Need a cultural lesson in hair

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Is there a Dominican term for the netting that many women wear in the DR to protect their hair while sleeping or engaging in anything that may damage or ruin their hair styles?

RMS

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
'"tubi" rhymes with ruby is one word I have heard.

Don't know about the net.

HB

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It is called a Redecilla or Redesilla, not sure of the spelling.

Redecilla is correct. the tubi(beehive) is the term used when the hair is rapped around the head and
held in place with bobby pins thus resembling a beehive.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
I assume that it makes one's hair easier to comb out in the preferred bone straight fashion for special occasions without a visit to the salon. It prevents bedhead in the morning as well.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Redecilla = little net.
Whatever you plan to do with it, please do not follow the horrible local tendency of going outside wearing it. Such a turn off.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Redecilla = little net.
Whatever you plan to do with it, please do not follow the horrible local tendency of going outside wearing it. Such a turn off.

I find the tubi quite charming...to me it represents the "Dominican" look. What I don't care for are the girls with the huge rolos.

Going to the Salon is quite a process for a Dominican girl with nappy hair, thus the need to try to keep it from messing up for as long as possible.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I know a few girls who will never go out wearing it, and I respect them for that. They will do and undo their tubi as many times as they need to. The whole purpose of a salon is to look good. Wearing a tubi is quite the opposite. Besides, nappy hair is not exclusive to dominican girls, and I swear I had never seen so many girls walking around with tubis anywhere else.

But that's just me.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for the lesson. After nine trips in seven months I guess I'm used to a redecilla in pr?vate or public. I never had the guts to ask my girlfriend the first time I saw her wear it and for some reason I just never thought to ask her. Interestingly the word translates in English as "snood", which is exactly what I thought the accessory was to begin with when I saw it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hmmmmm,
Obviously most of you do not have hard to handle hair.
If you get your hair done for an occasion, it is quite alright to wear the net until you are attending that occasion. We women that do, actually do not care if it turns you off or on.

When I'm home I will get my hair done at the salon on Saturday morning for church on Sunday. At the salon I will have it wrapped, put my little net on and wear it the rest of the day wherever I need to go. Why? Someone said it should be taken down and just rewrapped however many times as necessary.....bwaaaaaaaaaaaa. This depends on where you are in your cycle of "alizado". If you are close to needing your next alizado, taking down your hair and running errands can ruin a perfectly good salon trip. If you are "recien alizado" then yes, brush it down, get home and wrap it back up. But if not, its kept on until Sunday morning :)

Understanding this will require an understanding of straightening, new growth, etc, etc, most of which you all have no clue so no need to go into it. But again, understand, we do not care how you think it makes us look. For me, I prefer looking nice when I go to church rather than treating some strange men on the street to my very fresh blow out...who are you anyway?

LOL

So now you know. If I'm a week or two away from needing to alizarme, don't invite me to your house on a Saturday....I'm coming with my net. I mean, if its something really fancy, I can treat you to my brown one with the yellow flower on the side but thats the best you're gonna get. Church trumps uppity extranjeros :cheeky:

SHALENA

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Redecilla is the standard Spanish word for hairnet.

With the tubi, is the hair wound one way round the head first, and then reversed? That's the way it's done in the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern countries.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Thanks for the insight Shalena.
From now on I will save a lot of cologne. I will tell people it's not for them to smell, I will only use it to go to church!

:)

PS: I'm sorry, I don't want to offend anybody. I just come from a place where women will not let themselves be seen unless they look as sharp as they can. That means, no chancletas, no tubis, no rolos and at least basic make up before stepping out the door. They take pride in that.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for the insight Shalena.
From now on I will save a lot of cologne. I will tell people it's not for them to smell, I will only use it to go to church!

:)

PS: I'm sorry, I don't want to offend anybody. I just come from a place where women will not let themselves be seen unless they look as sharp as they can. That means, no chancletas, no tubis, no rolos and at least basic make up before stepping out the door. They take pride in that.

Would that place happen to be called Wisteria Lane?

There's no offense taken, and I'm glad you live in a place like that. That must be very nice for you boys. LOL

SHALENA

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Would that place happen to be called Wisteria Lane?

There's no offense taken, and I'm glad you live in a place like that. That must be very nice for you boys. LOL

SHALENA

I live in DR. But part of my childhood and early adolescence was spent in Venezuela. To this day, I've never found a place where women are so careful with their look. I'm not saying it's the right thing (although for us boys it is), but that's how things are down there.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Reading this thread gave me a flashback to ex-wife #1. (and a cold chill) Between the green mask on her face and the big curlers under the silk nightcap and the unsexy bigas robe with the matching (both were in tatters) fuzzy slippers....I had to take her out to dinner just to remember what she looked like.

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Shalena said it best!!! Btw I've heard the nets referred to as tubi also, never heard of another word for them. When I would straighten my hair at home I'd always put it up in the tubi at night time and take it down in the day if I had to leave the house. It saved my hair from getting broken and greasy as fast. I'm too lazy to do it lately though ;)