shack, they claim a new house from the authorities. And it is politics.. Nobody wants to make the decision to move the people, because they loose votes.. And the law.. What law??? Nobody cares about laws here..

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The two sides of a coin. I agree. But I have also noticed a few families in my campo who own like 90% of the land,and cable TV serviceand petrol station and colmados and ferraterias........ They travel back and forth from the USa, come over on holiday to switzerland.....And I am sure they have other buissnes in big towns.
One guy, big landowner, is an acquaintance of mine, nice person, very rich but helps out in the communitie a lot. He has never had any problem like this.
Another one I know ( I should say the other one ), a real a$$hole and showoff, very condescending. It was his field in question. Hahahahaha.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Taking other peoples land is quite normal here.. How can this be a good idea??
If you own land here you really have to close it up and constantly watch your land. If somebody suddenly “move” into your land it will cost you a fortune to get the people out again. They are able to build a house ( or a shack) in one single night and you are screwed.
Normally they start with some vegetables, then some chickens, then the pigs and the cows and suddenly there is a house too.. It is a political problem and you have to pay (a lot) to get the people out ..
I might well feel sorry for people who have nothing , however you cannot just take something that does not belong to you.. And not all land is owned by “suspicious landowners” .. All the borders of the rivers were once taken in this same way. Poor people living along the river, throwing all their garbage into the river and when a flood comes and takes their shack, they claim a new house from the authorities. And it is politics.. Nobody wants to make the decision to move the people, because they loose votes.. And the law.. What law??? Nobody cares about laws here..

Laws are disregarded at times, as they are everywhere, UTOPIA is a dream..not a reality.
Enjoy the ride.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
And if you own a lot, you should be careful to let somebody plant his vegetables on your lot.. It seems harmless and you just want to help… Nevertheless you can have quite a problem here if you need your land in a few years.
If the vegetables have grown to a decent size and the harvest is near, the law is saying, that you have to wait until the guy has taken his fruits and vegetables.. Then you wait and wait and you wait forever.. Without you noticing they plant smaller plants between the big ones - so when they pick their fruits and vegetables, there are still some too big for you to cut them down. And so they can go on forever..
So you do the best to help a poor man - in the end it might well cost you a huge headache and quite an amount of money to get your land back. I know that from experience…

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we talked about this many times, it does not matter how rich the owner of the land is, it's still his property. it does not matter if the owner is obnoxious asshole, it's still his property.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
To Malko: This rich and respected person you mentioned is properly a person with influence and nobody dare to invade his land. He might have good connections and everybody know they would only last half an hour on his land.. The other guy - the bad guy - might not have the same connections and not the same position in the area and therefore they are less afraid of him.. It is only a guess off course.
But good or bad - if you own the land the law should protect you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the thing is an act like this looks oh so great because the items were being wasted, blah blah, and the goods belonged to the government which means to no one. people need to understand that what belongs to the government belongs to everyone. they are practically robbing each other, robbing themselves. it's the same with power: one does not steal the power from some abstract entity, one steals power from everyone in the country.

and yeah, i am pretty sure that people will b**ch back that the government gives nothing back. oh really? what about free public hospital care? free public schools? subsidized power/water in some areas? tarjetas de solidaridad? comedores economicos?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I wanted to "HELP" when I first arrived here as a visitor 28 years ago.
I STILL wanted to "HELP" when I moved here permanently 18 years ago.
I STILL want to "HELP" to this VERY DAY!
Except I started "HELPING" ONLY myself, about 15 years ago!!!!!
I got tired of "RELEARNING", that, "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"!!!!!
"Let Them EAT CAKE"!!!!!!
"Joni Cake"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Hahaha. A year ago i thought a couple of yall were just grumpy old men or women as the case may be. However I am quick learner.

Nothing here is safe from thieves. Kind of like road signs and manhole covers. They are there to help the people, but instead they are stolen and sold to help the people. If I have one strength, it is problem solving skills. But honestly i dont think it is possible to solve the problems here.

I blame all the woes of latin america on the spanish and the catholic church and their lack of administration and centralized power. The british and the romans were experts at administration. They would conquer then turn over the power to the locals and then tax them. But all was done in order to facilitate trade and protect trade routes. Brilliant. The spanish raped and pillaged in the name of Christ with the blessing of the catholic church. All for gold. Neither had any concern for long term trade or administration. Dont misread me, iam not saying the brits or the romans were without fault but one cannot argue with the results. A tiny little island off the coast of europe for a long period of time was the most powerful nation on earth. Their legacy is that english is the universal language of business. Go anywhere in the world and pay attention. You will see italians and germans speaking to one another in english. You will see arabs and russians speaking to one another in english. This is repeated all over the world every day.

Sorry. ADD/ADHD.
Guess i meanderd away from the topic. Sue me.