Roof paint?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My house has a concrete Bermuda style roof which is painted white. A couple of years ago we had a "filtration" problem and discovered that most of the paint had peeled off the roof causing the odd drop of water to leak through when it rained hard

We stripped off all the old paint and re-applied several layers of silicone based paint supposedly for roofs.

I went up there to day to survey and found that most of it is peeling and bubbling up again and looks pretty ugly. Is two years about the right life expectancy of this stuff? It wasn't cheap and I don't fancy having to do it all over again every 2 years!

What should I paint my roof with?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Have you used an sealer, like the Lanco stuff they are using. I have a roof just like that and never had any filtration (from that roof), even though much depends on the concrete used. I had some other roofs around the house redone because the concrete was hollow. No matter how many layers of sealant I would apply the rain would come through.

Maybe you should have a mason check the concrete.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The problem that you may be having my friend is that some of your tiles may have cracked... when they applied the sealant, as they expand and contract the paint takes air in, small hole is created, next you get rain and humidity sets in.. the more water gets in, it starts finding where to go. You must locate the leak. If you have an attic look inside with a very strong flashlight and you should be able to see the rotting and the signs of humidity on the roof. If you don't locate where the leak(s) are, you will be wasting your hard earned $$. I had a leak in florida it took us 2 months to finally get it fixed properly. I learned a lot about roofs after that expensive nightmare...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's an open vaulted ceiling with no attic and no false ceilings. I don't have tiles on the roof, it's a tiered incline made out of solid reinforced concrete which is at least six inches thick. Filtration isn't really a big problem. The house isn't damp and I don't have dark patches of mould. I just get the occasional drip form one particular place when it rains hard for a long time.

The main issue is the white paint on the exterior. It's peeling, bubbling and looks ugly.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
We have a Bermuda Roof too and we had the same problem. Generally the roof was okay, but at two places we always had problems with leaks . Furthermore the paint was never lasting very long and it looked ugly most of the time.
We fixed this problem for good with the tar material (tela asfaltica) they burn on the surface. You never have to paint and you can get this material in several colors like black, blue and red ( like the color of tiles). You can also choose to paint the tar material and if you use a good floor paint it will last very long. We did this around 8 or 10 years ago and we never thought about our roof again.
This is not exactly cheap and you should look for a professional person with experience to do the job. Because if badly done it will get loose and the work is worth nothing..
When the job is done, don?t ever let people do any kind of installations on your roof ( like satellite dishes ) . They make holes and ?forget? to repair them again and the water will again find its way? Good luck.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We have a Bermuda Roof too and we had the same problem. Generally the roof was okay, but at two places we always had problems with leaks . Furthermore the paint was never lasting very long and it looked ugly most of the time.
We fixed this problem for good with the tar material (tela asfaltica) they burn on the surface. You never have to paint and you can get this material in several colors like black, blue and red ( like the color of tiles). You can also choose to paint the tar material and if you use a good floor paint it will last very long. We did this around 8 or 10 years ago and we never thought about our roof again.
This is not exactly cheap and you should look for a professional person with experience to do the job. Because if badly done it will get loose and the work is worth nothing..
When the job is done, don’t ever let people do any kind of installations on your roof ( like satellite dishes ) . They make holes and “forget” to repair them again and the water will again find its way… Good luck.

Funny you should say that, the leak is right below where the satellite dish is!

Tar sounds like an idea, but I'm concerned about the colour. The roof was once painted terracotta red and it turned the house into an oven. After repainting it white, the indoor temperature dropped by at least 10 degrees.