Dominican Republic Stands Out

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic Stands Out Among Travel Elite In 2013 Rankings

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The ballots are in and Dominican Republic has once again ranked as one of the top vacation destinations in the Caribbean. Astute travelers and tourism professionals recognized the country not only for its diverse destinations and unique splendors, but also for its signature hospitality. It's easy to see how the majestic island nation is on track to achieve record tourism numbers once again as it offers a variety of exciting experiences for every type of traveler.

"We are honored to be recognized by well-respected industry experts and publications," said Magaly Toribio, Marketing Advisor for the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism. "Dominican Republic is one of the most historic and culturally rich destinations in the Caribbean and earning such accolades validates the effort of our tourism industry who invest in making the country an attractive vacation choice."

Some of Dominican Republic's top honors for 2013 included:

Click here to read full article at source:

Dominican Republic Stands Out Among Travel Elite In 2013 Rankings -- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
tHE WHOLE PIECE IS just a bought and paid for, press release, made by and for the DR!
Always look at the "source", and then the "AGENDA"!!!!!!!!!!
SCROLL TO THE END OF THE POST, LOOK AT THE "sOURCE",...."WOW", the Dominican Dept. of Tourism"!!!!!!

"Who Knew"???????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Public Relations Article

"Dominican Republic is one of the top ten destinations among Hispanic travelers in the U.S. ...."

Now, isn't that surprising.... :cheeky:

They probably also counted the repatriated ex-prisoners (3,874 in 2013)...... :rolleyes:

PR= You pay, they lie for you.

donP

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I originally came because it was the cheapest place I could go. I loved it, my 5 friends did not...never came back.

I love that part about Eco- Friendly. I am sorry, it amazes me how unfriendly to the environment this country is.

The DR does have some lovely AI's.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This country still produces some of the sweetest berries known to mankind.

I agree! Them berries are sweeeeeet!

Brugal-Imported-Rum-Boat.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hahahahahahaha..... I m sure a couple of purple croonies belive in it.
Long live the dr tourisim!!!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I love that part about Eco- Friendly. I am sorry, it amazes me how unfriendly to the environment this country is.

Hopefully on the mend. I was sat at one of the nicest seats in a santo domingo restaurant the other day, that is always blown to bits by the amount of plastic cups, bottles and foam that floats right underneath your feet as you try to ignore it while eating and gazing into the horizon, Adrian Tropical. We sat for a moment and were chatting away and then I became aware I could not see any plastic in the ocean. Usually there is a bed of about 20 meters of the stuff. I go there once a week and so have become hardened to it, but very pleasant to see something has been happening. What, I do not know. Does anyone know of a coastal clean up?

Is that a hijack?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Hopefully on the mend. I was sat at one of the nicest seats in a santo domingo restaurant the other day, that is always blown to bits by the amount of plastic cups, bottles and foam that floats right underneath your feet as you try to ignore it while eating and gazing into the horizon, Adrian Tropical. We sat for a moment and were chatting away and then I became aware I could not see any plastic in the ocean. Usually there is a bed of about 20 meters of the stuff. I go there once a week and so have become hardened to it, but very pleasant to see something has been happening. What, I do not know. Does anyone know of a coastal clean up?

Is that a hijack?

May be, I am talking more on the overall attitude about their ecology. For such a beautiful country, most people really don't seem to give a poop about just blatantly throwing garbage around. I saw a car on the side of the road yesterday, changing his oil....he was just letting the old oil run into the gutter. I walk by that mess and a large truck goes by and blasts me with exhaust that made me cough in the cloud. Maybe SD is making strides but I have not seen it in Sosua....just look at the beach at the end of the day of a holiday.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And of course people washing their jipeta in the river........

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
This is a lovely place with very friendly people but it will take a few lifetimes
to even begin putting a dent into all the work that needs to be done.

e.g recycling, electricity, water, corruption

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
2013 CIA World Fact Book:

Transnational Issues ::Dominican Republic

Disputes - international:

Haitian migrants cross the porous border into the Dominican Republic to find work; illegal migrants from the Dominican Republic cross the Mona Passage each year to Puerto Rico to find better work

Illicit drugs:

transshipment point for South American drugs destined for the US and Europe; has become a transshipment point for ecstasy from the Netherlands and Belgium destined for US and Canada; substantial money laundering activity in particular by Colombian narcotics traffickers; significant amphetamine consumption (2008)

[video=youtube;zZHtF2T7sEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZHtF2T7sEU[/video]

donP

Dec 14, 2008
From time to time

... the amount of plastic cups, bottles and foam that floats right underneath your feet (...) Usually there is a bed of about 20 meters of the stuff.
(...) Does anyone know of a coastal clean up?

From time to time (or on a special day*) there is a clean up with the help of citizens' initiatives.

El Caribe ? Invitan ma?ana a campa?a de limpieza en Malec?n de Santo Domingo

Retiran 10 toneladas de desechos de playas y r?os - listindiario.com

Your personal observation, however, might have just been the result of a wind change..... :rolleyes:

donP

[video=youtube;GXYwcrQYrs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYwcrQYrs4[/video]

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A couple of comments on this thread:
- The source of the article is the ministry of tourism, but that doesn't take away the fact that right now The DR is amongst the top tourist destinations. I travel all over the US on business and I can tell you that some years back I would say I'm from The DR and people wouldn't even know where it's at. Nowadays as soon as I say that someone would say they've been to Punta Cana (most) or Puerto Plata (some) or know someone who went down on vacation and loved it. I'm sure the issues Mexico has been having lately has helped a lot on that front, but regardless I'll take it.

- In terms of environment this is another one of those cases of people coming from first world countries and trying to apply their logic to a developing country. The DR doesn't have the resources and most important the level of education required for people to care about the environment that much, but just like anything progress is being made albeit slowly. For instance nowadays don't cut down the trees to make charcoal (Well some people do, specially Haitians along the border, but it's not a generalized practice like it used to be).

I agree it will take a few generations and constant education to get to that point. Right now people have more pressing issues to worry about than a few quarts of oil on the ground. Besides as the great George Carlin once said "The environment is fine...we're the ones who are fukced". The Adrian Tropical experience is probably due to current changes I highly doubt it that all of sudden people stopped trowing plastic cups into the sea.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
"Dominican Republic is one of the top ten destinations among Hispanic travelers in the U.S. ...."

Now, isn't that surprising.... :cheeky:

They probably also counted the repatriated ex-prisoners (3,874 in 2013)...... :rolleyes:
PR= You pay, they lie for you.

donP

Kaffee aus meiner Nase

15.jpg

May 12, 2005
This is a lovely place with very friendly people but it will take a few lifetimes
to even begin putting a dent into all the work that needs to be done.

e.g recycling, electricity, water, corruption

There was a time when DR had clean streets, 24 hour electricity, water, and functioning bureaucracy...............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Like you were there :tired:

Mr. AE was there. At least once a week I hear him say "In my time......" and I know a story from the Trujillo days is coming. He was 12-13 when Trujillo died, so he has clear memories of life in Santo Domingo during the 1950s. He's not a big fan of him as a person, but I believe he yearns for the days when there were clean streets, electricity, water, and most of all - safety in the streets.