illegal AMET tow

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I have heard of these, but after nearly 8 years on the island, this is the first one I have witnessed. I'm just chilling at a bar on a slow work day with my laptop. AMET hooks up a car. No big deal, I'm not paying much attention.

The owner gets back and starts to ask what is wrong. They say you can't park on this side of this street. Well, I know this and most of us who know this street do know it, but...The owner says why not. There is no sign and the curb is not painted yellow. How does anyone know they aren't supposed to park here. AMET says everyone knows.

But, really? Everyone, especially a tourist who has never been here before. How can you know if there are no markings? So he takes pictures of the street and his car getting hooked up and the curb and goes on about his business calling a friend I guess.

On top of this there was a motorcycle parked at the very end of the street much in front of the other guy's car and AMET just let him move so they could hook the car up. Upon looking I saw that this part of the curb was actually yellow so they should have taken/ticketed the motorcycle but they just let him go. So I asked about it and the AMET guy said the car is bigger so it is more important to have it moved. I said the car doesn't appear to be illegal but if it is then certainly the motorcycle was so you shouldn't take the car without at least taking the motorcycle also because that is definitely bias. He said he was just doing his job and I said you aren't doing it very well and walked off.

No need for me getting mad over this as I don't even know the owner of the car but it certainly seemed illegal and shady to me. I'd be taking my pictures to Puerto Plata and would have taken pictures of the AMET uniforms (names/badges) too but I don't think he did that.

Best of luck to the guy but I suspect he is unfortunately going to end up paying the illegal ticket to get his car back and just go on about his business p***ed off.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
YEah, the do whatever they want. I once turned left on an intersection with a traffic light. They stopped me and said I couldn't turn there. I asked them to show me the sign, he said it is there, I was sure it wasn't. A hundred meter in front of me there was another traffic light just turning green. The Amet went to stop another car who also turned left and told me to wait. The green light was calling me and I took off. I admit that I didn't dare to pass that intersection for a few weeks after that.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Usually the complaints I hear turn out to be a gringo who really did something wrong and was upset about the ticket but at the end of the day he/she did the wrong thing. I do know they ask for donations which I always refused to pay when I had a car. All my stuff was legit so I didn't worry about it and I always drove with a camera just in case. But this is the first time I actually witnessed them doing something completely illegal and the gringo in this case was 100% right. Not to mention they let the motoconcho go and he was 100% wrong.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Well, they never do this with new Land Cruiser 200 or Lexus LX570, because 99% chance that it's a jeepeta of politico/hi rank policia/amigo de Presidente de la Republica/etc. On the other hand, the chance to be killed in order to steal your new Lexus is much higher than if you drive Mitsubishi Lancer. So you decide what car you drive and how are you profiled here.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
But actually think about it, if they take the car from someone they are going to get their money for the fine, if they take the motor from a motochoncho their family doesnt eat for a week so what is the point... Start thinking like a dominican and the life here is a lot simplier....

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't get the AMET.

Sometimes I've found them helpful and understanding and at other times the exact opposite.
They make up and enforce or not, the rules as the feel like. I usually have a reasonable rapport with them but sometimes I would just like to.....
It doesn't seem to be always about the 'pocket money', it could be may be whether they've had a good day or not..

The females, as in many situations of female un-fettled power, are always the worst!

(That also seems to apply world-wide in Customs, banks,Gov. offices, ED Norte,Security and so forth..)