AMET retained my licence, I drove away

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, according to an AMET lady officer I was talking on my cel phone while driving. I wasn't neither talking on my cel phone nor driving, as I was stopped on a traffic light. I did have the phone in my hand as I usually do (it's my watch, my radio, you know how it is). But that's just a detail, I wasn't about to argue with the lady and told her to just write her ticket and let me go as I was in a hurry. She asked for my driver's license and insurance and I gave them to her. Then she said I wasn't wearing the seat belt, which I had unbuckled to get the documents. She said I had broken two laws and that she was going to have my car towed away until I paid the fines. Now, I wasn't about to let her tow my car, and much less on that obsolete tow truck that was obviously going to damage my car's underside. I told her so. And she said she could have me arrested for resisting, at which time I decided to take off as they were getting ready to put the hooks on my car.
She of course kept my license. Also the insurance card which really isn't a problem, and the copy of my registration.
Before you ask, I didn't have enough cash on me to make them all happy, there were like 6 of them around her, all looking for their piece of the loot.
I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but I knew that letting them take my car to the canodromo most likely meant my car was going to get not only damaged but also vandalized there, and I decided to take my chances. I rather pay whatever fines they want instead of several thousand dollars of repairs and replacement parts for my car.

My question is, has anybody had their license retained by an AMET, and how did you get it back or replaced?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That sucks, by law she shouldn't tow your car for that, were you acting up?

Do you know anyone in the Amet organization that can do a good word for you? If not, send a Dominican friend to the Amet office and let him explain what happened, admitting humbly you were wrong and will pay the fines. Well, that's what I would do, no guarantee of success ofcourse.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wasn't acting up. I just told her to give me the ticket so I could leave. Apparently she wasn't interested in giving me the ticket. As I said, there were many of them roaming around the car and making comments among them, and I admit I got a little nervous.
I think your idea of admitting my "fault" humbly is a good one, I'm just not sure they will not want to arrest me for taking off or something worse. I guess I could reach somebody of some level within Amet, but I'm not used to it. I'd hate to do that, but if I have no other choice I guess I'll do it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, according to an AMET lady officer I was talking on my cel phone while driving. I wasn't neither talking on my cel phone nor driving, as I was stopped on a traffic light. I did have the phone in my hand as I usually do (it's my watch, my radio, you know how it is). But that's just a detail, I wasn't about to argue with the lady and told her to just write her ticket and let me go as I was in a hurry. She asked for my driver's license and insurance and I gave them to her. Then she said I wasn't wearing the seat belt, which I had unbuckled to get the documents. She said I had broken two laws and that she was going to have my car towed away until I paid the fines. Now, I wasn't about to let her tow my car, and much less on that obsolete tow truck that was obviously going to damage my car's underside. I told her so. And she said she could have me arrested for resisting, at which time I decided to take off as they were getting ready to put the hooks on my car.
She of course kept my license. Also the insurance card which really isn't a problem, and the copy of my registration.
Before you ask, I didn't have enough cash on me to make them all happy, there were like 6 of them around her, all looking for their piece of the loot.
I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but I knew that letting them take my car to the canodromo most likely meant my car was going to get not only damaged but also vandalized there, and I decided to take my chances. I rather pay whatever fines they want instead of several thousand dollars of repairs and replacement parts for my car.

My question is, has anybody had their license retained by an AMET, and how did you get it back or replaced?

Before they come after you, I think you should get a lawyer, someone who has good relations with the police, and let him be the middle man.

There is a lawyer in the building across from Productos Sosua, in the same building as the Post Office, that has very good police contacts. Can't think of his name, but will get it tomorrow if you want. He would be very good if you could get to him before the police come to seize your car.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Thanks, Ken. I'm in SD. The lawyer is also a good idea, though.
They won't be able to reach me, or find out where Ithe car is, that's for sure. I don't drive that car every day so being in the look out won't help them either.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
His name is Rafael Merette. He is a lawyer, did detective work for Balaguer. Has superior relations with the police.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Ken. I'm in SD. The lawyer is also a good idea, though.
They won't be able to reach me, or find out where Ithe car is, that's for sure. I don't drive that car every day so being in the look out won't help them either.

Did this happen in SD or on the north coast?

I tend to think that the sooner your representative can work this out the police, the better. They know who you are and can put a stop on your leaving the country. They can also put out a Dominican equivalent of an all points.

You are likely to find yourself in 3-month detention while waiting for your case to be heard.

If it were me, I'd want to make amends with the police while there is still an opportunity.

Us foreigners don't have much going for us. You fled the scene, resisted arrest (will be claimed), and have 6 uniformed witnesses to refute anything you say.

I think you are in deep dodo.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Hmmm this is a tough one. In the same situation i wouldve probably done the exact same thing. Or better yet I wouldve done everything possible to not get stopped in the first place but sometimes that just doesnt work out lol.

Out of curiousity, what kind of car is it??

Not sure if AMET will go through the hassle of trying to track you down but if you travel alot it might pop up sometime in the future on your way in or out of the country. Where is your license from? DR? States?

Did they not give chase??? You would think with all these new little green turds (motorcycles) theyve got now theyd be itching to open one up chasing after a criminal cell phone holdee.lol

Consulting a lawyer is always a good idea. IMHO if they dont come looking, dont go "making yourself available" to them by trying to talk to them.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
You are trying to find out what is the problem, but it looks like there's no problem at all.

Why don't you go to the police, say that you have lost your license, then go to Ban Reservas to pay for the new plastic, then go to get a duplicate?

If she did not give you the ticket, that means that they don't have a copy of a ticket, so there is no infraction in the database. And, since the retaining of your license was illegal, it can't be in the database too. You can check the database online here http://amet.pgr.gob.do/Consulta/Default.aspx

So she just stole your license, that's it. Go and get a duplicate.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think getting a duplicate fast is a good idea (as well as talking (via a middle man or lawyer) to the Amet as soon as possible). I wouldn't dare to say though that there is no issue. For her to have a copy of the fine is easy even though she didn't get a chance to give it to you. And that you fled the scene is obviously something they could report if they wanted.

I wouldn't doubt calling in a favor from someone, since you are just preventing an unfair treatment.

By the way, I doubt they'd go through the hassle of an impediment for this.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Pretty sure you are gonna need a lawyer. I will ask my father in law tomorrow what he thinks. I am gonna just go ahead and assume u are whitesh? Get your windows tinted really dark. Including the windshield. I know from experience us white folks are targeted. Personally, when i see the police i never ever look in their direction. Learned the hard way. From what i understand dominican law requires you have two hands on the steering wheel.

Doubt they will come looking for you They will just put note on you that will prevent you from leaving the country.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Hmmm this is a tough one. In the same situation i wouldve probably done the exact same thing. Or better yet I wouldve done everything possible to not get stopped in the first place but sometimes that just doesnt work out lol.

Out of curiousity, what kind of car is it??

Not sure if AMET will go through the hassle of trying to track you down but if you travel alot it might pop up sometime in the future on your way in or out of the country. Where is your license from? DR? States?

Did they not give chase??? You would think with all these new little green turds (motorcycles) theyve got now theyd be itching to open one up chasing after a criminal cell phone holdee.lol

Consulting a lawyer is always a good idea. IMHO if they dont come looking, dont go "making yourself available" to them by trying to talk to them.

It's a BMW. It sits very low and it takes a lot of patience and skill to put this car on a platform without damaging both bumpers, muffler, etc. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about cars with expensive parts being stripped at canodromo.
I don't travel much. Maybe once a year.
It's a dominican licence.
I know making myself available is not a good idea, but I do need my license.

You are trying to find out what is the problem, but it looks like there's no problem at all.

Why don't you go to the police, say that you have lost your license, then go to Ban Reservas to pay for the new plastic, then go to get a duplicate?

If she did not give you the ticket, that means that they don't have a copy of a ticket, so there is no infraction in the database. And, since the retaining of your license was illegal, it can't be in the database too. You can check the database online here Consulta de Contravenciones de AMET

So she just stole your license, that's it. Go and get a duplicate.

Interesting reasoning. I was told I was not going to be able to get the license again since it would be "blocked" in the system until everything is worked out. But you have a point when you say she was not supposed to retain the license and she had to give me a copy of the ticket. I guess these are things a lawyer could use in my favor. Using a lawyer to solve something like this in DR seems so odd, but it might well be the best idea. Maybe I could use the link to check if any record appears in the next few days, and then try to get a duplicate if everything is ok. I just hope they update that web often enough...:rolleyes:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......But you have a point when you say she was not supposed to retain the license and she had to give me a copy of the ticket. I guess these are things a lawyer could use in my favor........

Don't think so, AMET will simply say you left before they could finish writing the ticket and return your license. Get a lawyer, but if I were you I sure wouldn't go to AMET myself and try to resolve the problem.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I would just get a new license and forget about the whole thing. I really doubt AMET will come knocking on your door, they turned their attention to the next target 5 seconds after you left.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
It's a BMW. It sits very low and it takes a lot of patience and skill to put this car on a platform without damaging both bumpers, muffler, etc. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about cars with expensive parts being stripped at canodromo.
I don't travel much. Maybe once a year.
It's a dominican licence.
I know making myself available is not a good idea, but I do need my license.

Interesting reasoning. I was told I was not going to be able to get the license again since it would be "blocked" in the system until everything is worked out. But you have a point when you say she was not supposed to retain the license and she had to give me a copy of the ticket. I guess these are things a lawyer could use in my favor. Using a lawyer to solve something like this in DR seems so odd, but it might well be the best idea. Maybe I could use the link to check if any record appears in the next few days, and then try to get a duplicate if everything is ok. I just hope they update that web often enough...:rolleyes:

Any chance this happened on Nunez and you were in a white Z3?? lol Just curious cause I saw a bmw speed away from some AMETs today...

You definitely need to get on with replacing your DL ASAP before they have a chance to enter you in the system. Good luck with everything, hope it turns out well.

*Fight the Power* lol

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Personally I think you are FU*KED.....you think a whore who is scorned is bad, you just messed with a chick that has some sort of authority, and she will have a vendetta against you, and your beamer ...... my thoughts anyway

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Amet

What happened to you was an old fashioned shakedown. I think you were targeted because you drive an impractical and valuable car that attracts the attention of underpaid thirsty traffic wardens, but you probably already know that.

About ten years ago or so, it was common for AMET to retain licenses when they gave out violation citations. The practice was stopped and as far as I know it hasn't been officially reinstated. Many drivers at the time would carry copies of their license to present to AMET instead of the original. I never bothered with copies because I rarely get stopped and I was and am rarely asked to present a license when I am stopped. One in 2005 or so I think I was stopped and asked to show my license and I got a ticket for going through a red light or something similar - I don't really remember. TO get my license back, I had to go to AMET on San Martin and wait in a long line to pay the traffic fine and show identification. The clerk gave me my license. I think I was there for two hours or so. I haven't heard about anyone getting their license retained in years. You abandoned your license.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I agree 100%. He should get a replacement license. He should claim it was lost. He may or may not have to pay a fine beyond the license replacement fee. I doubt the AMET people filed any paperwork. I would not be surprised to find out they discarded the license to avoid getting into trouble. If I'm wrong there may be fines to pay. I think everybody should calm down about the lawyers and influence peddling at AMET. I'm surprised how few people suggested trying to replace the license and getting on with life. If that doesn't turn out to be possible then maybe a lawyer might be necessary but I would not start with that because it is guaranteed to make whatever the situation is more expensive.

If u are gonna try to get a duplicate u want to do that sooner than later.

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
Ok, so they were basically going to at minimum rob you. More than likely you would have never seen that car again. SD is diff than NC AMET in that in NC they won't take a bribe. I would have never given my info and just drove off, but the fact that you did give ur info is kinda bad, but remember you are in a third world country. They are afraid to lose they jobs. TAKE THE OFFENSIVE. Contact the embassy in SD and tell them that you were almost car jacked and had to escape to save yourself and car. Second get a lawyer, the embassy can help you with this. You driving away actually helps your case. Claim that you were scared because they were threatening you and saying you were doing things that you weren't doing in order to take your car. Go public, contact the newspaper. "Tourist flees AMET carjacker" Like I said, these people lie and steal bc they think they can, but when it comes down to their jobs on the line, They don't wanna lose that good 8000 pesos salary. Be a victim. Trust me, but don't trust the dominicans. admitting you are wrong is NOT the answer.

This country needs us, foreigners and the money we bring, far more that we do them. They don't like bad press, especially worldwide that could affect tourism and other ex-pats moving and investing here. TAKE THE OFFENSIVE.