Grits?

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I am dying for some cheese grits. Is it called semola de maize? Is this available here? I havent been to the grocery store in a couple of weeks. I thought maybe negrite?? Was grits but the wifey says negrite(spelling?) is sweet. Got about a month before i return to the states currently thinking my first stop when i leave the airport stateside is going to be waffle house. For a BLT, hashbrowns chopped diced smothered and capped and cheese grits. Second stop is going to be publix for some ny strips. Oh my god my mouth is watering now.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Honestly i dont know. I just know i have eaten grits since i was a baby. When we lived in maine when i was a child my dad would have his mom send us boxes of grits because we couldnt get them there. I may just have to add that to my list of things to bring back with me. Along with lowry's seasoning salt and chili powder. And Crown Royal. Only found it one time here, and pretty sure it was fake.

Aug 6, 2006
I have noticed that the black pepper I have seen in the DR is basically stale gray dust with a slightly unpleasant flavor. The best I have found in the US is Badia Butcher Block, much better than grinding your own.

In Missouri when I was a kid, we had fried cornmeal mush.It is very close to polenta, only fried, and served with pancake syrup.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For grits you want coarse ground corn meal, which is called Harina de Maiz...you can see inside the package, some is fine some is coarse...it's really cheap, around 15-20 pesos a pound and available in every colmado and supermarket. I use a combination of the fine and coarse ground for polenta.

The stuff for Aprepas is called masarepa which is pre-cooked corn meal and includes lime (not the fruit).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Grits ain't grocery, eggs and poulty and Mona Lisa was a man

I feel a song coming on now that we have that straightened out:

[video=youtube;tGS2mSx4ags]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGS2mSx4ags[/video]

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
They have grits -- real grits -- a Playero in Sosua most of the time...near the oatmeal and in the round quaker oats box. If you want cheese/grits, just add cheese, preferably not Dominican cheese as it becomes gooey and chewey. Try plain on American cheese slices or the Cracker Barrel imported kind. Good luck. I love grits...grew up in Mississippi. When I lived in England, I had my mom ship me a care package with (regular) French's Mustard, Grits and Jergan's lotion. The packages broke open...what a mess!!! :)

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Thanx judy. Im in SD. I will check la sirena and look a little harder in carre four.

What does the pdr stand for? The reason i ask is pdr is what i do. Paintless dent removal. Anyway. Thanks again.