Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AMET retained my licence, I drove away

Yes, according to an AMET lady officer I was talking on my cel phone while driving. I wasn't neither talking on my cel phone nor driving, as I was stopped on a traffic light. I did have the phone in my hand as I usually do (it's my watch, my radio, you know how it is). But that's just a detail, I wasn't about to argue with the lady and told her to just write her ticket and let me go as I was in a hurry. She asked for my driver's license and insurance and I gave them to her. Then she said I wasn't wearing the seat belt, which I had unbuckled to get the documents. She said I had broken two laws and that she was going to have my car towed away until I paid the fines. Now, I wasn't about to let her tow my car, and much less on that obsolete tow truck that was obviously going to damage my car's underside. I told her so. And she said she could have me arrested for resisting, at which time I decided to take off as they were getting ready to put the hooks on my car.
    She of course kept my license. Also the insurance card which really isn't a problem, and the copy of my registration.
    Before you ask, I didn't have enough cash on me to make them all happy, there were like 6 of them around her, all looking for their piece of the loot.
    I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but I knew that letting them take my car to the canodromo most likely meant my car was going to get not only damaged but also vandalized there, and I decided to take my chances. I rather pay whatever fines they want instead of several thousand dollars of repairs and replacement parts for my car.

My question is, has anybody had their license retained by an AMET, and how did you get it back or replaced?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucks, by law she shouldn't tow your car for that, were you acting up?

Do you know anyone in the Amet organization that can do a good word for you? If not, send a Dominican friend to the Amet office and let him explain what happened, admitting humbly you were wrong and will pay the fines. Well, that's what I would do, no guarantee of success ofcourse.

3. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't acting up. I just told her to give me the ticket so I could leave. Apparently she wasn't interested in giving me the ticket. As I said, there were many of them roaming around the car and making comments among them, and I admit I got a little nervous.
    I think your idea of admitting my "fault" humbly is a good one, I'm just not sure they will not want to arrest me for taking off or something worse. I guess I could reach somebody of some level within Amet, but I'm not used to it. I'd hate to do that, but if I have no other choice I guess I'll do it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Yes, according to an AMET lady officer I was talking on my cel phone while driving. I wasn't neither talking on my cel phone nor driving, as I was stopped on a traffic light. I did have the phone in my hand as I usually do (it's my watch, my radio, you know how it is). But that's just a detail, I wasn't about to argue with the lady and told her to just write her ticket and let me go as I was in a hurry. She asked for my driver's license and insurance and I gave them to her. Then she said I wasn't wearing the seat belt, which I had unbuckled to get the documents. She said I had broken two laws and that she was going to have my car towed away until I paid the fines. Now, I wasn't about to let her tow my car, and much less on that obsolete tow truck that was obviously going to damage my car's underside. I told her so. And she said she could have me arrested for resisting, at which time I decided to take off as they were getting ready to put the hooks on my car.
    She of course kept my license. Also the insurance card which really isn't a problem, and the copy of my registration.
    Before you ask, I didn't have enough cash on me to make them all happy, there were like 6 of them around her, all looking for their piece of the loot.
    I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but I knew that letting them take my car to the canodromo most likely meant my car was going to get not only damaged but also vandalized there, and I decided to take my chances. I rather pay whatever fines they want instead of several thousand dollars of repairs and replacement parts for my car.

My question is, has anybody had their license retained by an AMET, and how did you get it back or replaced?
    Before they come after you, I think you should get a lawyer, someone who has good relations with the police, and let him be the middle man.

There is a lawyer in the building across from Productos Sosua, in the same building as the Post Office, that has very good police contacts. Can't think of his name, but will get it tomorrow if you want. He would be very good if you could get to him before the police come to seize your car.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ken. I'm in SD. The lawyer is also a good idea, though.
    They won't be able to reach me, or find out where Ithe car is, that's for sure. I don't drive that car every day so being in the look out won't help them either.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

His name is Rafael Merette. He is a lawyer, did detective work for Balaguer. Has superior relations with the police.

8. Likes Castle liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Thanks, Ken. I'm in SD. The lawyer is also a good idea, though.
    They won't be able to reach me, or find out where Ithe car is, that's for sure. I don't drive that car every day so being in the look out won't help them either.
    Did this happen in SD or on the north coast?

I tend to think that the sooner your representative can work this out the police, the better. They know who you are and can put a stop on your leaving the country. They can also put out a Dominican equivalent of an all points.

You are likely to find yourself in 3-month detention while waiting for your case to be heard.

If it were me, I'd want to make amends with the police while there is still an opportunity.

Us foreigners don't have much going for us. You fled the scene, resisted arrest (will be claimed), and have 6 uniformed witnesses to refute anything you say.

I think you are in deep dodo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm this is a tough one. In the same situation i wouldve probably done the exact same thing. Or better yet I wouldve done everything possible to not get stopped in the first place but sometimes that just doesnt work out lol.

Out of curiousity, what kind of car is it??

Not sure if AMET will go through the hassle of trying to track you down but if you travel alot it might pop up sometime in the future on your way in or out of the country. Where is your license from? DR? States?

Did they not give chase??? You would think with all these new little green turds (motorcycles) theyve got now theyd be itching to open one up chasing after a criminal cell phone holdee.lol

Consulting a lawyer is always a good idea. IMHO if they dont come looking, dont go "making yourself available" to them by trying to talk to them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You are trying to find out what is the problem, but it looks like there's no problem at all.

Why don't you go to the police, say that you have lost your license, then go to Ban Reservas to pay for the new plastic, then go to get a duplicate?

If she did not give you the ticket, that means that they don't have a copy of a ticket, so there is no infraction in the database. And, since the retaining of your license was illegal, it can't be in the database too. You can check the database online here http://amet.pgr.gob.do/Consulta/Default.aspx

So she just stole your license, that's it. Go and get a duplicate.

12. Likes VJS, beeza, jinty05, yacht chef, westcan and 1 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think getting a duplicate fast is a good idea (as well as talking (via a middle man or lawyer) to the Amet as soon as possible). I wouldn't dare to say though that there is no issue. For her to have a copy of the fine is easy even though she didn't get a chance to give it to you. And that you fled the scene is obviously something they could report if they wanted.

I wouldn't doubt calling in a favor from someone, since you are just preventing an unfair treatment.

By the way, I doubt they'd go through the hassle of an impediment for this.

14. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast