Battery filling

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was checking the water level of my four inverter batteries. (All four interstate, bought together about half a year ago).

It surprised me that 2 were good, one needed an urgent refill in all three compartments and one needed a refill in only one compartment.

To me it would make sense if all batteries more or less need a refill at the same time. Is this normal?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
No idea, sorry. Bought 8 in september, have needed filling twice.....

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I always find that the batteries at both extremes of the bank need more water than the rest. Maybe because they get hotter?. And not all the compartment need the same amount, either. In any case, I think it's normal behavior.

Aug 6, 2006
Heat would be the most likely supposition. Perhaps one battery gets more light. You could cover the batteries with a tarp and see if that made a difference.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Very worthwhile, useful answer!

Well was just wondering how his water lasted so long.......

But there again ure insight made everything much clearer for the entire mankind!!!!:D

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I had refilled before...like two months after buying. It wasn't really necessary but I added a little in each hole. My slow mind makes me realize now that I might have added less water in that battery the first time...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Check the water levels at least every month. Different cells have slightly different chemistry even within the same battery. The poorer the quality of the battery the faster these differences show up over time. The charging and discharging process uses up some of the electrolyte so everyone will have different results because of how much power they use.

As the batteries age, they tend to use more and more water as they sulphate, become warmer and use more water as well as becoming less efficient while doing so.

I have noticed that the batteries at the end of a string tend to need more water than those in the middle and my batteries are not exposed to the sun.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't know about AGM batteries, but I once tried with Gel batteries and my inverter (2.5k) didn't seem to charge them properly. Those were batteries I got as surplus from Claro (then Verizon) who used them to power cell sites during blackouts for a few seconds until the power plant kicked in. They were huge, so heavy that I could not mount them on the wall and had to leave them at floor level. They were brand new and died within a year. I think AGM batteries are more flexible in their uses, though

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
cross tie your batteries, they charge/discharge more evenly accross the bank last 30 - 50% longer.

g'luck

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
cross tie your batteries, they charge/discharge more evenly accross the bank last 30 - 50% longer.

g'luck

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "cross tie your batteries" mean? If it makes the batteries last so much longer I would like to do it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the deep cycle gel type - they work well (5 yrs and counting) but I see there are newer ones.... one of these new ones = 2 of mine.

W/O doing a full blown cost analysis, I suggest that batteries are a good place to spend a bit - go the extra inch, so to speak.

It's the batteries you need when the lights go out.......I don't skimp there - plenty of other places, but not on the batteries.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just don't cover your batteries with a "tarp"!
Or anything else!
They need some air to take away the "Acid Fumes"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Excuse my ignorance, but what does "cross tie your batteries" mean? If it makes the batteries last so much longer I would like to do it!

This guy says NO.
I would say "NO" to cross tying a battery bank.

If all is working well, then cross ties do nothing (as you have confirmed with your current measurements).

The only time cross tying would "help" is when there is an open cell or electrical connection--And that comes with lots of issues:

If the cross tie "works", then the bypassed failed cell means that other series cell(s) will be in danger of being over discharged (i.e., if you have two parallel strings, that would mean a 50% discharge of the "whole" string would be a 100% discharge of the cell carrying the bypassed current).

And, the whole issue of fusing/breakers... Normally, with paralleled battery strings, you only need one breaker/fuse per string for over current protection. With cross tied batteries, in theory each cross tie would need fusing/breakers too (nobody is going to do that).

Lastly, it makes checking the battery bank for faults (open/shorted cells, bad cabling, etc.) that much more difficult. You have to measure cross tie current to make sure it is zero, and if it is not, then you have to figure out why it is not zero (probably disconnecting the cross tie for debugging). Makes voltage measurements across cells/battery meaningless--If you measure 12.x volts across a cross tied battery, which battery is supplying that voltage (are other batteries low/failed?).

I cannot think of a reason for cross tying that would give any real advantages--And lots of real disadvantages.

And, like Marc/Cariboocoot finds when he makes a black/white answer, I will be awaiting somebody telling me I am wrong and there is/are real advantages for doing this (just none that I can think of).

-Bill "been there, done that" B.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
220v reduction

A quick note on batteries from the Frontier. First off I am on only my second set of batteries in eight ( 8 ) years and have an eight ( 8 ) battery set up. Still using my original invertor.

1: Buy the best you can afford, this is not a item in this country that you can scrimp on.

2: Check your water levels on a regular basis. I have a 12 month schedule posted next to my invertor and check off each month as they are checked. It is IMPORTANT that you NEVER let the water level drop low enough as to expose the cells. This is more important than even the amount of water you add. I bought a 50ml large syringe from the pharmacy and normally just add some 20 - 30ml. Making a note as to amount added.

3: DO NOT OVERFILL ! This is probably the most consistant habit that will shorten the life of your battery system. You need to just keep the water level above the cells...If you fill to what you think is the full level you will have overflow when the batteries heat up.

4: Set your charger at a LESS THAN MAXIMIUM charging rate. It seems most folks want to get their battiers recharged as quickly as possible because of the lack of consistant power usually provided here. FASTER does not help...Slower at a consistant voltage is the key. but how to do this ???

5: The secret to slow and consistant is a trick that I believe is the key to my battery systems long life cycle. As we are all aware, or should be, there is NO SUCH THING as 110v power in this country. When I was first setting up my system I started by answering the basis question of JUST HOW MUCH VOLTAGE was EDESUR giving my house on a regular basis...the answer varied but it average out to about 90v on any given day and less on some days. This will burn up your inverter quickly and for the most part will not recharge your batteries on an efficient basis. The secret is to set up your systems using the 220V line that is available to most houses...while this is still not 220v it is definitly more than 90v. What you do is buy a REDUCTION transformer ( I believe I paid less than 1000rd for mine ) that is put on the 220v power source and is inline to your iinverter/charger so that it will send out steady 110v. Ah la !!! less time charging...less wear and tear on your system, = longer life.

that all...An Observation from the Frontier....kFrancis de Cabral

Last edited:

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Two quick notes to my input on batteries:

1: My cost was 10,000rd not 1000rd for the reduction transformer...forgot a 0....at the time the peso was 25:1.

2: Not sure they are still in business but here is where I got it: J.J Transformadores SA, Calle 4ta No. 1, Los Mameyes, SD
ph: 788-0171 / 592-8378

kFrancisco de Cabral