hair dressers :)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I just went to the hairdresser (which I needed urgently) in Sosua.
And I just wanted to tell each time I go to the HD here in the DR, I think they make a very fine job
In f.. France (when I f... come from), same think will cost you about 20 f.. euros. You'll get your hair cut and then you can get lost.
But here, its obvious the guy is at doing his best. He cuts the hair, then puts some kind of cosmetics on it, then cuts again to make it neater, then he comes with the razor. It's all of a process FOR 3 EUROS!!!!
He is nice and smiling...

Also in France, you always get hair which goes in your shirt and then you must go and take a shower right away. Here you get none...

So thumbs up for the DR hairdressers. The french ones, with all their fancy BS, should come here and train...
:)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Depends cos in france you have these chains of hairdressers where I agree it is a rip off...... but u also still have some local hairdressers self employed whk do a very fine job ( and u dont get hair in ure shirt..... )

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Male or female? For that price I assume you're a man. I wouldn't let anyone touch my hair just for 20 Euros. When your face is already ugly you don't want anyone framing it the wrong(er) way.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Barberia or salon. Im confused. But i do love DR haircuts. Even if i have to suffer through 500 decibel bachata. They trim ur eyebrows. Who really wants eyebrows you have to comb? And i like the straight blade shave too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hair dressers here take incredibly long time to do anything. and it's not like the hairstyle of a typical dominican male is anything special, short hair, cut with a machine, should take 5 minutes. and yes, there is eyebrow trimming (my dad would love that). i take your word that they do a good job, miesposo is nearly bald, that cannot be f**ked up :) :) :)

but as a woman i hate trips to the salon. what a waste of time. blow dry is particularly dreary, with those damn blowers being set to the temperature that melts my scalp off. i avoid them as much as possible. out of desperation i started cutting my own hair. with office scissors. i do pony tail and then happily cut few centimeters off the end. not that anyone will know, i wear my hair up all the time.

the attention given to hair here is puzzling.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Thats exactly what I meant. When I go to the hairdresser, I ask to cut everything with machine... Like they would do in the army.
So its basicly done in 3 or 4 minutes but then you really can see and feel that they want to do the best they can

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
DV8. I think going to the salon is a social event here. Barber shops in America used to be like that as well. Also since labor is dirt cheap it is one thing that most dominicans afford. Nice clothes, shoes watches etc not so much. Ocd and other psychologicol things are at play as well.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
hair dressers here take incredibly long time to do anything. and it's not like the hairstyle of a typical dominican male is anything special, short hair, cut with a machine, should take 5 minutes. and yes, there is eyebrow trimming (my dad would love that). i take your word that they do a good job, miesposo is nearly bald, that cannot be f**ked up :) :) :)

but as a woman i hate trips to the salon. what a waste of time. blow dry is particularly dreary, with those damn blowers being set to the temperature that melts my scalp off. i avoid them as much as possible. out of desperation i started cutting my own hair. with office scissors. i do pony tail and then happily cut few centimeters off the end. not that anyone will know, i wear my hair up all the time.

the attention given to hair here is puzzling.

I hear you. Going to the salon is a waste of time for me. I sit there for hours and end up tying
my hair in a ponytail or with barrettes. If I let my hair loose, I start to sweat and it runs down
the back of my neck.The high humidity ruins my hair style.

I don't see how the majority of the women are able to walk around with their hair loose. I guess
they're used to it.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Thats why they wear those hair net things. Get with the program girls. Hahahaha. Buy a hair net thing and wear it 24/7. Makes total sense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the hair net is for something else. it's used after the salon and the hair underneath is wrapped around the head and held to the scalp using about 50 pinchos. you wear that all day and then take the net, take the pinchos and voila, instant salon hair. it has nothing to do with keeping hair off the face and the heat, really. that's not the purpose.

Aug 6, 2006
I avoid Hair Cuttery and other mall operations. They do not do as good a job as the Dominicana at the barber shop down the street, and it costs less, too. Dominicans are by far better with hair than Americans. Most Latinos are. Italian barbers are the best among Americans, in my opinion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm with dv8. For years we were wholesale salon product suppliers, and 90% of our customers were Dominican salons. Over time I tried several of them, and I was never happy with my hair, and the fire-torch blowers they use are not made for my fine/thin hair, I thought I would die or burst into flames. I would actually see SMOKE coming off the hair.

I wash my hair every morning, and let it dry naturally 95% of the time. If it's hot, it goes into a jaw clip or a ponytail, ala dv8.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
the hair net is for something else. it's used after the salon and the hair underneath is wrapped around the head and held to the scalp using about 50 pinchos. you wear that all day and then take the net, take the pinchos and voila, instant salon hair. it has nothing to do with keeping hair off the face and the heat, really. that's not the purpose.

The ubiquitous tubi:
[video=youtube;K3skQDik2AM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3skQDik2AM[/video]

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Many women say that going to the salon is relaxing....I disagree. I hate sitting there and what is worse is if I have to participate in small talk. The lady I go to knows that I want my hair needs done in record time and absolutely no small talk.

Aug 6, 2006
Tubes are okay as tools, but I agree they are truly ugly when worn in public, though do's with tinfoil are even worse. The absolute UGLIEST hairstyles I have ever seen in one place were in the film Winnie Mandela. I am sure that they were accurate for the period, but I felt sorry for poor Jennifer Hudson who had to wear such grotesque hairdos. It was not a bad film. It SEEMS to be accurate, but I am not an expert on South African politics.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Many women say that going to the salon is relaxing....I disagree. I hate sitting there and what is worse is if I have to participate in small talk. The lady I go to knows that I want my hair needs done in record time and absolutely no small talk.

i'm with you. i go to the salon to do hair. keep your moth sealed and get on with the job. not interested in any talking here. my dominican family does not understand how can i dye my own hair. it takes me 30 minutes: application, waiting, rinse. in a salon? minimum 3 hours. hell no. and they messed up my blonde attempt in a bad way.

i googled this winnie mandela person and jennifer hudson playing her. i see mostly hats and scarfs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hate the salon, even though I get my barnet trimmed by the same stylist who does the hair of the-devil-wears-Prada lady.