United States High School DROPOUT NEEDING HELP

aromero129

Jan 24, 2014
I was born in the United States and dropped out of High School. I have recently moved to the Dominican Republic (and now 31 years old) and would like to take courses to complete my High School studies. Do they offer a G.E.D program as in the United States? Who do I speak to?

Aug 6, 2006
GED's are generally not seen as equivalent to a HS diploma, as there are numerous GE diploma mills. Even accredited colleges are getting away with "life experience" credit. Perhaps this is valid in some cases, but surely not in all.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
GED's are generally not seen as equivalent to a HS diploma, as there are numerous GE diploma mills. Even accredited colleges are getting away with "life experience" credit. Perhaps this is valid in some cases, but surely not in all.

maybe not in the terms of people's opinion... but in general practice for administrative purposes, (job application, etc. etc.) an accredited GED would be considered equal to a H.S. diploma., or at least an acceptable substitute.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I was born in the United States and dropped out of High School. I have recently moved to the Dominican Republic (and now 31 years old) and would like to take courses to complete my High School studies. Do they offer a G.E.D program as in the United States? Who do I speak to?

In the DR's educational system there is NO cut off age to attend high school in order to get your diploma.

First your need a transcript of your high school years in the U.S. and next would be to talk to several of the local HS in the town you reside in the DR. It must be a private school whilst at it.

There's no GED as you are able to complete your studies in the DR as any normal student would in any school here.

The problem for you will be getting back to your school mental stage and knowledge for that year of study you'll re-start at.

You'll best serve by first hiring a tutor to prepare you before going back to HS again!

Aug 6, 2006
There is education, which is what you really KNOW, and then there schooling, which is what a pieces of paper claims you know. One can be extremely well educated without going to school, and have a PhD and still understand very little. I taught HS for four years and college & university for 40, and there were two kinds of students that came to my office to see me. There were the ones who just wanted to see their grades, and there were those who wanted to master the subject. Lamentably, the former outnumbered the latter. Ideally, school can point you in the right direction to learn what is really useful, interesting and important. A lot of self-educated people dedicate themselves to memorizing stuff that is pretty useless, like conspiracy theories, astrology and sports statistics, which are useful marginally or not at all.

Good luck in your educational endeavors!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Good luck to you.

A small tangent: As homeschooling has increased in the United States, the GED has lost a bit of its stigma. Homeschoolers have to have a GED to attend college or technical schools, and many of them have very high marks on the GED test.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know of at least one on-line high school program that a friend of mine's son did. It was through a school located in Morgantown WVa. If you PM SantiagueroDR I am sure he will provide you with the details.

HB

FYI: There are Saturday classes for high school diplomas all over the DR. Takes longer, much longer, but you do get the nationally accredited degree.\

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
my guess is Dominican high diplomas in this country don't mean much ,unless that diploma came from one of the better private schools .

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Florida, to get a HS diploma,a student has to pass a basic skills test called the FCAT. Since I have proctored this test, I know that it is a rather simple test of math, vocabulary and reading comprehension. To get a GED does not require that any student pass the FCAT, and there were signs all over the place announcing "Your diploma in 30 days! No FCAT required!" The state closed down several of the more lenient tutoring companies, and they quit advertising so much, but there are still "schools" that had you a book and give you a short multiple choice quiz alone to get a GED.

I imagine that not all states are so lenient. Our State legislature has a lot of analfabestias who will vote for anything for a campaign donation.