Diesel workshop

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Can anyone really recommend a good workshop to rebuild my Mitsubishi 2.5T diesel engine?
Anywhere in the country, I don't mind.
Is it even possible to get a proper job done or should I get a used engine?
New is out of the question.They ask silly money.

I'm fed up of half-finished jobs and more faults than I started with from most places I've tried. The car is still good but the engine is a bit tired now.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The norm in DR is to install an used engine. Parts used for rebuilding are not generally of the same quality as the ones inside an original engine, even if used. Sometimes an used part is even more expensive than a new "original" part. It's that bad.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Engine Exchange

The norm in DR is to install an used engine.

There are lots of importers of used engines around the Santiago/Moca area.
You'll be surprised by the large inventory they have.
Have your engine exchanged there on the spot.

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From my experience having numerous engineering friends that have Mitsubishi diesel pickups they can be rebuilt adequately for around RD60k. There is a reputable mechanic in Sosua that can do this. BTW, a good rebuild job generally entails re-sleeving the block and turning the crank, reseating the valves and changing the guides, etc.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks guys.
Can you give me connections to the guy in Sosua and the source for used engines por favor?

I used to run a garage so have a fairly good idea of what's needed and what can go wrong. Just need someone reliable.
with the correct kit and genuine spares or a decent replacement engine.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Repair or Exchange?

.... the source for used engines por favor?

Oh, there are so many.

Try these:

- Espaillat Piezas, Moca
- Danilo Hiraldo, Santiago
- Samoli, Santiago
- Repuestos Ramirez, Santiago
- Asari, Santiago
- Nakai Motors, S.D.
- Pueblo Import, S.D.
- Ulloa Import, SFdM

"Diesel de Santo Domingo" and "Bruno Diesel" are renowned workshops.

donP

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Victor in POP does a great job. Pulled the motor. Striped it down. Replaced timing belt and injectors. Very, very reasonable price. Runs like new.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Are you talking about the Russian Victor up the hill on Camino Llibere in Sosua or another Victor somewhere in Puerto Plata?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Victor is a great mechanic. And he is up the hill (and make a left) on the street opposite the Texaco station in Sosua. I have his number if you want it.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
All I know, is that if Victor can't fix it or make it, your in trouble. H e really is a great mec. He has kept my truck running for years. Word of advice, don't ride with his wife. I think she you'd to drive in NASCAR.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Victor is a great mechanic. And he is up the hill (and make a left) on the street opposite the Texaco station in Sosua. I have his number if you want it.

Yes please.
Belts and injectors I can do myself but a rebuild,( resleeve, re-grind, head planing etc.) will need more extensive tooling than my tool box. Is his workshop well equipped , do you know?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Oh, there are so many.

Try these:

- Espaillat Piezas, Moca
- Danilo Hiraldo, Santiago
- Samoli, Santiago
- Repuestos Ramirez, Santiago
- Asari, Santiago
- Nakai Motors, S.D.
- Pueblo Import, S.D.
- Ulloa Import, SFdM

"Diesel de Santo Domingo" and "Bruno Diesel" are renowned workshops.

donP

I'll be calling tomorrow, thanks.
Do you have any idea which ones would be the best to start with? Sometimes getting correct information by phone here can be daunting.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Engine Replacement

Do you have any idea which ones would be the best to start with? Sometimes getting correct information by phone here can be daunting.

Calling them on the phone is only good to find out whether they have the engine you need.
Then you have to go to the places where they have more than one.

Some offer to put it in your car to try it out and replace it with another one in case you are not satisfied.
All the engines have an unknown past, you'd want to take an experienced mechanic with you.

donP