In praise of?.sabila (aloe vera)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Continuing my series of threads trying to actually be positive about things here :) (apart form las chicas of course!)
?i present to you sabila

Twice in the last two months i have developed an awful sore throat (always for me the precursor to a stinking cold) only for it to abate before the cold stage by taking raw sabila several times a day.
I now swear by it.

And am even happier now that i have learned that you should wash off the vile-tasting gel and just eat the 'crystal'.
I mash it up with a little honey and just swallow it down.

I have also been eating a load of grapefruits which i am sure has also helped?sadly almost at the end of their season however :(

So, if you're more addicted to pills and powders from the farmacia to treat colds, i strongly encourage you to give sabila a go!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
what do you mean by wash off the gel and eat the crystal? It seems to me that there is only gel.. do you mean the meat of the plant?

and why not just call it aloe? why sabila? I thought everyone called it aloe. At least that is what we call it in the States. .(you probaly know more about it than me.. like its Latin name and stuff)....

I use it for burns.

Aug 6, 2006
If you google aloe vera crystals, you will find what she is referring to.

The gel may be very good for you, but it taste bitter and vile beyond belief to me.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The gel is used for skin problems ( burns, itches, rashes... ) here in the campo.....

I have quite a few plants in the garden and they become huge!! By the way
I like it when they flower.....

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
firstly i aint a she!

and secondly…when you cut open the leaf you will find the nasty yellow gel and then the more solid 'crystal' or core.
Wash the gel off (this is great for skin abrasions) and keep the 'solid' remains. This is the crystal.

And i call it 'sabila' because that is its name here!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Sabila is used here for everything: from beauty treatments to cold remedies, and protecting your home from witchcraft and the "evil eye".

Last edited:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's especially good for Dominican tattoos - carburetor burns from motos - not only relieves the sting/pain, it eliminates being scarred.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh yeah aguaita!! I forgot we have a bunch hanging from some string in the kiosko...... to ward of eveil spirits.
As well as a blue cross on top of doors from a special square chalk.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(dv8 ponders the thread)

i'm not into eating vile stuff. love aloe gel for burns but for the cold i use hot water with lemon and honey and eat lots of garlic/onions. tasty and healthy.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
me too DV8 but i have to say that sabila seems far far more efficacious.
Other stuff like ginger and lemon can help with the symptoms, but only sabila (and grayfroo!) can actually stop you from getting sick in the first place!

And once you wash off the gel, its really not so horrible

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Oh yeah aguaita!! I forgot we have a bunch hanging from some string in the kiosko...... to ward of eveil spirits.
As well as a blue cross on top of doors from a special square chalk.........

If one of those falls, that means that someone?s wicked wishes against you have been reversed. LOL